Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> on 2008/07/02 21:29:16 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Click

Please see also http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ClickProposal

Comments until July 9th, if nothing blocking comes up, I'll CfV on July
10th.

--- cut ---

= Click Proposal =
This proposal specifies the migration of Click web application framework
to the Apache Software Foundation as a Top Level Project.

http://click.sourceforge.net/

== Rationale ==
Click is a modern J2EE web application framework released under the
Apache License 2.0. It takes a component and page orientated approach to
web applications with its main goals being ease of use and low barrier
to entry. A major difference between Click and other component oriented
frameworks, is that Click is stateless by design, although stateful
pages are supported. It is an optimal framework, always trading off
bloating features to its main goals of simplicity. Another important
focus of the project has been to provide high quality documentation and
examples to get people started as quickly as possible.

We see Click becoming an Apache project as a logical step in its
evolution. Becoming part of the Apache community will increase
visibility and expose the framework to a larger community of developers.

=== Current Status ===

== Meritocracy ==
Click was developed by Malcolm Edgar in 2003 publicly released in March
2005. Since then there have been contributions from a number of
developers across the world. New contributors are encouraged to provide
patches, and later commit privileges are assigned to them. In 2008 Bob
Schellink joined Malcolm Edgar as a joint lead on the project after
contributing to the project for a number of years.

== Community ==
Click is a small but growing community of users and developers. Its two
mailing lists receive around 200 messages per month.

== Core Developers ==

   * Malcolm Edgar
   * Bob Schellink
   * Naoki Takezoe
   * Ahmed Mohombe

== Alignment ==
Click has already built up relationships with existing Apache projects
especially Velocity and Cayenne. Using Velocity as its default rendering
engine, Click has formed a close relationship with the Velocity
community. Click also supports good integration with the Apache Cayenne
ORM framework.

== Known Risks ==

    * Orphaned Software: Click has a healthy community of users and
developers and has a very low risk of becoming orphaned. Experience With
Open Source: Click was started as an open source project in 2005 and has
remained so for 3 years.
    * Homogeneous Developers: The community is very diverse with users
and developers from all over the world.
    * Reliance on salaried developers: None of the Click developers are
compensated for their contributions. It is a complete voluntary project.
    * Relationships with Other Apache Products: As mentioned in the
Alignment section, Click has formed close relationships with Velocity
and Cayenne. Other Apache products used include commons-* and log4j.
    * An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand: Although it is
true that the Apache Brand will increase visibility of the framework, we
are more interested in building stronger relationships and influence
Apache projects such as Velocity.

== Scope of the project ==
Currently Click consists of the following parts: the core framework, an
extras package for non core controls, an examples project and a quick
start project. There is also an Eclipse plugin called ClickIDE.

== Initial Source ==
Click sources is available from http://sourceforge.net/projects/click

== External Dependencies ==
There are some concerns over incompatible licensed libraries Click
depends on.

    * calendar.js is released under a LGPL licensed library from
http://www.dynarch.com/projects/calendar/
    * Hibernate is released under a LGPL licensed library from
http://www.hibernate.org/
    * HSQLDB is released under the license specified here:
http://hsqldb.org/web/hsqlLicense.html

== Required Resources ==

== Mailing lists ==
Create new mailing lists

    * click-private
    * click-dev
    * click-user

== Subversion Directory ==
Migrate the current subversion code from sourceforge to Apache

    * https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/click

== Issue Tracking ==

    * Need to create a new JIRA project called CLICK for the Click
framework
    * Migrate the current JIRA issue tracker from
http://www.avoka.com/jira/

== Other Resources ==
Need to create a new Confluence Wiki

    * CLICK

== Initial Committers ==
The initial committers for the project should include:

    * Malcolm Edgar
    * Bob Schellink
    * Naoki Takezoe
    * Ahmed Mohombe
    * Henning Schmiedehausen
    * Will Glass-Husain
    * Ted Husted

== Sponsors ==
=== Champion ===

    * Henning Schmiedehausen

=== Nominated Mentors ===

    * Will Glass-Husain
    * Ted Husted

=== Sponsoring Entity ===

    * Velocity

--- cut ---

--
Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- hps@intermeta.de | JEE, Linux, Unix
91054 Buckenhof, Germany   -- +49 9131 506540  | Apache Java Software

INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH - RG Fuerth, HRB 7350
Gesellschaftssitz: Buckenhof. Geschaeftsfuehrer: Henning Schmiedehausen

  char name_buf[257];           /* max unix filename is 256, right? */

Re: [PROPOSAL] Click

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Sure. Add yourself to the proposal as a mentor. Thanks a lot for
offering help.

	Best regards
		Henning

Re: [PROPOSAL] Click

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
+1.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Click

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Looks good; do you need a click-commits mailing list?

Craig

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: [PROPOSAL] Click

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Cool, page rendering based on Velocity ...  :-) ... good to have a break
from JSPs

Siegfried Goeschl