Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Jens Alfke <je...@mooseyard.com> on 2009/02/22 02:02:18 UTC

Info on design-doc fields: actions, lists, shows ?

I've been trying to figure out CouchApp, but it looks like much of the
way it works is due to underlying functionality in CouchDB's design
documents, things that I can't find any documentation of anywhere. Is
there anything that describes what these fields of the design doc do?
	.actions
	.lists
	.shows

Thanks!

—Jens

Re: Info on design-doc fields: actions, lists, shows ?

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Jens Alfke <je...@mooseyard.com> wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2009, at 5:25 PM, Chris Anderson wrote:
>
>> I think a wiki page is in order... I'll see what I can do.
>
> I'm good at writin' and such; once I understand anything about CouchDB I
> hope to relay some of that to the wiki.

I added a page here. It's clear but not very fleshed out. Please feel
free to add more.

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Formatting_with_Show_and_List

Cheers,
Chris

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com

Re: Info on design-doc fields: actions, lists, shows ?

Posted by Jens Alfke <je...@mooseyard.com>.
On Feb 21, 2009, at 5:25 PM, Chris Anderson wrote:

> You're making me want to push out the next Rough Cut for the CouchDB
> book, without polishing it.

I'd be overjoyed. Even if it were rife with misspellings and sentence
fragments. Really! The current draft breaks off just as things get
really exciting...

> Aside from that, the best place to look is the Futon TestSuite.
> Checkout share/www/script/test/list_views.js and show_documents.js for
> example usage.

Will do; thanks for the quick reply.

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 5:02 PM, Jens Alfke <je...@mooseyard.com> wrote:
> I've been trying to figure out CouchApp, but it looks like much of the way
> it works is due to underlying functionality in CouchDB's design documents,
> things that I can't find any documentation of anywhere. Is there anything
> that describes what these fields of the design doc do?
>        .actions
>        .lists
>        .shows
>
> Thanks!

Jens,

You're making me want to push out the next Rough Cut for the CouchDB
book, without polishing it. I've been working on documentation there.

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 8:47 PM, Patrick Aljord <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 9:33 PM, Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org> wrote:
>> I should mention that actions is vestigial. It's leftover in some
>> example code from the initial work that ended up creating the
>> _external module, but nothing in CouchDB supports it currently.
>> Actions were basically show and list minus the rigorous cacheability
>> and side-effect free requirements.
>>

> Does this mean actions are deprecated?

Actions were never really part of trunk. For a while they were part of
the test suite for external. They are pretty easy to implement using
external, but you're generally better off using list and show.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com

Re: Info on design-doc fields: actions, lists, shows ?

Posted by Patrick Aljord <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.