Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Matthew Boeckman <ma...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/20 20:32:18 UTC

Tomcat manager app question

Hello list!

I've combed through the docs and cannot find a reference to my question. I
am looking to grab some of the JVM memory utilization information presented
in the tomcat5.5 manager webapp and pull that into a monitoring/reporting
system. So far I have found

:8080/manager/serverinfo

Which provides me :

OK - Server info
Tomcat Version: Apache Tomcat/5.5.23
OS Name: SunOS
OS Version: 5.9
OS Architecture: sparc
JVM Version: 1.5.0_11-b03
JVM Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.

The html interface provides information on the JVM's memory utilization, so
I could conceivably get it that one, but I was hoping there is something
akin to serverinfo's stripped down display.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

-Matthew

RE: Tomcat manager app question

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Matthew Boeckman [mailto:matthew.boeckman@gmail.com]
> Subject: Tomcat manager app question
>
> I am looking to grab some of the JVM memory utilization
> information presented in the tomcat5.5 manager webapp
> and pull that into a monitoring/reporting system.

Assuming you want to do this remotely without changing an existing
Tomcat installation, I think you're stuck with parsing the output of the
/manager/status request.  Otherwise, the simplest solution might be to
update the serverinfo portion of the manager servlet on the target
system.  Or, with a bit more work, you could use the JMX MemoryPool
MBean that's built into all 1.5 and above JVMs (assuming you can enable
remote JMX monitoring on the target).

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.