Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Charlie Smith <Sm...@ldschurch.org> on 2003/06/24 16:20:27 UTC

[users@httpd] Anyone loaded php as a DSO?

Anyone loaded php as a DSO?  Is this possible? or recommended?

Ged, I believe I know your opinion on this, but could you help me be able to defend loading this as static compiled in part of Apache?

This message may contain confidential information, and is intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed.

Re: [users@httpd] Anyone loaded php as a DSO?

Posted by George Schlossnagle <ge...@omniti.com>.
On Tuesday, June 24, 2003, at 10:20  AM, Charlie Smith wrote:

> Anyone loaded php as a DSO?

Sure, hundreds of thousands of instances around the world have.

> Is this possible?

Yes.

>  or recommended?

It's fine.  There are some slight performance issues with using SOs
that you will be hard pressed to notice in any environment.  On the
upside, it provides you a good bit of flexibility: it allows you to run
the same httpd binary with different modules in different
configurations and allows httpd and php to be upgraded independently.

George

-- George Schlossnagle
-- Principal Consultant
-- OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc.
-- +1.410.872.4910 x202
-- 1024D/1100A5A0 1370 F70A 9365 96C9 2F5E  56C2 B2B9 262F 1100 A5A0