Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by userx <ga...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/09 17:22:25 UTC

Data eviction to disk

Hi Igniters,

I have started learning and implementing ignite data grid. One of the basic
requirements I have is not to loose data stored in the cache, so if the data
evicts because of the size of the data going beyond the cache, I want this
data to be persisted in a file on a disk and still be retrievable
transparently to the client. How can I achieve this configuration ? I wasn't
able to find the same in Ignite documentation.

Thanks!

Re: Data eviction to disk

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
That’s a more high-level documentation that is to be released soon but you can already gain from it:
https://apacheignite.readme.io/v2.1/docs/distributed-persistent-store

—
Denis

Re: Data eviction to disk

Posted by vkulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.
Check this:

Re: Data eviction to disk

Posted by userx <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Val,

That's great to hear.Is the release on 17th July ? And also if you can help
me out with the JIRA link/some specification request document about this
feature, that will be great. I can go through the same to understand more
about this feature.

Re: Data eviction to disk

Posted by vkulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.
I would also add that 2.1 will have brand new persistence storage that will
make all cache work transparently across memory and disk. You will not have
to worry about where the particular data actually resides.

-Val

Re: Data eviction to disk

Posted by dkarachentsev <dk...@gridgain.com>.
Hi,

You may check out the swap storage [1], but it will be useful if keys
significantly smaller than values, because keys will be kept in memory.

[1] https://apacheignite.readme.io/v1.8/docs/off-heap-memory#swap-space

Thanks!
-Dmitry

Re: Data eviction to disk

Posted by userx <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Limabean

Thanks for the the pointers, I went through them but it looks like that
these pointers actually talk about eternal persistent storage, which means
that the whole data is put in the underlying storage(say a database), so
whenever there is an update to the existing entry, it will surely go to the
underlying storage.

My use case is around data eviction. I want to write to the persistent
storage only when the cache falls short of memory(it has to evict some
pages). Could you help me out with any pointers to the use case ?

Re: Data eviction to disk

Posted by limabean <dr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Userx,

You might need to implement your own code to back Ignite by disk, but here
are examples, discussions and documentation around that topic that you can
review:

https://github.com/apache/ignite/tree/master/examples/src/main/java-lgpl/org/apache/ignite/examples/datagrid/store/hibernate

http://apache-ignite-users.70518.x6.nabble.com/How-to-do-write-behind-caching-td12138.html

https://apacheignite.readme.io/v1.1/docs/persistent-store