Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rhino <rh...@sympatico.ca> on 2011/12/16 14:52:49 UTC

Free Tomcat Hosting?

  I'm wondering if anyone can tell me of anywhere that has free Tomcat
hosting?

I'd like to make a small number of Tomcat servlets and JSPs available as
part of a code portfolio to show prospective clients and/or employers.
Presumably, these would get very little use, just the occasional glance
from someone who wanted to see an example of my work. I don't want to
leave my own computer running 24x7 and I can't afford to pay for hosting
at this point, although that may change down the road.

I've seen plenty of free hosting services that offer things like MySQL
or blogging but I haven't found any yet that offer Tomcat.

Can anyone point me to some free Tomcat hosting?

--
Rhino

Re: Free Tomcat Hosting?

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
David kerber wrote:
> On 12/16/2011 8:52 AM, Rhino wrote:
>>
>> I'm wondering if anyone can tell me of anywhere that has free Tomcat
>> hosting?
>>
>> I'd like to make a small number of Tomcat servlets and JSPs available as
>> part of a code portfolio to show prospective clients and/or employers.
>> Presumably, these would get very little use, just the occasional glance
>> from someone who wanted to see an example of my work. I don't want to
>> leave my own computer running 24x7 and I can't afford to pay for hosting
>> at this point, although that may change down the road.
>
> I'd recommend scrounging up an old computer, configuring it as a server,
> and do your own hosting.  Mine is a P-III 1GHz with 256MB RAM, and it
> runs Debian Linux and Tomcat just fine for my personal website and photo
> hosting webapp.  It's good experience and a point on your resume during
> your job hunt as well.

If you do that at homne, it's also good training on how to set up a dynamic DNS
registration, and a router/firewall..

Re: Free Tomcat Hosting?

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Re: Free Tomcat Hosting?

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@vmware.com>.
On Fri, 2011-12-16 at 06:13 -0800, Daniel Mikusa wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-12-16 at 05:52 -0800, Rhino wrote:
> > I'm wondering if anyone can tell me of anywhere that has free Tomcat
> > hosting?
> >
> > I'd like to make a small number of Tomcat servlets and JSPs available as
> > part of a code portfolio to show prospective clients and/or employers.
> > Presumably, these would get very little use, just the occasional glance
> > from someone who wanted to see an example of my work. I don't want to
> > leave my own computer running 24x7 and I can't afford to pay for hosting
> > at this point, although that may change down the road.
> >
> > I've seen plenty of free hosting services that offer things like MySQL
> > or blogging but I haven't found any yet that offer Tomcat.
> >
> > Can anyone point me to some free Tomcat hosting?
> >

> Amazon has a "free" tier of AWS.
>
>   https://aws.amazon.com/free/
>
> I believe remains free for the first year.  I've not used it myself, but
> I believe you can run Tomcat on it.
>

> There are also free PAAS solutions like
>
>   http://cloudfoundry.com/
>   https://openshift.redhat.com/app/
>   http://jelastic.com/

I should have mentioned that with these services you don't necessarily
have Tomcat hosting your application.  Rather you just deploy your
application to an anonymous servlet container which is managed for you.

Re: Free Tomcat Hosting?

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@vmware.com>.

RE: Free Tomcat Hosting?

Posted by Charlotte Binns <Ch...@tate.org.uk>.
It may also be worth looking at these:

http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/showthread.php?2201697-Free-Web-Hosti
ng-.hta-access-Ruby-on-Rails-FFMPEG-TomCat-Python-cPanel-No-Ads
http://www.stonerocket.net/freehost.php

Never used them myself but I do have friends and colleagues who use them
who have given good reviews.

Charlotte Binns
IS Technical Architect
(020) 7887 8622

Re: Free Tomcat Hosting?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Free Tomcat Hosting?

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Rhino wrote:

>  I'm wondering if anyone can tell me of anywhere that has free Tomcat
> hosting?
>
> I'd like to make a small number of Tomcat servlets and JSPs available as
> part of a code portfolio to show prospective clients and/or employers.
> Presumably, these would get very little use, just the occasional glance
> from someone who wanted to see an example of my work. I don't want to
> leave my own computer running 24x7 and I can't afford to pay for hosting
> at this point, although that may change down the road.
>
> I've seen plenty of free hosting services that offer things like MySQL
> or blogging but I haven't found any yet that offer Tomcat.
>
> Can anyone point me to some free Tomcat hosting?

So you not only want free advice, but free hosting too ?
I'll never really comprehend this Open Source as a business model..
:-)