Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com> on 2007/04/03 17:47:57 UTC

Re: Some questions on customizing layout.

On Mar 28, 2007, at 12:00 AM, Bob Song wrote:

> Hello all,
> 	I'm a new user of Jetspeed 2.1. When I was customzing the layout,
> I met some questions:
>
> 	1. I found in the directory /decorations/layout/tigris there were
> some files of 'desktop'.
> 	   What's the function of them? I can't find any documents about
> them except in the release note. It seems a new feature.
> 	   I'm interested in them because I found some jsp files in it.
> I'm not familiar with velocity, so I wanna work with jsp.

There are two modes of operation in Jetspeed: "Portal" mode and
"Desktop" mode
You can checkout either one by navigating to (assuming running Tomcat
on localhost 8080):

# Portal mode
http://localhost:8080/jetspeed/portal

# Desktop mode
http://localhost:8080/jetspeed/desktop

When we wrote our Desktop page decorators, we gave examples in both
Velocity and JSP
The actual template used is configured in the
decoratordesktop.properties of each decorator:

desktop.template.extension=.jsp

(Unfortunately the documentation for 2.1 did not get completed, so
most of the desktop is undocumented)

For Portal mode, we have only implemented page decorations with Velocity
There is nothing keeping you from writing a JSP-based decoration
template, it should work

> 	2. How to remove mode or/and status buttons from the decorator of
> a portlet?
> 		Currently, I have achieved it by copying the decorator.vm from
> the layout root path to a certain layout path and removing
> '#PortletActionBar($decoration)' from the file.
> 		I'm wondering whether there are other methods.

Yes, recommend creating your own page decoration to get rid the
action bars
It would be nice to have this parameterized as a feature though, so
that you don't have to go through all that trouble
Go ahead and create a JIRA issue if you think its worthwhile

> 	And another general question is: where could I search infomation
> in old posts, and is there any other good forums on jetspeed using
> and developing?

There are several, see:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/portals-jetspeed-dev/
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/portals-jetspeed-user/
http://www.nabble.com/Jetspeed---User-f198.html

Re: Re: Some questions on customizing layout.

Posted by Bob Song <da...@gmail.com>.
Thank you very much, David!  Some features in desktop mode is amazing!

Bob Song
2007-04-04