Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Tomáš Drenčák <to...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/25 09:20:38 UTC

CSS in page or component

Hi,
I'd like to ask how can I include a css file into a component or even
a page. I use own Border component with Shell. Stylesheets could be
imported there, but what if I want to include css specific to page or
component?

thanks
        tomas

Re: CSS in page or component

Posted by Alan Chandler <al...@chandlerfamily.org.uk>.
On Saturday 27 Aug 2005 14:46, Alan Chandler wrote:
> On Thursday 25 Aug 2005 21:40, Alan Chandler wrote:
>
> > I have done it 3 different ways now, trying various things out using TAP
> > 4.. My final way is still not working, but I think its finding the style
> > sheet, its just that other parts of my application is not working

> > 3) (NOTE NOT YET FULLY WORKING) I have put the stylesheet in the Root
> > Context of tomcat.  In the server.xml file for tomcat (hosted via
> > eclipse) I have
>
> Just to say, I got this running this morning and it DOES work.

Egg on Face!!!

No it doesn't.  The reason it appeared to be working is that Eclipse left some
files around in its .deployable directory that was a hang over from one of
the previous tests.  Even specifying an absolute path for the asset - the
Asset management stuff adds the application name to the path automatically.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

Re: CSS in page or component

Posted by Alan Chandler <al...@chandlerfamily.org.uk>.

Re: CSS in page or component

Posted by "Filip S. Adamsen" <fi...@stubkjaer-adamsen.dk>.
Yeah, I saw it a while ago, but it relies on JavaScript. Furthermore,
it's not able to do all the things I want such a component to do.

My own @Style component actually works now, including page/component
style sheets on the go with only minor configuration - you need the
style sheet declared as an IAsset somewhere.

Next up, I want it to be able to include small bits of CSS for the
<head/> section's <style/> tag. And perhaps enabling it to attach
instance-specific styles via the "#id { /* style here */ }" notation.
That is, you'll be able to customize specific components' styles easily.

I don't think there's much else such a component should be able to do.
But if you have any additional ideas, please share!

-Filip

Tomáš Drenčák wrote:
> I've found TapFx library on http://tapfx.sf.net/ . There's a component
> named Style and it seems that it solves problem in elegant way...
>
> tomas
>
> 2005/8/25, Alan Chandler <al...@chandlerfamily.org.uk>:
>
>>On Thursday 25 Aug 2005 08:20, Tomáš Drenčák wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>I'd like to ask how can I include a css file into a component or even
>>>a page. I use own Border component with Shell. Stylesheets could be
>>>imported there, but what if I want to include css specific to page or
>>>component?

[...]

Re: CSS in page or component

Posted by Tomáš Drenčák <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: CSS in page or component

Posted by Alan Chandler <al...@chandlerfamily.org.uk>.

Re: CSS in page or component

Posted by Robert Cole <ro...@db.com>.
We use 2 mechanisms. The first is the aforementioned Sell component to do the main CSS for the look and feel to the site.

Then each page has a Block component that contains the page specific CSS. This is then rendered once in the page. That way we can override the default CSS or make specific reference to assets or components on that page.

Rob Cole

             Ted Steen <te...@gmail.com>

             25/08/2005 09:07                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              To
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Tapestry users <ta...@jakarta.apache.org>
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           cc
                                                                                                                                                                                                     Please respond to
                                                                                                                                                                                    "Tapestry users" <ta...@jakarta.apache.org>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Subject
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Re: CSS in page or component

What if one have Assets that need to be referenced in the css?
How is that solved?

/ted

Re: CSS in page or component

Posted by Ted Steen <te...@gmail.com>.
What if one have Assets that need to be referenced in the css?
How is that solved?

On 8/25/05, Ron Piterman <rp...@gmx.net> wrote:
> What I do to resolve this is the following:
>
> Each component which wants to "contribute" a css, implements an
> Interface named IStyleable.
>
> The border goes through all components of the page and checks them.
> For each one which implements the IStyleable interface (which is only a
> marker, and has no methods to implement) it reaches for the "css" asset,
> and adds it to a set of assets. (see code at the end)
>
> This whole thing happens only once per page instance, so performance is
> not an issue.
>
> in the border I define
>
> Thats it. Works very nice for me.
>
> Cheers,
> Ron
>
> ===================================
>
> public class Border extends BaseComponent implements IStyleable {
>
>      private IAsset[] _stylesheets;
>
>      public IAsset[] getStylesheets() {
>          if (_stylesheets == null) {
>              Set s = new HashSet();
>              getStylesheets(getPage(),s);
>              _stylesheets = new IAsset[s.size()];
>              System.arraycopy(s.toArray(),0,_stylesheets,0,s.size());
>          }
>          return _stylesheets;
>      }
>
>      private void getStylesheets(IComponent c, Set s) {
>          if (c instanceof IStyleable)
>              addStylesheet(c,s);
>          for (Object cc : c.getComponents().values())
>              getStylesheets((IComponent)cc, s);
>      }
>
>      private void addStylesheet(IComponent s, Set set) {
>          IAsset asset = s.getAsset("css");
>          if (!set.contains(asset))
>              set.add(asset);
>      }
> }
>

> ציטוט Tomáš Drenčák:
> > Hi,
> > I'd like to ask how can I include a css file into a component or even
> > a page. I use own Border component with Shell. Stylesheets could be
> > imported there, but what if I want to include css specific to page or
> > component?
> >
> > thanks
> >         tomas

/ted

Re: CSS in page or component

Posted by Ron Piterman <rp...@gmx.net>.

Re: CSS in page or component

Posted by "Filip S. Adamsen" <fi...@stubkjaer-adamsen.dk>.
This has come up multiple times now, and many possible solutions have
surfaced. It would be extremely convenient if Tapestry provided a way to
include style information and hook it up with components (and hence,
pages) similar to what the @Script component currently allows.

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAPESTRY-201 contains my solution
to the problem. Although not including all of the aforementioned
functionality, I feel that it's very useful. I can't say if it'll work
with Tapestry 4.0, and the patch should definitely not be applied to
anything at all since it alters the framework build file. (Minor mistake
on my part.) But it might be worth taking a look at it.

I'll look into this during the next few days and see what I can come up
with. Allowing Tapestry to handle CSS in a simple, efficient, and
built-in way would be a huge for the project IMHO.

-Filip

Re: CSS in page or component

Posted by Paul Field <pa...@db.com>.
We did this (in Tapestry 3) for pages by allowing a page to contain a "magic" block called 'css'. For example:

---- MyPage.html ----
div.mystyle {
    width: 390px;
    margin: 20px 10px !important;
}

.. blah blah ..
--------------------------

The page itself won't render the block. Instead we attach a delegate to the Shell component that looks for the css block and renders it:

---- MyPageBorder.html ----

.. blah blah ..
--------------------------

---- MyPageBorder.java -----
private IRender delegate = new IRender() {
    public void render(IMarkupWriter writer, IRequestCycle cycle) {
        renderCssBlock(writer, cycle);
    }
};

public IRender getDelegate() {
    return delegate;
}

protected void renderCssBlock(IMarkupWriter writer, IRequestCycle cycle) {
    IComponent cssComponent = (IComponent) getPage().getComponents().get("css");
    if (cssComponent != null) {
        writer.begin("style");
        writer.attribute("type", "text/css");
        cssComponent.renderBody(writer, cycle);
        writer.end();
    }
}

I'm sure you could generalise this to search all the components on the page for 'css' blocks.

The only problem with this approach is that the css block will appear in the HTML 'head' BEFORE any external stylesheets, which means the external css rules will have priority over the page style rules (probably not what you'd expect). The options you have to avoid that problem are to write your own version of Shell that renders the delegate after the stylesheets or to use '!important' on any page style rules that need to override the external ones (see the 'margin' property in my example above).

Paul

             Tomáš Drenčák <to...@gmail.com>

             25/08/2005 08:20                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              To