Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Barnes, Gordon (ELSLON)" <Go...@eslo.co.uk> on 2003/07/23 16:50:50 UTC

Aggregation of pipelines

Hi,

I have a question with regard to aggregation and pipelines.

By using an aggregator you can split the generation of content into seperate
pipelines. Since the generators for these seperate pipelines could be
setting HTTP headers you can't start outputting anything until the are
finished generating the content. This means that you can't output anything
to the client until all content has been generated. Maybe Cocoon has some
clever way of getting around this but I'm not aware of it.

XSLT transformer. Does this load the full document before generating any
output? We have some large documents that we are trying to pass through a
pipeline and would like to be presenting something to the client before the
full document is available.

Can anyone help?

Re: Aggregation of pipelines

Posted by Peter Velychko <v_...@ukr.net>.
Hello Gordon,

BGE> XSLT transformer. Does this load the full document before generating any
BGE> output? We have some large documents that we are trying to pass through a
BGE> pipeline and would like to be presenting something to the client before the
BGE> full document is available.

Yes, XSLT transformer loads full document before transforming to build
nodes tree.
To transform large documents you may use STX (Streaming Transformation
for XML) insted of XSLT.
It has implementation in java at "joost" project (see
http://joost.sourceforge.net). Joost is also integrated in cocoon 2.1
(see the "stx" block)

--
Best regards,