Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Clifton Craig <cc...@gbg.com> on 2005/11/11 18:08:32 UTC

How to execute an AntCall for each property in a set

I need to iterate a propertyset which lists a project's dependencies. It's
basically just a list of name/val pairs matching a 3rd party product (or open
source jar) with a version. I want to execute an Antcall or something of the
like to ask our jar repository for the proper jar file so the build can
procede after the dependencies have been met. Any good advice on this? Thanx
in advance!

--
Clifton C. Craig, Software Engineer
ccraig@gbg.com

Re: How to execute an AntCall for each property in a set

Posted by Clifton Craig <cc...@gbg.com>.
Matt,

Thanx for the reply. However I was looking for a more standard approach
avoiding antcontrib. I want my build to be as simple as possible without the
need to pile on a bunch of additional library code as I took the latter
approach before and wound up in a lot of trouble down the line. I guess I
should explain that I am basically rewriting our existing build that I
screwed up a couple of years ago when I was fresh to Ant and I'm trying to
incorporate best practices. I question my current approach as well. I'm sure
many would suggest <insert name of Ant alternative here> for what I'm doing
but I'd like to stick with vanilla Ant. That's Ant sans contrib libs and with
as little customization as possible.

My builds (I'm using multiple builds for sub-components of our project) should
basically auto-include all dependencies for the sub-component they operate on
prior to starting their process. The idea is to define the properties in a
dependencies.list file which is basically a Java properties file listing
external libs and their equivalent version used in the sub-component. Later
(I the distant future that may never come) I have ideas to process the
dependencies list to generate a graphical tree outlining which libs our
project depends on and where (in which component) those dependencies occur.
I'm just trying to be smart about managing them up front rather than just
dumping them (as we used to) in some lib folder on the filesystem and
forgetting about them. Any clues?

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.