Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Dennis Skinner <ds...@bluefrog.com> on 2005/04/13 22:24:27 UTC

SA randomly sucking up huge amounts of memory

Hello all,

Searched SA's website and google and scanned the past several weeks of
emails to this list without luck.  I hope someone can help me out.

A week or two ago, SA started randomly sucking up huge amounts of memory
in one or more of the spamd children.  I added the
--max-conn-per-child=25 switch and noticed that the problem still
happened, but would resolve itself evertually.  Upon closer inspection,
I found that spamd is is hanging on a message and gradually sucking up
more and more memory (anywhere from 400-800MB).  Eventually spamd
finishes what it is doing and moves on, then it hits the 25 conn limit
and the child is restarted and the memory released.

I have managed to catch 3 of the messages that it has hung on.  All 3
happen to be spam, but I can't be sure that it hasn't happened on good
mail since I only have 3 at the moment.  2 of the messages took just
over 1000 seconds to scan and the 3rd, just over 600 seconds (two
different servers).  The spam report is generated like normal and
everything continues as if nothing happened.  The spam is tiny,
basically just one of those "visit this link" emails.  Viewing my logs,
I see other very similar spams coming through around the same time
without problems.

I found reference to a problem with corruption in the bayes db, but
db_verify doesn't report any issues with my db.  The 1000 and 600 second
scantimes are leading me to some sort of weird timeout, but I'm not sure
where.

I am running SA 3.02 and it is happening on both Suse9.1 and RedHat9
servers, using Exim/Exiscan.  I have set lock_method to flock, turned on
bayes_learn_to_journal, and the servers are running caching name
servers.  I am hoping to catch it again and get an strace on the
problemed child.  In the meantime, any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!

--
Dennis Skinner
Systems Administrator

Re: SA randomly sucking up huge amounts of memory

Posted by Robert Menschel <Ro...@Menschel.net>.
Hello Dennis,

DS> A week or two ago, SA started randomly sucking up huge amounts of memory
DS> in one or more of the spamd children.  ...

DS> I have managed to catch 3 of the messages that it has hung on.

I've got some suspicions, but would need to actually have the emails
to verify them.  Any chance you can zip or tar.gz them up (so they
don't tie up my SA system) and mail them to me?

Bob Menschel