Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de> on 2016/03/15 21:18:08 UTC

GSoC 2016

I don't have a good project idea for GSoC 2016, which is sad because I
like the concept.

Here some not-good project ideas:

- JPX converter - we really need that, but I don't have enough skills to
be able to mentor that. I had an idea who could mentor that and he would
be perfect, but he doesn't have the time :-(
- Transparency groups - several skilled people have tried and have not
fully succeeded in this, so it could well be that a student tries and
then fails and everybody is unhappy.

Thus this year, I'll just relax and maybe do some stuff on my own.

Tilman

Re: GSoC 2016

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 17.03.2016 um 01:29 schrieb John Hewson:
> We could do with a new text extractor, from the ground-up.

But not this year with me as main mentor, I'm not deep enough in text
extraction yet. Although I'm willing to support whatever somebody else
does with my opinion, suggestions, and tests.

The time investment in GSoC for me was about 1 hour per day, maybe more
at the beginning, and less later, and more at the very end.

Tilman

Re: GSoC 2016

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.
> On 15 Mar 2016, at 13:18, Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de> wrote:
>
> I don't have a good project idea for GSoC 2016, which is sad because I like the concept.
>
> Here some not-good project ideas:
>
> - JPX converter - we really need that, but I don't have enough skills to be able to mentor that. I had an idea who could mentor that and he would be perfect, but he doesn't have the time :-(
> - Transparency groups - several skilled people have tried and have not fully succeeded in this, so it could well be that a student tries and then fails and everybody is unhappy.
>
> Thus this year, I'll just relax and maybe do some stuff on my own.

We could do with a new text extractor, from the ground-up.

— John

Re: GSoC 2016

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.
> On 15 Mar 2016, at 23:09, Sumit Saha <su...@adobe.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Everyone,
> Can you please point out any good documents on transparency groups apart from PDF spec 1.7.

Yes, there’s an Adobe technical note, it’s 80 pages long:

http://www.planetpdf.com/planetpdf/pdfs/PDF_Transparency2.pdf

— John

Re: GSoC 2016

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 16.03.2016 um 07:09 schrieb Sumit Saha:
> Hi Everyone,
> Can you please point out any good documents on transparency groups apart from PDF spec 1.7.

I don't have any. You should ask that question in the company you work
now, they likely have some of the best graphics developers in the world.

Tilman

RE: GSoC 2016

Posted by Sumit Saha <su...@adobe.com>.
Hi Everyone,

Re: GSoC 2016

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 15.03.2016 um 21:21 schrieb Maruan Sahyoun:
> well - we could need some help in improving the annotation support (construction, appearance generation ..) - I'm not a skilled enough programmer to mentor someone though

You shouldn't worry about that :-)
https://tinyurl.com/h73djku

Tilman

Re: GSoC 2016