Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at> on 2008/06/13 15:46:57 UTC

[exec] Proposal - Moving commons-exec from sandbox to proper

Hi folks,

according to http://wiki.apache.org/commons/MovingFromSandboxToProperSVN
there needs to be an official proposal - any blockers from moving
commons-exec to commons proper?!

The current state of the commons-exec
(http://commons.apache.org/sandbox/exec/)

+) I made my first bug fix in April 2007 after finding out that I have
the karma to mess up the project ... :-)
+) I officially took over the code in November 2007
+) I went through all the open JIRAs and fixed them including regression
tests
+) I cleaned up the code and javadocs
+) removed commons-logging dependency
+) added a few more features plus regression tests
+) with the help of the commons community commons-exec was tested on
various platforms and JVMs (see
http://commons.apache.org/sandbox/exec/testmatrix.html)
+) I was promoted to commons committer in April 2008
+) there was some interest in getting/using commons-exec from the user
community
+) I use commons-exec in production for more than on year

The not so good things

+) unfortunately we have no coverage on Solaris and broken tests on
OpenVMS - the missing Solaris coverage is IMO critical
+) I am the one and only person actively maintaining the code

Thanks in advance

Siegfried Goeschl

PS: I just uploaded the website but it will take a while to be available

Re: [exec] Proposal - Moving commons-exec from sandbox to proper

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Siegfried Goeschl wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> according to http://wiki.apache.org/commons/MovingFromSandboxToProperSVN
> there needs to be an official proposal - any blockers from moving
> commons-exec to commons proper?!

+1

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Good idea ...

Siegfried Goeschl

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 6/13/08, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip/>

>  We have other components with only one active person so IMO its not a
>  blocker. For me I would hope there is an intention on your part to
>  stick around and support it - I'm not looking for any kind of promise,
>  since none of us know what the future holds and were all volunteers
>  that can disappear at any time - but I would be happier (voting to
>  promote) if I knew the intention was there.

<snap/>

Likewise.

-Rahul

Re: [exec] Proposal - Moving commons-exec from sandbox to proper

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Siegfried Goeschl
<si...@it20one.at> wrote:
> Hi Niall,
>
> I only have the same response I wrote six months ago ... :-)
>
> +) I can't make any promises but commons-exec is small enough to be
> maintained in the small hours when the family is asleep
> +) I'm not expecting a huge user base - it's too late for that since many
> in-house libraries are already used
> +) I'm not expecting many bugs because the original ANT while not perfect is
> still a solid foundation
> +) I think that one or two commons developers will use the code and might
> provide additional support if needed

Not sure whether this thread is a vote or not - but +1 from me to
promoting exec out of the sandbox to *proper*

Niall

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
You will be the primary support for OpenVMS ... :-)

Siegfried Goeschl

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 8:30 AM, Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 2:13 PM, Siegfried Goeschl
> <si...@it20one.at> wrote:
>> +) I think that one or two commons developers will use the code and might
>> provide additional support if needed
>
> I'm certainly one of those.

I guess I'm the other one! :)

Re: [exec] Proposal - Moving commons-exec from sandbox to proper

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Hi Niall,

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
1.5.0_15

2008/6/18 Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>:
> Hi Brett,
>
> which java version was being used so I can update the test matrix ...
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Siegfried Goeschl
>
> Brett Porter wrote:
>>
>> My results:
>>
>> Time: 49.106
>>
>> OK (55 tests)
>>
>> -bash-3.00$ uname -a
>> SunOS maven.zones.apache.org 5.10 Generic_127128-11 i86pc i386 i86pc
>>
>> Thanks for all your work on this!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Brett
>>
>> 2008/6/14 Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>:
>>

>>> Hi James,
>>>
>>> that was quick ... :-)
>>>
>>> +) any Solaris version would do
>>> +) the standalone tests suite is here :
>>> http://people.apache.org/~sgoeschl/download/commons-exec/
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Siegfried Goeschl

Brett Porter
Blog: http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/

Re: [exec] Proposal - Moving commons-exec from sandbox to proper

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Hi Brett,

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
My results:

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Well, the  machine I setup was an Intel-based machine (pentium 4 I
believe), just for playing around with Solaris.  This seems like a
quick way to get started playing with Solaris! :)  It's got JDK1.5 on
it right now I believe.  I'll try to run the tests tonight when I get
home.  Or, you could use the "zone" Brett mentioned.  Just let me
know.

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Hi James,

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
We also have a zone (Solaris on intel) that can be used to test it.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 3:46 PM, Siegfried Goeschl
<si...@it20one.at> wrote:
> according to http://wiki.apache.org/commons/MovingFromSandboxToProperSVN
> there needs to be an official proposal - any blockers from moving
> commons-exec to commons proper?!

As someone partially to blame for the code, +1 for moving to proper
and getting a release out.

/niklas

Re: [exec] Proposal - Moving commons-exec from sandbox to proper

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 4:03 PM, Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr> wrote:
> Siegfried Goeschl a écrit :
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> according to http://wiki.apache.org/commons/MovingFromSandboxToProperSVN
>> there needs to be an official proposal - any blockers from moving
>> commons-exec to commons proper?!
>
> I would be very happy to see Exec promoted and released.

Me too!  I wrote a little helper to do execs a while back and I wish I
knew about this API then.

Re: [exec] Proposal - Moving commons-exec from sandbox to proper

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Siegfried Goeschl a écrit :
> Hi folks,
>
> according to http://wiki.apache.org/commons/MovingFromSandboxToProperSVN
> there needs to be an official proposal - any blockers from moving
> commons-exec to commons proper?!

I would be very happy to see Exec promoted and released.

Luc