Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Frank Lorenz <f....@gmx.de> on 2005/08/04 20:19:24 UTC

Keeping fo:block with the page's end

Hi,

is it possible to keep a fo:block with the end of a page?

In the example below i have a page with 2 columns and 9 fo:block elements.
The 9'th element should be shown at the end of the page.

Example:
---------------
|  ### | ###  |
|  ### | ###  |
|  ### |      |
|  ### |      |
|  ### |      |
|  ### | ###  |

Re: Keeping fo:block with the page's end

Posted by Frank Lorenz <f....@gmx.de>.
> Have you looked at fo:footnote?

Yes, i have tried already with footnotes. The problem with footnotes is,
that they do not support columns. That means,  the block wich should
actually be shown in one column spans over all columns of the region-body.

---------------
|  ### | ###  |
|  ### | ###  |
|  ### |      |
|  ### |      |
|  ### |      |
|  ### |      |
---------------
|    ###      |

Re: Keeping fo:block with the page's end

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Frank Lorenz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is it possible to keep a fo:block with the end of a page?
>
> In the example below i have a page with 2 columns and 9 fo:block elements.
> The 9'th element should be shown at the end of the page.

Have you looked at fo:footnote? It may help you achieve what you need.
The other approach is to use region-after as someone else suggested, but
that may not meet your requirements.

Chris

Re: Keeping fo:block with the page's end

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Frank Lorenz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is it possible to keep a fo:block with the end of a page?
>
> In the example below i have a page with 2 columns and 9 fo:block elements.
> The 9'th element should be shown at the end of the page.
>
> Example:
> ---------------
> |  ### | ###  |
> |  ### | ###  |
> |  ### |      |
> |  ### |      |
> |  ### |      |
> |  ### | ###  |
> ---------------

I'd try a region-after overlapping the body and either hardcode
the block in the static content or, if you have multiple pages,
get it into the region-after using a marker. It may be useful to
wrap the block in a blind table with a display-align="after" on
the table cell in order to reduce manual adjustments.
An absolutely positioned block container might also do the trick.

You won't get away without serious manual fiddling in either case.

J.Pietschmann

Re: Keeping fo:block with the page's end

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
I don't think this is possible with XSL-FO at all. We might have some
extensions to the spec, that might allow such a thing with some tweaking
sometime in the future with the new code. But until then you have to do
with what is available, i.e. the region-after suggestion which I also
think is probably the best chance to solve this. Remember that you can
let the region-body and the region-after overlap if you set the
properties right. Another idea might be an absolutely positioned
block-container.

Good luck!

On 05.08.2005 22:52:15 Frank Lorenz wrote:

> >Why can't you use the region-after section of the
> >

> When using region-after the page would look like the one below.
> But i need a solution, where the last block is kept with the bottom of
> region-body, and not with the bottom of region-after.
>
> ---------------
> |  ### | ###  |
> |  ### | ###  |
> |  ### |      |
> |  ### |      |
> |  ### |      |
> |  ### |      |
> ---------------
> |      | ###  |
> ---------------
>
> Regards
> Frank

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Keeping fo:block with the page's end

Posted by Frank Lorenz <f....@gmx.de>.

Posted by Luke <lu...@lukeshannon.com>.
Hi Frank;

I am not sure I understand. You want the last block, block nine, to remain
at the bottom of the page. Why can't you use the region-after section of the
FO document? Perhaps I am not understanding something.

Luke