Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ashnil Dixit <as...@Alum.Dartmouth.ORG> on 2006/01/19 20:24:46 UTC

[users@httpd] question about Apache versions

All,

Relative newbie to Apache here. Trying to setup certificate based client
authentication for a website.
I am a little confused as to why there are versions of Apache available -
Apache 1.3, 2.0 and 2.2?

Does Apache 2.2 superceed the other two versions? Which version should I go
with?

Thanks,
Ash

Re: [users@httpd] question about Apache versions

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 1/19/06, Ashnil Dixit <as...@alum.dartmouth.org> wrote:

> All,
>
> Relative newbie to Apache here. Trying to setup certificate based client
> authentication for a website.
> I am a little confused as to why there are versions of Apache available -
> Apache 1.3, 2.0 and 2.2?
>
> Does Apache 2.2 superceed the other two versions? Which version should I go
> with?

For a new site you should use 2.2 unless you have a specific reason to
choose another version.  Such a reason might be a module that is not
compatible with 2.2, but I don't think many of those still exist.  2.2
is the version that has ongoing development.

Joshua.