Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Graeme Wallace <gr...@xxi.com> on 2000/08/23 21:42:38 UTC

Using Xerces.jar

I apologize in advance for this, as there must have been requests before. I
couldnt find
anything in the mail archives that addressed this directly.

If I want to use xerces.jar with a web application running under 3.1 how do
I do it ?

regards,

Graeme Wallace

Re: Using Xerces.jar

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Graeme Wallace wrote:

> I apologize in advance for this, as there must have been requests before. I
> couldnt find
> anything in the mail archives that addressed this directly.
>
> If I want to use xerces.jar with a web application running under 3.1 how do
> I do it ?

My understanding of the short answer is "you don't".  Tomcat 3.1 expects to see
the "xml.jar" parser on the class path and, even if you stick Xerces under
WEB-INF/lib the classes from xml.jar with the same names override them -- which
causes problems.

Under 3.2, you can install Xerces as your JAXP-compliant parser by putting
xerces.jar (version 1.1.3 or later) on your classpath, instead of "jaxp.jar"
and "parser.jar" from the JAXP reference implementation.

> regards,
>
> Graeme Wallace

Craig McClanahan