Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Darren Yin <da...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/14 06:19:30 UTC

adding "create or replace view" documentation to the wiki

I just realized that this has existed in Hive for a couple years now, but
the only reference to it that exists on this page in the wiki
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+DDL
is an offhand remark in the documentation for ALTER VIEW AS SELECT. Looks
like it was implemented as a response to
HIVE-1078<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-1078>.
It even looks like there's a reminder to update the wiki, but it doesn't
seem like the wiki was ever updated.

Thanks!
--Darren

Re: How to Disable Hive CLI interactive mode

Posted by Sanjay Subramanian <Sa...@wizecommerce.com>.
I think this will work….with some tweaks
thanks a ton
sanjay

From: Stephen Sprague <sp...@gmail.com>>
Date: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:17 PM
To: "user@hive.apache.org<ma...@hive.apache.org>" <us...@hive.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: How to Disable Hive CLI interactive mode

ok. so there you go.   IMO, you're going to have to create a custom wrapper around hive so that your users find your wrapper (via PATH) before they find the real hive executable.

Your wrapper checks for whatever you deem acceptable and if so calls the real hive else errors out with your message.

pseudo-code:

#!/bin/bash
if [[ $#-eq 0 ]]; then
      echo "your message"
      exit 1;
else
      exec /path/to/real/hive $@
fi

there are other edge cases you may want to consider.  "hive -service cli" would pass and you wouldn't want that but you get the idea i presume.

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 5:32 PM, Sanjay Subramanian <Sa...@wizecommerce.com>> wrote:
Hi
To clarify what I need is as follows

- User types hive
 - Message is displayed "Cannot use hive without -e or -f options"

From: Stephen Sprague <sp...@gmail.com>>
Date: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 5:28 PM
To: "user@hive.apache.org<ma...@hive.apache.org>" <us...@hive.apache.org>>

not sure i understand.  you're asking how to disable  "hive" (with no args)  [interactive mode]  yet still permit "hive -e" [batch mode]?

if that's the case my proposal would be to have a wrapper around the hive executable and check if stdin is a tty.

then again if i've completely misunderstood the question could you elaborate?

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Sanjay Subramanian <Sa...@wizecommerce.com>> wrote:
Hi
I want to disable Hive CLI interactive mode for Hive clients in production accessing Hive. Mainly due to the following error…This error is solved in future 0.10.0+ versions perhaps but unfortunately upgrading is Not an option today since we are moving to production in the next few hours !!! YEAH…First Hive deployment in production…Thanks guys for that Hive Book and thanks all for your wonderful discussions and answers !

The second big project I am wrapping up is is moving to production on June 1st

Thanks

sanjay

2013-04-30 17:11:42,548 WARN  conf.Configuration (Configuration.java:warnOnceIfDeprecated(808)) - mapred.job.name<http://mapred.job.name> is deprecated. Instead, use mapreduce.job.name<http://mapreduce.job.name>
2013-04-30 17:11:42,651 ERROR exec.Task (SessionState.java:printError(403)) - FAILED: Error in metadata: java.lang.NullPointerException
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.HiveException: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.createIndex(Hive.java:724)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask.createIndex(DDLTask.java:856)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask.execute(DDLTask.java:248)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.Task.executeTask(Task.java:153)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.TaskRunner.runSequential(TaskRunner.java:57)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.launchTask(Driver.java:1331)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.execute(Driver.java:1117)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.run(Driver.java:950)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.processLocalCmd(CliDriver.java:258)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.processCmd(CliDriver.java:215)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.processLine(CliDriver.java:406)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.run(CliDriver.java:744)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.main(CliDriver.java:607)
    at org.apache.thrift.protocol.TBinaryProtocol.writeString(TBinaryProtocol.java:185)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.api.Index.write(Index.java:1085)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.api.ThriftHiveMetastore$add_index_args.write(ThriftHiveMetastore.java:53243)
    at org.apache.thrift.TServiceClient.sendBase(TServiceClient.java:63)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.api.ThriftHiveMetastore$Client.send_add_index(ThriftHiveMetastore.java:1816)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.api.ThriftHiveMetastore$Client.add_index(ThriftHiveMetastore.java:1807)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStoreClient.createIndex(HiveMetaStoreClient.java:868)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.createIndex(Hive.java:721)
    ... 17 more

2013-04-30 17:11:42,656 ERROR ql.Driver (SessionState.java:printError(403)) - FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
======================
This email message and any attachments are for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message along with any attachments, from your computer system. If you are the intended recipient, please be advised that the content of this message is subject to access, review and disclosure by the sender's Email System Administrator.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
======================

Posted by Stephen Sprague <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sanjay Subramanian <Sa...@wizecommerce.com>.
Hi

Posted by Stephen Sprague <sp...@gmail.com>.

Re: adding "create or replace view" documentation to the wiki

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@hortonworks.com>.
Glad to see someone paying attention to the docs.  I can't tackle these
tasks right now, so I'm adding dev@hive.apache.org to the mailing list.
 Hope springs eternal....

– Lefty

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
Your best bet is to find the relevant .q files inside the hive source code
and "figure out" what actually works.

Posted by Sanjay Subramanian <Sa...@wizecommerce.com>.
Hi
I want to disable Hive CLI interactive mode for Hive clients in production accessing Hive. Mainly due to the following error…This error is solved in future 0.10.0+ versions perhaps but unfortunately upgrading is Not an option today since we are moving to production in the next few hours !!! YEAH…First Hive deployment in production…Thanks guys for that Hive Book and thanks all for your wonderful discussions and answers !

The second big project I am wrapping up is is moving to production on June 1st

Thanks

sanjay

2013-04-30 17:11:42,548 WARN  conf.Configuration (Configuration.java:warnOnceIfDeprecated(808)) - mapred.job.name is deprecated. Instead, use mapreduce.job.name

Posted by Darren Yin <da...@gmail.com>.