Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Mark Kessler <ke...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/13 02:24:56 UTC

New feature test

    I wanted to alternate a bit between fixing existing issues and add new
features.  Right now I've put together an easier enhancement for spark
components that utilize dataProviders and selectedIndex.  I've also started
a class to house RegEx patterns and methods to assemble them.

    I've worked up a rough HTML5 page to house my experiments [1] and the
test for this example can be accessed directly [2] in case I'm fiddling
with my html index file again.

    The goal for these were to provide a standard set of convenience
features and add more complex ones over time. Current components supporting
these new methods in the example are combobox, dropdownlist, list,
buttonbar, tabbar, datagrid, grid. Should also work with SpinnerList.

    Included in the example is basic navigation, and slightly more advanced
find with regex patterns, and the new RegeEx pattern class.

    Let me know any changes, ideas, issues with these starter methods.
I'll make any needed modifications and then jira/commit them when there is
enough acceptance.

[1] http://people.apache.org/~mkessler/
[2] http://people.apache.org/~mkessler/examples/DataProviderEnhance/app.swf

-Mark

Re: New feature test

Posted by Mark Kessler <ke...@gmail.com>.
I was waiting for the whiteboard discussions to be decided on to host it.

Re: New feature test

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Where the code?

Justin

RE: New feature test

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.
Ok I made a few more changes.

- Added a line at top that specifically says this is not required, but only recommended.  It helps to provide discussions for bugs,  complications, or suggestions.

- Added a line in the discussion area that states a vote is not required unless the changes are being strongly debated.

I'm guess we should make a page that talks about donations as well.

-Mark

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 4/18/13 6:20 PM, "Mark Kessler" <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok so I've an extra blurb for the licenses, although I didn't add the IP
> comments since you already had to sign an agreement that states the IP
> issues when becoming a commiter.
>
> Added some more random notes for the discussion.  Thinking so far.  New
> feature [poll], modifed existing feature [vote].  Will need more opinions
> here.  Tiny changes probably don't even need to really be addressed, just
> commit them.
It is all commit-then-review.  Doesn't matter how big it is.  No vote is
required for committer contributions unless it is needed to decide an
ongoing discussion where there is clearly no consensus forming.

In Apache Way theory, big things don't get created all of a sudden.
Supposedly, there have been ongoing smaller commits as you build it up in
the whiteboard or one of our other repos, and there has been healthy
discussion all along.

If big things already exist, then that is a donation, and that probably
requires IP clearance and voting.

> Should we store the new features / feature changes somewhere for easy
> release messages?
Yes, in JIRA.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: New feature test

Posted by Mark Kessler <ke...@gmail.com>.

Re: New feature test

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: New feature test

Posted by Mark Kessler <ke...@gmail.com>.
Ok so while I have been working my new feature through a discussion, I
wanted to capture our rough process [1] which I have added to a wiki page.
So my feature has a hosted example, example source, and the changed files.
It has been presented for discussion.  The discussion header is where I
need more information to fill out the wiki page.

I have a few more questions/topics to fill out the discussion area.
-I assume changes will be discussed in the created thread.
-Is there going to be some sort of sign the feature add can be added to the
sdk... e.g. [poll], [vote], or some duration of time that has passed?
-How do we keep track of new features that have been added?  Used primarily
for when a new release comes out.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Adding+new+features

-Mark

Re: New feature test

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 4/13/13 4:37 AM, "Mark Kessler" <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll try the source view thing here in a few mins. That could work.  Did we
> agree to GIT whiteboards or using GITHub for the whiteboards?

Not sure myself.  I'll try to find the other thread and find out.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: New feature test

Posted by Mark Kessler <ke...@gmail.com>.

Re: New feature test

Posted by Mark Kessler <ke...@gmail.com>.
I plan on using the new regex features as a base for more feature
enhancements.  These are good start to adding some ease of use for new
developers and to make the method names explain themselves.

Convenience Getters
        function get isFirstRow():Boolean;
        function get isLastRow():Boolean;

Convenience methods
        function moveIndexFirstRow():void;
        function moveIndexLastRow():void;
        function moveIndexNextRow():void;
        function moveIndexPreviousRow():void;

RegEx Search Methods.
        function findRowIndex(field:String, value:String, startingIndex:int
= 0, patternType:String = RegExPatterns.EXACT):int;
        function moveIndexFindRow(field:String, value:String,
startingIndex:int = 0, patternType:String = RegExPatterns.EXACT):Boolean;

Regex patterns class
        public static const CONTAINS:String = "contains";
        public static const ENDS_WITH:String = "endsWith";
        public static const EXACT:String = "exact";
        public static const NOT:String = "not";
        public static const NOT_EMPTY:String = "notEmpty";
        public static const STARTS_WITH:String = "startsWith";

        static public function createRegExp(patternValue:String,
patternType:String = CONTAINS):RegExp
    static public function createPatternString(patternValue:String,
patternType:String = CONTAINS):String

Re: New feature test

Posted by Mark Kessler <ke...@gmail.com>.
Ok, so I posted the two new files and I've extracted the code used into the
components.  They are hosted off the main site [1], or you can go directly
to the interface [2], Code implemented in the components [3], and the regex
patterns [4].

[1] http://people.apache.org/~mkessler/
[2]
http://people.apache.org/~mkessler/examples/DataProviderEnhance/IDataProviderEnhance.as