Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com> on 2009/01/06 17:01:58 UTC

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Thanks for your comments Matt.

Well, it's after the holidays.  Time to pick this thread back up.
This issue needs to be resolved before we graduate.

Regards,
Alan

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by Steve Thorpe <th...@mcnc.org>.
Me three.

Steve

Brian Bouterse wrote:
> I like this idea also for the same reasons John mentions.
>
> Brian
>

> Brian Bouterse
> Secure Open Systems Initiative
> 919.698.8796
>

> On Feb 19, 2009, at 11:12 AM, John Bass wrote:
>
>> For what it's worth, I like Josh's idea for several reasons:
>> - production ncsu service runs from the apache code
>> - its a great way for ncsu to help promote the apache project
>> - it helps maintain the community that has been building over the years
>> - appears to me (a newbee) to support the apache naming policy
>>
>> John Bass
>> john_bass@ncsu.edu
>> www.cnl.ncsu.edu
>> (919) 515-0154
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Josh Thompson
>> <jo...@ncsu.edu>wrote:

>>> But what does it mean to "stop using theirs"?  Does it mean the letters
>>> "VCL"
>>> cannot appear anywhere at their site?  (I feel really weird saying
>>> "their"
>>> since I'm employed at NCSU, but I'll try to stick to saying this with my
>>> ASF
>>> hat on).
>>>
>>> I feel really strongly that we (ASF) should continue using VCL as the
>>> name
>>> for
>>> the project because that's what it has been know as for the last 5
>>> years.
>>> So, I want to work toward figuring out what NCSU must do to allow
>>> that to
>>> happen.  If everything at NCSU gets changed to "Apache VCL at NCSU",
>>> would
>>> that work?  The goal of moving VCL from NCSU to ASF is to allow more
>>> people
>>> to get involved in development of it, and thus have it used at more
>>> places.
>>> So, it would make sense to me for multiple places to be able to call
>>> their
>>> install of it "Apache VCL at <insert institution name here>".
>>>
>>> Josh

>>> - --
>>> - -------------------------------
>>> Josh Thompson
>>> Systems Programmer
>>> Virtual Computing Lab (VCL)
>>> North Carolina State University
>>>
>>> Josh_Thompson@ncsu.edu
>>> 919-515-5323
>>>
>>> my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

--
Steve Thorpe
Systems Programmer/Analyst, MCNC

Connecting North Carolina's Future Today

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.
As do I.  NCSU's implementation of VCL is not a separate product.  A similar
product with the same name isn't being used elsewhere.  The move of VCL from
NCSU to ASF has been well-publicized.

It seems to me that the naming guidelines make a stronger argument supporting
the use of VCL as the project name than otherwise.
(http://www.apache.org/dev/project-names.html)

The point which seems most pertinent to me is:
-Reduce the likelihood of confusion

Using a name other than VCL at either Apache or NCSU will cause great confusion.

Another point in the guidelines which supports using VCL as the project name:
-See this as an important marketing opportunity, rather than a bother.

Many people already know about VCL.  Academic papers have been published.  Talks
have been given.  News has been written and broadcast.  I think it is to
Apache's advantage to use the VCL name.

-Andy

Andy Kurth
Virtual Computing Lab
Office of Information Technology
North Carolina State University
andy_kurth@ncsu.edu
919.513.4090

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by Brian Bouterse <bm...@ncsu.edu>.

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by John Bass <jc...@gmail.com>.

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ho...@apache.org>.

Josh,

The real challenge in all of this is making sure that you are wearing
the correct hat.  The ASF does not recognize corporations (or
universities) as such with exception to code grant provided by them.
The ASF looks at this project as a standalone entity that is complete
separate from NCSU.  The committers are volunteering their time to
this project because they are interested in it, not because someone is
paying them to do this work.  Certainly there are times where a
person's passion lines up with how they are making a living but that
is considered a good situation.

In order for this project to graduate from Incubator to a TLP it has
to demonstrate a working independence from its origins.  As far as the
ASF is concerned, if NCSU decided to not continue investing in this
area would the project die.  If that is the case, then it is not truly
an independent community.  Our goal in the Incubator is to build that
independent community.

There have been many times since November that the issue of the name
came up.  The fact that it is inextricably linked to NCSU makes it
hard for people to objectively say that it is a separate community.

I'm not being critical, just trying to state the obvious.

To be honest, if the name was changed but there was still a clear tie
to NCSU the project would still have difficulty getting the support to
graduate from the Incubator.  I for one could not support it based on
where w are at today.  Time will tell.

Matt

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Feb 24, 2009, at 7:12 AM, John Bass wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Henry E Schaffer
> <he...@unity.ncsu.edu>wrote:
>
>> John writes:
>>> Given Alan's assessment below, there appears to be an impasse
>>> without
>>> changing the project name.
>>
>>  What impasse?
>

> The impasse (possibly a poor word choice) is formed by an
> intersection of
> the following:
> - Matt's assessment is ncsu established the name vcl as a label for a
> production service at ncsu and changing the name of the production
> service
> does not break this association.
> - One necessary condition leading to graduation requires that voting
> members
> determine that project naming is independent of any institution/
> company and
> 'belongs' to the community.
> - We want to name the asf project 'vcl' and change the name of the
> ncsu
> production service.
>
> I'm a little confused about the voting process, but it seems that we
> don't
> get to vote for our own graduation. Given that, it appears we need
> to do
> what Matt/Alan say since they vote and we want the project to
> graduate.

I am constantly being reminded by my wife and her mother that the
world does not revolve around me and this is no exception.  :)

I can easily be outvoted by the other Incubator PMC members but it is
my personal belief that I will not.  We would never allow corporate
entities to retain such a connection regardless of how many
disclaimers are sprinkled on their web site and I don't see how an
educational institution would be any different.

Regards,
Alan

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by John Bass <jc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Henry E Schaffer <he...@unity.ncsu.edu>wrote:

> John writes:
> > Given Alan's assessment below, there appears to be an impasse without
> > changing the project name.
>
>   What impasse?

The impasse (possibly a poor word choice) is formed by an intersection of
the following:
- Matt's assessment is ncsu established the name vcl as a label for a
production service at ncsu and changing the name of the production service
does not break this association.
- One necessary condition leading to graduation requires that voting members
determine that project naming is independent of any institution/company and
'belongs' to the community.
- We want to name the asf project 'vcl' and change the name of the ncsu
production service.

I'm a little confused about the voting process, but it seems that we don't
get to vote for our own graduation. Given that, it appears we need to do
what Matt/Alan say since they vote and we want the project to graduate.

  Alan is quoting Matt - who seems to say that if NC State does not have

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

On Fri March 6 2009 2:39:42 pm Henry E Schaffer wrote:
>   I share in Josh's puzzlement.  Since we don't have and never have had
> a VCL Department, do we need to start one and then close it down?
>
>   What we have is software which we call "VCL", and this is reflected in
> the documentation and the URL to use our production system (vcl.ncsu.edu).
>
>   At NC State we use a piece of software which we call "Apache HTTP
> Server".  This name is the same as the ASF project.  We're not the only
> organization which does this.  Ditto for other suftware, e.g. Tomcat.
>
>   So I don't understand the following quoted material is consistent with
> our situation.

> since we don't (now) have any VCL project except for the ASF one.

>   If "ASF name" means the name of our project at ASF, then for the other
> projects, how can people say they are running Apache HTTP Server or
> Tomcat?
>
>   If "ASF name" means "the name of the Foundation" then there is the
> same conflict when people say they are running Apache HTTP Server or
> Tomcat.
>
>   Am I missing something?
>
> --henry schaffer

I just wanted to point out that the part Henry quoted above that had quotes
around it were my words which were my interpretation of Alan's - not his
directly.

Josh

- --
- -------------------------------

my GPG/PGP key can be found at www.keyserver.net

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
I think that this link hilights the issue.

http://vcl.ncsu.edu/news/general-announcements/new-vcl-website-launched

The project at NCSU is sen as being powered by the NC State Computing
Platform.  There is clearly more of a tie between the name of the
project and its roots.  Quite honestly, this can be word smithed in
any number of ways but the relationship exists.  Using Alan's example
with a situation that I'm quite familiar with is the reltionship
between Apache Geronimo and IBM's "version" which was called WebSphere
Community Edition.  It would certainly not be appropriate for IBM to
call it WebSphere "Geronimo Version".  Apache owned the brand Geronimo
and IBM, or anyone else for that matter, was free to do with the code
what they wanted.

It is far easier for the project here to change its name than it is to
impose changes on NC State and it would not be appropriate for Apache
to suggest or even try and do so.

When the project is successful, it should be on its merits and keeping
a sense of genealogy is fine, people will know it by its new name.

On Mar 6, 2009, at 2:39 PM, Henry E Schaffer wrote:

>  I share in Josh's puzzlement.  Since we don't have and never have had
> a VCL Department, do we need to start one and then close it down?
>
>  What we have is software which we call "VCL", and this is reflected
> in
> the documentation and the URL to use our production system
> (vcl.ncsu.edu).
>
>  At NC State we use a piece of software which we call "Apache HTTP
> Server".  This name is the same as the ASF project.  We're not the
> only
> organization which does this.  Ditto for other suftware, e.g. Tomcat.

But using software is different than naming products.  Not a good
example.

>  So I don't understand the following quoted material is consistent
> with
> our situation.

> since we don't (now) have any VCL project except for the ASF one.

This is a debateable point ... see the URL above.

>  If "ASF name" means the name of our project at ASF, then for the
> other
> projects, how can people say they are running Apache HTTP Server or
> Tomcat?

This isn't about use, its about branding.

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by Henry E Schaffer <he...@unity.ncsu.edu>.

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Mar 6, 2009, at 11:03 AM, Josh Thompson wrote:

> On Fri March 6 2009 1:09:20 pm Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

>>> I'm sorry, I'm just not understanding what you're saying - I need
>>> you to
>>> restate it using different wording rather than just repeating
>>> yourself.  I
>>> don't understand the naming conflict between ASF VCL and NCSU's
>>> install of
>>> VCL (keep in mind the content at vcl.ncsu.edu will be changed to
>>> refer to
>>> development of VCL being at ASF and stuff at vcl.ncsu.edu to just be
>>> an
>>> install of it).
>>
>> It's the name your department name, NCSU VCL, and the name of this
>> incubating project, ASF VCL, that is the problem.  They cannot be the
>> same.  It doesn't matter if the stuff at the NCSU VCL department is
>> just an installation of the ASF VCL project.  It doesn't matter if
>> there's attribution at the NCSU VCL department that they have
>> installed ASF VCL software.
>>
>> There is a naming conflict and that has to be resolved.
>
> Umm, there is no "NCSU VCL" department.  There are people from two
> different
> groups at NCSU that are involved in development of VCL.  The main
> group being
> the Office of Information Technology.  There is a group within that
> named
> Advanced Computing.  Aaron, Andy, and I are in that group.  There is a
> completely separate group named Centennial Networking Lab that has a
> fair
> amount of interest in VCL as well.  Brian and Andrew work for them.
>
> Other than the content at vcl.ncsu.edu discussing development of VCL
> that will
> be changed to reflect development being done at ASF, the only thing -
> organizational unit or otherwise - at NCSU that exists using the
> name VCL is
> the installation of this project.

Ok, so now we may be making some progress here.  When I go to

http://vcl.ncsu.edu/

VCL is all over the place.  It really gives the impression that
there's a lab over at NCSU called VCL.   I see "Virtual Computing Lab,
powered by NC STATE's Virtual Computing Platform".  Even if the
powered by clause were changed as mentioned in previous posts to:

Virtual Computing Lab, powered by ASF VCL

I don't see how that would fly.  If however, *every* reference to VCL
and Virtual Computing Lab were replaced with, say, WolfPack.  Then
this would definitely work:

WolfPack, powered by ASF VCL

  Are you saying that *all* VCL and Virtual Computing Lab terms will
be scrubbed at NCSU?

>>> It seems to me, the Blackboard example I gave above exactly
>>> matches our situation.  If it can work for them, why can it not work
>>> for VCL?
>>> If you don't think it matches our situation, please clearly state
>>> how and why
>>> you don't think it matches.
>>
>> It does not match our situation.  In your example you have a *single*
>> corporation.  In our situation we have two separate institutions, one
>> of them being a non-profit software foundation.  The project at the
>> ASF cannot share a name with it's progenitor, an external
>> institution.
>>
>> I mention branding because it's obvious that the NCSU staff is
>> vociferously attempting to keep the branding connection between the
>> NCSU department and the ASF incubator project by keeping the same
>> name, regardless of what that name is.
>
> I'm not trying to keep a branding connection between NCSU and VCL.
> I'm trying
> to keep a project that's been known by the name VCL for almost 5
> years,
> having had many presentations and papers published about it from
> having to be
> renamed to something else that no one has heard of.  This is the
> *only*
> reason I am interested in keeping the VCL name.  There were
> discussions at
> NCSU a little while ago about changing the name (before there was
> even the
> idea to move development to ASF).  I wanted to keep the VCL name
> then too -
> for exactly the same reasons - because it is what people know the /
> project/
> as.  I'm not trying to keep the name because people associate it
> with NCSU,
> nor because I think it is necessarily the best name for the project
> (as in, a
> different name from the beginning may have been better).  It's
> simply because
> people know this project as VCL, and I don't think it makes sense to
> change
> the name that so many people already know.

When the NCSU staff, including the CIO, chime in it gives a specific
impression.  Hence my opinion.

As for previous notoriety of VCL the solution is simple, scrub VCL
from the NCSU side.  Other corporations have been in the same boat as
we currently find ourselves, including a long presentation and
publishing history.  They let go of the name in its entirety so that
the ASF project could hold it.

Regards,
Alan

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

> [...]

> Regards,
> Alan
>
> > Matt and Kevan - Do you understand what Alan is saying?  If so, as
> > our other
> > two mentors, can you help to clarify it?
> >
> > Josh
> >
> >> I will repeat myself again here.  NCSU VCL and its developers have a
> >> lot to be proud of.  It's only natural that both, NCSU VCL and its
> >> developers at ASF VCL, would want to keep their association with the
> >> brand.  That brand is only strengthened as departments from other
> >> universities join in and have their initiatives participate in the
> >> VCL
> >> brand.  Unfortunately the ASF must remain independent this branding
> >> effort.
> >>
> >> We are not a business.  We are an independent, non-profit, software
> >> foundation and we must remain free from such entanglements.

- --
- -------------------------------

my GPG/PGP key can be found at www.keyserver.net

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Henry beat me to a response.  I'll only add that we'll probably be moving any
documentation content currently under vcl.ncsu.edu that is not specific to
the ASF VCL install at NCSU to ASF VCL websites.

Josh

On Fri March 6 2009 3:07:17 pm Henry E Schaffer wrote:
> [...]
>
>   Our public facing NCSU 'VCL' entity is a computing service which we
> provide for the use of our students, faculty, and others.  Yes, we
> intend to continue providing this service.  The users are using
> computing resources (cycles, software) which is made available through
> the use of the VCL software which is continuing to be developed in the
> Apache Incubator project.
>
>   We see the service and the software development as being separate.
>
> > along with
> > the Apache VCL project. If this is the case, then there would seem to
> > be a problem.
> >
> > So, is there still going to be a public facing 'NCSU VCL' project?
>
>   No - there will be no public facing 'NCSU VCL' software development
> project.
>
>   But we need to continue providing a computing service to our students,
> faculty, ... and we want to call this computing service the VCL (or NCSU
> VCL or ... - note that it really has to be in the ncsu.edu domain.)
> We actually don't call it a "project" - we call it a Lab or a Service.
> Quoting from our home page:
>
> Remote Access Service
>
> The Virtual Computing Lab (VCL) is a remote access service that allows
> you to reserve a computer with a desired set of applications for
> yourself, and remotely access it over the Internet.
>
>   We don't use the word "Project" there, and our users don't have any
> involvement with software development.
>
> > It's been my impression that there would be.
> >
> > Doing some research, http://vcl.ncsu.edu tells me that "Virtual
> > Computing Lab (VCL) is a remote access service..." Virtual Computing
> > Lab and (VCL) seem to be somewhat synonymous.
>
>   Yes.
>
> > So, can you give us an idea on how you intend to break yourself from
> > the current situation? Things like: "NCSU Virtual Computing Lab:
> > powered by Apache VCL"?
>
>   I think we've already suggested this.
>
> > And usage of "VCL" on your web site will be
> > replaced by either "Virtual Computing Lab" or "Apache VCL", as
> > appropriate?
>
>   Something like this seems reasonable - although we need to figure out
> exactly what would be appropriate.  (Would we be able, with these
> changes to continue using https://vcl.ncsu.edu/ ?)
>
>   It might take some work to see how to reword material, such as this
> from the home page
>
> Development of The Virtual Computing Lab (VCL) started in 2004 as a
> joint venture of the College of Engineering (COE) and the Office of
> Information Technology (OIT) ...
>
> perhaps to
>
> Development of The Virtual Computing Lab (now using the software which
> has moved to the Apache VCL project) started in 2004 as a joint venture
> of the College of Engineering (COE) and the Office of Information
> Technology (OIT)
>
> ???
>
> > The fact that the two terms appear to have been used
> > synonymously, would seem to complicate matters.

- --
- -------------------------------

my GPG/PGP key can be found at www.keyserver.net

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Mar 6, 2009, at 12:07 PM, Henry E Schaffer wrote:

> Kevan writes:
>> Perhaps an example would be useful.
>>
>> There are multiple cases where Open Source projects have moved to
>> Apache and maintained their name. For example, both OpenEJB and
>> ActiveMQ were Codehaus projects. They both entered Apache Incubator.
>> There was a period of time where there were (some) activities at both
>> Codehaus OpenEJB/ActiveMQ and within the corresponding Apache
>> Incuabator projects. However, over time, the projects were solely
>> focused on the Apache Incubator. You can find some vestiges of the
>> old
>> Codehaus projects, but essentially the Codehaus projects no longer
>> exist.
>>
>> So, is there a similar situation for VCL?
>
>  That's what I thought - we've already made that transition to having
> code development entirely within the Apache Incubator project.
>
>> It's been my impression that
>> a public facing NCSU 'VCL' entity was going to continue,
>
>  Our public facing NCSU 'VCL' entity is a computing service which we
> provide for the use of our students, faculty, and others.  Yes, we
> intend to continue providing this service.  The users are using
> computing resources (cycles, software) which is made available through
> the use of the VCL software which is continuing to be developed in the
> Apache Incubator project.
>
>  We see the service and the software development as being separate.
>
>> along with
>> the Apache VCL project. If this is the case, then there would seem to
>> be a problem.
>>
>> So, is there still going to be a public facing 'NCSU VCL' project?
>
>  No - there will be no public facing 'NCSU VCL' software development
> project.
>
>  But we need to continue providing a computing service to our
> students,
> faculty, ... and we want to call this computing service the VCL (or
> NCSU
> VCL or ... - note that it really has to be in the ncsu.edu domain.)
> We actually don't call it a "project" - we call it a Lab or a Service.
> Quoting from our home page:
>
> Remote Access Service
>
> The Virtual Computing Lab (VCL) is a remote access service that allows
> you to reserve a computer with a desired set of applications for
> yourself, and remotely access it over the Internet.
>
>  We don't use the word "Project" there, and our users don't have any
> involvement with software development.
>
>> It's been my impression that there would be.
>>
>> Doing some research, http://vcl.ncsu.edu tells me that "Virtual
>> Computing Lab (VCL) is a remote access service..." Virtual Computing
>> Lab and (VCL) seem to be somewhat synonymous.
>
>  Yes.
>
>> So, can you give us an idea on how you intend to break yourself from
>> the current situation? Things like: "NCSU Virtual Computing Lab:
>> powered by Apache VCL"?
>
>  I think we've already suggested this.

VCL and Virtual Computing Lab are both proper nouns.  This is the
collision to which I refer to.  It's obvious that VCL is an acronym
for Virtual Computing Lab.

>> And usage of "VCL" on your web site will be
>> replaced by either "Virtual Computing Lab" or "Apache VCL", as
>> appropriate?
>
>  Something like this seems reasonable - although we need to figure out
> exactly what would be appropriate.  (Would we be able, with these
> changes to continue using https://vcl.ncsu.edu/ ?)
>
>  It might take some work to see how to reword material, such as this
> from the home page
>
> Development of The Virtual Computing Lab (VCL) started in 2004 as a
> joint venture of the College of Engineering (COE) and the Office of
> Information Technology (OIT) ...
>
> perhaps to
>
> Development of The Virtual Computing Lab (now using the software which
> has moved to the Apache VCL project) started in 2004 as a joint
> venture
> of the College of Engineering (COE) and the Office of Information
> Technology (OIT)

VCL or Virtual Computing Lab are just too close, especially given the
fact that the software project originates from NCSU VCL.

If Amazon were moving their EC2 software project to ASF would this fly:

Development of The Electronic Computing Cloud (now using the software
which has moved to the Apache EC2 project) started in 2004 by Amazon.

Looks bad to me.

Regards,
Alan

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by Henry E Schaffer <he...@unity.ncsu.edu>.

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 6, 2009, at 10:14 AM, Josh Thompson wrote:

> I'm sorry, I'm just not understanding what you're saying - I need
> you to
> restate it using different wording rather than just repeating
> yourself.  I
> don't understand the naming conflict between ASF VCL and NCSU's
> install of
> VCL (keep in mind the content at vcl.ncsu.edu will be changed to
> refer to
> development of VCL being at ASF and stuff at vcl.ncsu.edu to just be
> an
> install of it).  It seems to me, the Blackboard example I gave above
> exactly
> matches our situation.  If it can work for them, why can it not work
> for VCL?
> If you don't think it matches our situation, please clearly state
> how and why
> you don't think it matches.
>
> Matt and Kevan - Do you understand what Alan is saying?  If so, as
> our other
> two mentors, can you help to clarify it?

Heh. Pull me in from the sidelines...

Perhaps an example would be useful.

There are multiple cases where Open Source projects have moved to
Apache and maintained their name. For example, both OpenEJB and
ActiveMQ were Codehaus projects. They both entered Apache Incubator.
There was a period of time where there were (some) activities at both
Codehaus OpenEJB/ActiveMQ and within the corresponding Apache
Incuabator projects. However, over time, the projects were solely
focused on the Apache Incubator. You can find some vestiges of the old
Codehaus projects, but essentially the Codehaus projects no longer
exist.

So, is there a similar situation for VCL? It's been my impression that
a public facing NCSU 'VCL' entity was going to continue, along with
the Apache VCL project. If this is the case, then there would seem to
be a problem.

So, is there still going to be a public facing 'NCSU VCL' project?
It's been my impression that there would be.

Doing some research, http://vcl.ncsu.edu tells me that "Virtual
Computing Lab (VCL) is a remote access service..." Virtual Computing
Lab and (VCL) seem to be somewhat synonymous.

So, can you give us an idea on how you intend to break yourself from
the current situation? Things like: "NCSU Virtual Computing Lab:
powered by Apache VCL"? And usage of "VCL" on your web site will be
replaced by either "Virtual Computing Lab" or "Apache VCL", as
appropriate? The fact that the two terms appear to have been used
synonymously, would seem to complicate matters.

--kevan

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

my GPG/PGP key can be found at www.keyserver.net

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

On Thu March 5 2009 4:55:01 pm Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> On Mar 3, 2009, at 12:42 PM, sam averitt wrote:
> > Question: Suppose the project name became CloudMaker.  Would it not be
> > permissible to call the NC State cloud, NCSU CloudMaker or NC State's
> > CloudMaker?
>
> That would not be possible.  Maybe one way to make it more clear is
> assume that NCSU is IBM and we are Amazon.  Does this statement sound
> permissible:
>
> Would it be permissible to call the IBM cloud, IBM Electronic
> Computing Cloud or IBM's Electronic Computing Cloud?
>
> That would definitely not fly for either parties and, so, would not
> work here.
>
> > So what you are saying is that it doesn't matter what the name,
> > either formal or common, AFS rules require a different name?
>
> Correct, our project name has to be different.

This is the message I keep hearing (and by "hearing", I mean it is how I am
interpreting what I read) that doesn't make any sense to me:

"There must be a name for the project at ASF that isn't used anywhere else in
the world for any similar project, and anyone who downloads and installs said
project isn't allowed to use the ASF name in any way."

That doesn't make sense to me because t's a normal business model to produce
software that is to be sold and used by other people /without/ changing the
name of the software, in fact, it would generally be considered wrong to
change the name.  An example similar to ours that I can think of is
Blackboard software used for online courses.  www.blackboard.com is the site
for the company that develops it.  If you do a google search
for "allinurl:blackboard" you'll find many sites that have Blackboard
installed and actually use "blackboard" in the URL.

Josh

> > Among other
> > more recent names we considered was VCloud -- Virtual Cloud as in
> > cloud of
> > clouds. Would VCloud be an acceptable ASF name?
>
> VCloud might be fine.  Anything other than VCL.  However, once it's
> understood that the name has to change, it's the ASF community that
> gets to decide on the new name.
>

> Regards,
> Alan
>
> > Sam

- --
- -------------------------------

my GPG/PGP key can be found at www.keyserver.net

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

RE: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by sam averitt <sa...@ncsu.edu>.
Matt,

Question: Suppose the project name became CloudMaker.  Would it not be
permissible to call the NC State cloud, NCSU CloudMaker or NC State's
CloudMaker? So what you are saying is that it doesn't matter what the name,
either formal or common, AFS rules require a different name? Among other
more recent names we considered was VCloud -- Virtual Cloud as in cloud of
clouds. Would VCloud be an acceptable AFS name?

Sam

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

RE: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by sam averitt <sa...@ncsu.edu>.

Matt,

A simple suggestion on the name - that VCL be "transferred" to Apache.org
and become the official project name. Current users of VCL already wrap
their own identity around VCL. NC State would/could still use the qualified
name NCSU VCL or NC State's VCL and others would/could do likewise. For
example the Virginia group already calls their initiative Virginia VCL. I
believe there are no specific acknowledgement requirements for use of
apache.org software? Meaning that anyone could add a personalized qualifier
or not and a root linkage statement (like powered by Apache.org's VCL) or
not. Seems to me that providing a combined personal identifier and default
root linkage mechanism would help, not hurt the Apache brand. What I can say

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Feb 25, 2009, at 12:51 PM, Henry E Schaffer wrote:

>  We've had lots of points of view, perhaps showing that we have a
> diversity of starting points and understandings.
>
>  Is there an Apache Foundation doc (beyond the naming guidelines) that
> gives us a common starting point?

Other than this

http://www.apache.org/dev/project-names.html

I don't think so.

Regards,
Alan

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Feb 24, 2009, at 6:53 AM, Henry E Schaffer wrote:

> John writes:
>> Given Alan's assessment below, there appears to be an impasse without
>> changing the project name.
>
>  What impasse?
>
>  Alan is quoting Matt - who seems to say that if NC State does not
> have
> a separate project - and is just powering its production with Apache
> VCL
> (and says so) that solves the problem of the conflict between Apache
> and
> NC State appearing to have two different projects on the same topic.
>
>  That leaves the aspect of whether it makes any difference whether or
> not anybody spells out VCL as Virtual Computing Lab.  Personally, I
> don't see this as an additional problem - any name or acronym needs a
> further description - both at NC State and at Apache.  Even if we
> change
> the name at NC State to something like "cloudseed" - we're likely to
> say
> "Cloudseed is a virtual computing lab ..."  At Apache some of the
> documentation is likely to say "Apache VCL is a virtual computing
> lab ..."
> That would put us back into the same imagined conflict.

This is clearly not the same and it would not pull you into the
"imagined" conflict.

>  Why can't we just make it clear that we're following Matt's #2
>> 2. NCSU consumes the project from Apache and is the NCSU Virtual
>> Computing
>> Lab Powered by Apache VCL.
> by changing our VCL web site to make explicit that our production
> system
> is "powered by" the code from the Apache project - and that would save
> a ton of effort all around?
>
>  (e.g. then we wouldn't have to change a) the URL that all our
> students
> and faculty have been using for years from vcl.ncsu.edu to
> cloudseed.ncsu.edu, b) change vcl_help@ncsu.edu to
> cloudseed_help@ncsu.edu, c) get ECU, JohnstonCC, MCNC, NCCU, UNCG,
> WakeTech and WCU also to make the same changes, ...)

I am not proposing that NCSU change all its literature, website,
email, etc.  I am proposing that this incubating project change its
name; something that happens a lot when projects are incubating in the
ASF and there is a naming conflict.

Regards,
Alan

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by Henry E Schaffer <he...@unity.ncsu.edu>.
John writes:
> Given Alan's assessment below, there appears to be an impasse without
> changing the project name.

  What impasse?

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by John Bass <jc...@gmail.com>.
Given Alan's assessment below, there appears to be an impasse without
changing the project name. I propose we resolve this by suggesting names and
conducting a vote by either instant runoff (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting) or exhaustive ballot (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaustive_ballot). I prefer exhaustive ballot
since there is no real benefit in ending the process with one vote. If we
get stuck while using exhastive ballot, we can resolve by irv.

To start the process, here are a few name ideas:

- cloud provisioning engine - cpe
- cloudbuilder
- datacenter builder
- cloudseed
- rainmaker

John Bass
john_bass@ncsu.edu
www.cnl.ncsu.edu
(919) 515-0154

*From: *"Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

 From my vantage point I see a few things going on.  First, there is a

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Feb 19, 2009, at 7:03 AM, Brian Bouterse wrote:

> Within the world of apache nothing.  Do all acronyms drip with
> meaning in Apache or do some just pick a few letters?

You're being coy with me.  It's obvious that the meaning of VCL is the
same as what NCSU uses.

> There hasn't been a lot of discussion on this topic, yet it needs
> resolution.  When does this get put to vote?

You will not get my binding vote.  I suspect you may have difficulty
getting other binding votes when you try to push this issue through in
this manner.

Regards,
Alan

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by Brian Bouterse <bm...@ncsu.edu>.

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
What does VCL stand for then?

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by Brian Bouterse <bm...@ncsu.edu>.

Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Maybe we should look at this from a different angle - is there anything that
*can* happen for the name to continue as "VCL" at ASF?

Josh

On Tuesday January 06, 2009, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> Thanks for your comments Matt.
>
> Well, it's after the holidays.  Time to pick this thread back up.
> This issue needs to be resolved before we graduate.
>

> Regards,
> Alan
>
> On Dec 19, 2008, at 1:01 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> > Alan,
> >
> > Thanks for starting the discussion about this.  I think there are a
> > few different issues so I'll try to separate them.  The issues we
> > need to address is the trademark of VCL and the other is the
> > identity of the community.  Perhaps we should talk about these in
> > reverse order.
> >
> > First is the identity  of the community.  The move of the
> > development for the VCL codebase from NC State to Apache marked the
> > formation of a community outside of NC State.  So, what NC State
> > decides to do or not to do is not particularly relevant to the
> > community collaborating at Apache.  Given this separation, perhaps a
> > different name is appropriate so their is a clear distinction
> > between NC State's use of VCL and the Apache Incubator's community.
> >
> > As far as the name goes.  Since Virtualization and hosting is, well,
> > virtual, perhaps a name like spectre or Casper would be good :)
> > (ya, I already can see the naming police coming).

> >> OK - I think we've reached a very clear question to be resolved.  I
> >> think here's what needs to be resolved (at least in my mind):
> >>
> >> If VCL is a trademark owned by NCSU, and If NCSU assigns the
> >> ownership
> >> to the ASF - then would ASF give NCSU permission to continue its web
> >> site as is (possibly with an acknowledgement to the ASF)?
> >>
> >> Alternatively: If VCL is a trademark owned by NCSU, and If NCSU
> >> doesn't assign the ownership to the ASF, but gives permission to
> >> ASF to use
> >> "VCL" as part of naming this ASF project - could, and would the ASF
> >> use
> >> "AVCL" ("Apache VCL") as the name?  (Or some other formulation which
> >> would be an Apache name but clearly portray to users and potential
> >> users
> >> that it's the same project.)
> >>
> >> Does the above make sense?
> >> --