Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org> on 2016/05/09 14:59:25 UTC

Draft report

This is a draft for the May 2016 board report.

  - Apache River software provides a standards-compliant JINI service.

## Issues:
  - As discussed under "Health report", the project does have issues to
deal with, but it also has a functioning PMC to deal with them.

## Activity:
  - The main activity is preparing for the next release, currently
renamed 2.3.0

## Health report:
  - One of the active PMC members has resigned (moved to emeritus list).
Given the small size of the active core, this is a significant blow,
triggering discussion of the state and future of the project.

  - The project has technical issues, including age of code, lack of
support for use in languages other than Java, lack of support for
Android, and dependence on Java serialization.

  - Possibly as a result of the technical issues, there may be a
tapering off of interest in the project, making it hard to attract new
committers and PMC members.

  - Future paths that will be considered by the PMC include carrying on
as-is, making radical changes possibly in the direction of IoT, or going
to the attic. We intend to complete at least one more release first.

## PMC changes:
  - Currently 13 PMC members.
  - Greg Trasuk resigned
  - Last PMC addition was Bryan Thompson on Sun Aug 30 2015

## Committer base changes:

  - Currently 13 committers.
  - Last committer addition was Bryan Thompson at Mon Aug 31 2015

## Releases:

  - river-jtsk-2.2.3 was released on Sat Feb 20 2016

Re: Draft report

Posted by Bryan Thompson <br...@blazegraph.com>.
+1

Re: Draft report