Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Rajeshwar Mothe <ra...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/09 15:05:29 UTC

hi plsss help me out

when i tried this piece of code i am getting this error

import java.io.FileInputStream;
import org.apache.poi.hwpf.usermodel.*;
import org.apache.poi.hwpf.HWPFDocument;
import org.apache.poi.hwpf.*;

public class HWPF {
     HWPFDocument file;
  file = new HWPFDocument(new FileInputStream("c:\\ResumeFormat.doc"));
        String dd = file.getTextTable();
        System.out.println(dd);
 }
}

error is

 C:\rajuwork>javac HWPF.java
HWPF.java:10: incompatible types
found   : org.apache.poi.hwpf.model.TextPieceTable
required: java.lang.String
        String dd = file.getTextTable();
                                     ^
1 error

Re: hi plsss help me out

Posted by Rajeshwar Mothe <ra...@gmail.com>.
  hi sir

  My requirement is to generate a resume in MSWORD format using HWPF (POI)

  i retrieved values from Database and alredy displayed in JSP page called
as resume.jsp

  now i want to display that data in a MSWORD using HWPF

 i am new to HWPF

 how i need to proceed and please send me sample code & where to start

 plzzz help me out

 plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

> }

Re: hi plsss help me out

Posted by za...@bracuniversity.ac.bd.
There was a mistake on my previous mail. This is OK:

import java.io.FileInputStream;
import org.apache.poi.hwpf.usermodel.*;
import org.apache.poi.hwpf.HWPFDocument;
import org.apache.poi.hwpf.*;

public class HWPF {
     HWPFDocument file;
  file = new HWPFDocument(new FileInputStream("c:\\ResumeFormat.doc"));
        Range range = file.getRange();
        String dd = range.text());
        System.out.println(dd);
 }
}

Zahurul
www.zahurul.com

Re: hi plsss help me out

Posted by Rajeshwar Mothe <ra...@gmail.com>.
hi all

 when iam executing tthis code iam getting error plzzzzzz help me urgent

package com.vl.hr.resume.action;

import java.io.IOException;
import java.io.PrintWriter;
import java.util.ArrayList;
import java.io.OutputStream;

import javax.servlet.ServletException;
import javax.servlet.ServletException;
import javax.servlet.http.HttpSession;

import org.apache.struts.action.Action;
import org.apache.struts.action.ActionForward;

import org.apache.log4j.Logger;

import com.vl.hr.util.common.CommonExceptionHandler;

import com.vl.hr.myprofile.values.EmployeePrimaryInformation ;
import com.vl.hr.myprofile.values.EmployeeGeneralInformation;
import com.vl.hr.myprofile.values.EmployeePersonalInformation;
import com.vl.hr.myprofile.values.EmployeeProfInformation;
import com.vl.hr.myprofile.values.EmployeeEducationInformation;
import com.vl.hr.myprofile.values.EmployeePreExperienceInformation;
import com.vl.hr.myprofile.values.EmployeeProfile;
import com.vl.hr.myprofile.values.EmployeeSkillsInformation;
import com.vl.hr.myprofile.values.EmployeeAwardsInformation;
import com.vl.hr.myprofile.values.EmployeeProjectHistory;

import org.apache.poi.hwpf.HWPFDocument;

public final class GenerateWordfile extends HWPFDocument {

    private static Logger log = Logger.getLogger(GenerateWordfile.class);

    public ActionForward execute(ActionMapping mapping,
                            ActionForm form,
                            HttpServletRequest request,
                            HttpServletResponse response)
    throws IOException, ServletException {
        HttpSession session=request.getSession(false);

         try  {

                        if(session!=null) {

                              PrintWriter out = response.getWriter();

                               /*
                                * to display the values in MS WORD format
                                */
                              response.setContentType("application/msword");

                              /*
                                * creating an object for  HWPF Document  {
HWPF_doccument_obj }
                                */
                             HWPFDocument  HWPF_doccument_obj = new
HWPFDocument();

                              EmployeeProfile
emp_profile=(EmployeeProfile)session.getAttribute("data");

                                if(emp_profile.emp_primary_info!=null)
                                        {
                                            EmployeePrimaryInformation
epi=emp_profile.emp_primary_info;

                                            String name=epi.firstname;

                                            OutputStream output_stream_obj =
new DataOutputStream(name);

 HWPF_doccument_obj.write(output_stream_obj);
                                            //out.println(epi.firstname);
                                        }
                                return mapping.findForward("success");

                         }
                         else {
                            log.warn("session failed");
                            return mapping.findForward("SessionFailure");
                         }

            } catch(Exception e) {
                      return CommonExceptionHandler.getExceptionAction
("GenerateWordfile",mapping,request,e,null,"images/report_l.jpg");
               }

    }
}

error is :

C:\Tomcat files\hraccess\build\build.xml:45: Compile failed; see the
compiler er
ror output for details.

Total time: 3 seconds
C:\Tomcat files\hraccess\build>ant package
Buildfile: build.xml

init:

compile:
   [delete] Deleting: C:\Tomcat
files\hraccess\src\properties\properties\Structu
re.xml
     [copy] Copying 1 file to C:\Tomcat
files\hraccess\src\properties\properties

    [javac] Compiling 7 source files to C:\Tomcat
files\hraccess\dist\classes
    [javac] C:\Tomcat
files\hraccess\src\java\com\vl\hr\resume\action\GenerateWo
rdfile.java:71: cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : constructor HWPFDocument ()
    [javac] location: class org.apache.poi.hwpf.HWPFDocument
    [javac]                              HWPFDocument  HWPF_doccument_obj =
new
HWPFDocument();
    [javac]
^
    [javac] C:\Tomcat
files\hraccess\src\java\com\vl\hr\resume\action\GenerateWo
rdfile.java:89: cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class DataOutputStream
    [javac] location: class com.vl.hr.resume.action.GenerateWordfile
    [javac]
                OutputStream output_stream_obj = new DataOutputStream(name);
    [javac]
                                                         ^
    [javac] 2 errors

Re: hi plsss help me out

Posted by Rajeshwar Mothe <ra...@gmail.com>.
 Hi tahir thank u very much once again  for u r suggetion

 but my requirement is i want to generate a MSword document from retrieving
values from Database

 how i need to start

 could u please send aome sample code so that i can start

 please help me

RE: hi plsss help me out

Posted by Tahir Akhtar <ta...@spectrum-tech.com>.
The error basically says that the return type of
HWPFDocument.file.getTextTable() is not String but you are trying to assign
it to a String type variable.  You must see the javadoc of TextPieceTable
class to understand what is being returned by the method.