Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Serge Huber <sh...@apache.org> on 2018/10/05 18:58:52 UTC

Comparison between Karaf, Spring & NodeJS

Hi all,

Following an interesting discussion on how to promote Apache Karaf
with JB at ApacheCon and in Paris, I suggested to compare Karaf to
Spring in a grid format and publish it on the website.

I wanted to get the ball rolling so I started a Google Spreadsheet here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Js5qTXXugEOsp-5kUYoUbCKP1xt1dUx8efWZcGbm6C4/edit?usp=sharing

By default commenting is allowed, so please don't hesitate. The
entries with a question mark are answers I don't have.

Also, the point is to make this as precise as possible, so it's quite
probable I made some mistakes because I might be biased towards Karaf
:)

cheers,
  Serge...

Re: Comparison between Karaf, Spring & NodeJS

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@apache.org>.
Thanks JB for the quick feedback. You're right that having code
comparisons would also be great. Unfortunately I have little
experience with Spring Boot so I didn't go down that path right away,
but I agree we should. Maybe I'll start a Google Doc with some tables
to prepare the flow of the comparison.

Regards,
  Serge...

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Comparison between Karaf, Spring & NodeJS

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Serge,

as discussed, it's a great idea.

Basically, I would propose the following:

- an example to compare code (especially with spring-boot) and show the
packaging/bootstrapping
- a documentation to evaluate based on your Google Spreadsheet.

Again, that's a great idea ;)

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Comparison between Karaf, Spring & NodeJS

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Steinar,

I think it would be great to have such example in the Karaf ones.

Mind to create a PR ?

Thanks
Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Comparison between Karaf, Spring & NodeJS

Posted by Steinar Bang <sb...@dod.no>.

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@apache.org>.
Hello Christian,

Thanks, that was my idea was to produce some content that we could put
up on the website, but of course I wanted to first get feedback and
improvements from the community first.

Regards,
  Serge...

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Hi Serge,

very nice. I think the migration reasons would be great to have on he karaf
site.

Christian

Am Sa., 6. Okt. 2018 um 21:18 Uhr schrieb Serge Huber <sh...@apache.org>:

> I think this exercice might prove interesting to illustrate what might
> be missing to have a strong on-boarding scenario. For me there is very
> little needed to have a much stronger story than any other frameworks
> !
>
> And to prove to you I believe this I started another document today:
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cZp-KymYOVgpBiHVPdLAYfKY81U_LzfqVYCIcVd2Mfg/edit?usp=sharing
>
> The idea is to offer arguments to migrate to Karaf from Spring or
> NodeJS. The list is by no means complete and feel free to comment or
> request editing access to add more or correct any mistakes I might
> have made.
>
> I hope all of this is helpful. I still believe Karaf has a huge
> potential that needs to be realized, it just needs to be properly
> communicated.
>
> Regards,
>   Serge...
> On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 10:48 AM Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have some WIP on CXF to have better REST support.
> >
> > We also have @rest, @jpa, ... annotations in karaf-boot wip.
> >
> > Regards
> > JB
> >
> > On 06/10/2018 09:44, francois.papon wrote:
> > > Hi Serge,
> > >
> > > I have many examples of code about REST with Karaf and I can make the
> > > exercice.
> > >
> > > We could also add JPA and webapp code for Karaf part.
> > >
> > > I also have an example about how to package an Angular webapp to be
> > > deployed on Karaf (thanks to JB ;) )
> > >
> > > I can add them today or tomorrow.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Francois
> > >

> > > Envoyé depuis mon smartphone Samsung Galaxy.

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Computer Scientist
http://www.adobe.com

Re: Comparison between Karaf, Spring & NodeJS

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Comparison between Karaf, Spring & NodeJS

Posted by "francois.papon" <fr...@openobject.fr>.
Hi Serge,

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@apache.org>.
Hello everyo

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi JB,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Serge,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Comparison between Karaf, Spring & NodeJS

Posted by "francois.papon" <fr...@openobject.fr>.
Hello Serge,
Ok, I see ;)
Thanks for the explanation.
Regards,
Francois

Envoyé depuis mon smartphone Samsung Galaxy.
-------- Message d'origine --------De : Serge Huber <sh...@apache.org> Date : 06/10/2018  10:46  (GMT+04:00) À : user@karaf.apache.org Objet : Re: Comparison between Karaf, Spring & NodeJS
Hello François,

Concerning the comparison with NodeJS it is not mandatory but I
thought it would make sense to compare Karaf to popular technologies
to build web platforms. The idea is to position Karaf as a perfectly
acceptable alternative to those two other frameworks.

Regards,
  Serge...

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@apache.org>.
Hello François,