Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by michel <co...@videotron.ca> on 2009/02/08 14:20:41 UTC

Still trying to get Tomcat 6 to work

It looks like I have it set up when I run it with the following script:

    export JAVA_HOME=/home/qsys/jdk1.6.0_12
    /home/qsys/apache-tomcat-6.0.18/bin/startup.sh
    ps

and I get the following

    Using CATALINA_BASE: /home/qsys/apache-tomcat-6.018
    Using CATALINA_HOME: /home/qsys/apache-tomcat-6.018
    Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /home/qsys/apache-tomcat-6.018/temp
    Using JRE_HOME: /home/qsys/jdk1.6.0_12

and I also get the following from the ps command that is in the script
    PID       TTY      TIME    CMD
    15057  pts/4     00:00:00   java

After the script is finished I type in ps again and there is no java process
and I can't reach the http://qsys.arachsys.com/

I have been looking at dfifferent web pages to figure out how to set it up
and I'm not convinced I have it right, but I can't figure out where I have
it wrong.

Re: Still trying to get Tomcat 6 to work

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
michel wrote:
> Much thanks, and now I learned one place to look for finding errors!
>

> Seems that the default port 8080 is somehow used (Protocol handler start
> failed: java.net.BindException: Address already in use<null>:8080),
It does not *seem* to be used, it *is* already used.
(well, at least it was when you tried to start tomcat).

  so I
> just change it in server.xml (from what I have been reading). But I am
> wondering about why port 8080 is used because I don't have any other
> server going that I know about,
Then it must be a server which you do not know about.  But it's there,
for sure.

so I would expect that it might be a
> better idea to figure out what is going on with port 8080.
Yes, you have to figure out which other server is/was already using it.

netstat -tanp | grep LISTEN

may help.

For example, on my system (Linux, Debian Etch) :

this line :

tcp6       0      0 :::8000                 :::*
LISTEN     4252/apache2

tells me that there is a process with PID 4252, running the "apache"
program, and which is listening on port 8000

and this line :

tcp6       0      0 :::8180                 :::*
LISTEN     2190/java

tells me that there is a process with PID 2190, running java, which
listens on port 8180

then if I do :
ps -ef | grep 2190
I see

tomcat4   2190     1  0 Jan09 ?        00:00:04
/usr/lib/j2sdk1.4-sun/bin/java -Djava.awt.headless=true -Xmx128M
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/share/tomcat4/common/endorsed -classpath
/usr/lib/j2sdk1.4-sun/lib/tools.jar:/usr/lib/j2sdk1.4-sun/jre//lib/jcert.jar:/usr/lib/j2sdk1.4-sun/jre//lib/jnet.jar:/usr/lib/j2sdk1.4-sun/jre//lib/jsse.jar:/usr/share/tomcat4/bin/bootstrap.jar
-Djava.security.manager
-Djava.security.policy==/var/lib/tomcat4/conf/catalina.policy
-Dcatalina.base=/var/lib/tomcat4 -Dcatalina.home=/usr/share/tomcat4
-Djava.io.tmpdir=/var/lib/tomcat4/temp
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start

Yep, it's Tomcat allright.

So, what do you see on your system ?

Posted by steve rieger <st...@up-south.com>.
Telnet localhost 8080

Netstat -arn | grep 8080

Much thanks, and now I learned one place to look for finding errors!

Seems that the default port 8080 is somehow used (Protocol handler start
failed: java.net.BindException: Address already in use<null>:8080), so I
just change it in server.xml (from what I have been reading). But I am
wondering about why port 8080 is used because I don't have any other server
going that I know about, so I would expect that it might be a better idea to

Posted by Dave Pawson <da...@gmail.com>.
2009/2/8 michel <co...@videotron.ca>:
> Much thanks, and now I learned one place to look for finding errors!
>

> Seems that the default port 8080 is somehow used (Protocol handler start
> failed: java.net.BindException: Address already in use<null>:8080), so I
> just change it in server.xml (from what I have been reading). But I am
> wondering about why port 8080 is used because I don't have any other server
> going that I know about, so I would expect that it might be a better idea to
> figure out what is going on with port 8080.

Many servers use port 80, so using 8080 is convenient. Nothing more complicated?

I have Apache running on port 80, so 8080 lets me run both.

HTH

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.

Re: Still trying to get Tomcat 6 to work

Posted by ovidiu asiminei <ov...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michel,

1. Can you check catalina.out logs ?

2 .try this commnad

# netstat -vatn | grep 80

and check  the output

Regards,

Ovidiu

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 7:20 AM, michel <co...@videotron.ca> wrote:

> It looks like I have it set up when I run it with the following script:
>
>   export JAVA_HOME=/home/qsys/jdk1.6.0_12
>   /home/qsys/apache-tomcat-6.0.18/bin/startup.sh
>   ps
>
> and I get the following
>
>   Using CATALINA_BASE: /home/qsys/apache-tomcat-6.018
>   Using CATALINA_HOME: /home/qsys/apache-tomcat-6.018
>   Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /home/qsys/apache-tomcat-6.018/temp
>   Using JRE_HOME: /home/qsys/jdk1.6.0_12
>
> and I also get the following from the ps command that is in the script
>   PID       TTY      TIME    CMD
>   15057  pts/4     00:00:00   java
>

> After the script is finished I type in ps again and there is no java
> process and I can't reach the http://qsys.arachsys.com/
>
> I have been looking at dfifferent web pages to figure out how to set it up
> and I'm not convinced I have it right, but I can't figure out where I have
> it wrong.

ovidiu asiminei