Posted to log4php-dev@logging.apache.org by Christian Hammers <ch...@lathspell.de> on 2009/10/10 11:39:04 UTC

Licence headers in examples/

Hi

Oh, wait... Licence headers in the examples/ directory are kind of
problematic:

First those files are meant to be included in both the
apidocs and the *.apt documentation. The latter relies on the SNIPPET
tags but the former looks pretty ugly if every 4-line example has a
20 lines licence headers in the middle of the class documentation.

Secondly the examples show what the users are supposed to write in
their applications. If we put a licence header on those examples we
do kind of claim a copyright on it, right? Not only that seems
questionable given the small size of the examples, wouldn't that
also mean that we also claim a copyright on the users application if
he just copy & paste the examples to his program? :)

Also I found http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers:

	What files in an Apache release do not require a license
	header?

	A file without any degree of creativity in either its literal
	elements or its structure is not protected by copyright law;
	therefore, such a file does not require a license header. If in
	doubt about the extent of the file's creativity, add the license
	header to the file.

The same page also says that files which are meant to be displayed on
the web page (i.e. apidocs and documentation) do not need to carry
a licence header.

What do you think?

bye,

-christian-

RE: Licence headers in examples/

Posted by Gavin <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Right, I think we are ok for these snippets, so I'll remove those 2 headers
I put in and then configure RAT to ignore those files (currently it tells us
we have 58 files without licenses).

> Also I found http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers:
>
> 	What files in an Apache release do not require a license
> 	header?
>
> 	A file without any degree of creativity in either its literal
> 	elements or its structure is not protected by copyright law;
> 	therefore, such a file does not require a license header. If in
> 	doubt about the extent of the file's creativity, add the license
> 	header to the file.
>
> The same page also says that files which are meant to be displayed on
> the web page (i.e. apidocs and documentation) do not need to carry
> a licence header.
>
> What do you think?

That's a fine line; it also depends on whether we distribute the docs and
website with a release, or just simply provide instructions on how to build
those locally.

These are the sorts of things we can find out as we go ahead and do an
incubating release - the incubator folks will provide us with plenty of
feedback as to where we are going wrong (so our first release process will
likely take a bit of time to get right.)

Gav...