Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com> on 2014/09/11 04:14:12 UTC

76 character widths for board reports?

Is this really necessary?

Speaking as one who actually coded on punched cards on an octal based computer, I feel indignant that you young whippersnappers don't appreciate the hard won freedoms us older coders have brought to the younger generations.

Regards,
Alan

Re: 76 character widths for board reports?

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 7:17 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not sure if serious or calling Roman and Marvin youngin's....

Who's he calling a youngin? In Soviet Russia my first computer
played on me!

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: 76 character widths for board reports?

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
Not sure if serious or calling Roman and Marvin youngin's....

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Yep..I'm on a mainframe right now :)

I've written a program to emulate me:

./long-ass-messedup-wrapping-emails.py

Check out my apachestuff Github it's in
there..

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chief Architect
Office: 168-519, Mailstop: 168-527
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 12:02 AM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 7:14 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>
> wrote:
> > Is this really necessary?

Yes.

> The Board minutes, which include all reports, are formatted as plain text
> every month.

^^ rationale

>     Cutting and pasting directly from a Wiki is not acceptable due to
>     formatting issues. Line lengths should be limited to 77 characters.

I think we may have actually rejected one, in the past, for being
unreadable due to wiki formatting crap (thus, the need to-clarify /
for-the-rule).

Cheers,
-g

Re: 76 character widths for board reports?

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.