Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Andy Pahne <ap...@der-die-das.org> on 2006/08/28 22:32:53 UTC

@EventListener question

Currently I am playing with the new @EventListener feature and I like it
  very much. That's how Ajax should be.

I have a question: in the form there are two @PropertySelection
components. The second one is supposed the change it's selected value
dependant on the first one. Both PropertySelections are connected to a
page property.

This is my listener:

@EventListener(events = "onchange", elements = "countrySelection")
public void countryChanged(IRequestCycle cycle) {
     cycle.getResponseBuilder().updateComponent("regionSelection");
}

Submitting the form (asyn or not) like I saw in the TimeTracker demo
application is not an option because there are more form fields the user
is supposed to fill out. So this one will not work for me:

@EventListener(events = "onchange",
     elements = "countrySelection"  submitForm = "myForm")
public void countryChanged(IRequestCycle cycle) {
     cycle.getResponseBuilder().updateComponent("regionSelection");
}

So: how can I access the value of the
countrySelection@PropertySelection's value that triggerd the listener
method? I think that the page property is not yet updated by my async
request because the form was not submitted.

Thanks,
Andy

Re: @EventListener question

Posted by Pedro Viegas <pv...@gmail.com>.
Point taken!
No less appreciation though! :-D

Thanks all the same Jesse!
And keep the spirits up on the Tap 4.1 road ahead... we're all salivating
with the released new features! ;-)
Keep 'em coming, and the stability of this Alpha makes very Betas I know
more than a little embarrassed!

Regards,

On 8/29/06, Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I should make a note of it one last time so that guilt doesn't drive me
> mad...
>
> The @EventListener annotation was originally Howard's idea, I just
> implemented it. I'm sure this will be a common occurrence as more and more
> of T5 evolves. (as much as makes sense/is possible at least)
>
> On 8/28/06, Andy Pahne <an...@skaffen.de> wrote:
> >

> > works like a charm with SNAPSHOT...
> >
> > Pedro Viegas schrieb:
> > > Yep, all I said only works if you submit the form in async mode.
> > > Be aware that until somewhere last week that had problems. You must
> use
> > the
> > > current SNAPSHOT for this to work.
> > > If you submit the form asyncronously the validation of the other
> fileds
> > > wont
> > > be a problem and all should work.
> > >
> > > Regards,

> http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4.1/UsersGuide/listenermethods.html
> > >is

> http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4.1/tapestry-framework/apidocs/org/apache/tapestry/dojo/form/Autocompleter.html

> the
> > >>

> http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4.1/tapestry-annotations/index.html#EventListener

> being
> > think

> > like

> > value

> ().updateComponent("regionSelection");

> demo
> the

> ().updateComponent("regionSelection");

> > listener
> > async

> > --
> > Andy Pahne
> >
> > Email     ap@der-die-das.org
> > Telefon   +49 (721) 722 84 67
> > Mobil     +49 (174) 171 68 70

> Jesse Kuhnert
> Tapestry/Dojo/(and a dash of TestNG), team member/developer

Pedro Viegas

Re: @EventListener question

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.

Re: @EventListener question

Posted by Andy Pahne <an...@skaffen.de>.

Pedro Viegas schrieb:
> Yep, all I said only works if you submit the form in async mode.
> Be aware that until somewhere last week that had problems. You must use the
> current SNAPSHOT for this to work.
> If you submit the form asyncronously the validation of the other fileds
> wont
> be a problem and all should work.
>
> Regards,
>
> On 8/28/06, Andy Pahne <an...@skaffen.de> wrote:
>>

>> I can't submit it because the user has to fill in some more fields.
>>
>> Maybe I am wrong. There is nothing about submitting the form (async). I
>> will try that. The user then might fill in the rest...
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Andy
>>
>> Pedro Viegas schrieb:
>> > Hi there Andy,
>> >
>> > Why can't you submit the form like you say?
>> > If you read the bottom comments on:
>> > http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4.1/ajax/EventListener.html
>> >
>> > You'll see that...
>> > "When your
>> > listener<
>> http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4.1/UsersGuide/listenermethods.html>is
>> >
>> > invoked you can be confident that your
>> > projectSelect
>> > Autocomplete<
>> http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4.1/tapestry-framework/apidocs/org/apache/tapestry/dojo/form/Autocompleter.html
>>
>> >component
>> >
>> > has also been updated to reflect the currently selected value.
>> >
>> > As an added bonus, form validation is turned off by default with the
>> > EventListener<
>> http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4.1/tapestry-annotations/index.html#EventListener
>>
>> >annotation
>> >
>> > as the majority use case is likely to be one off individual
>> > events where invoking client side validation would be a cumbersome
>> > experience for users."
>> > So, according to this there is no problem with the other fields being
>> > submitted since the client validation will not be activated. So I think
>> > you've got the answer all along. :-D
>> >
>> > Regards,

>> it

>> user

>> --
>> Andy Pahne
>>
>> Email     ap@der-die-das.org
>> Telefon   +49 (721) 722 84 67
>> Mobil     +49 (174) 171 68 70

Andy Pahne

Email     ap@der-die-das.org
Telefon   +49 (721) 722 84 67
Mobil     +49 (174) 171 68 70

Re: @EventListener question

Posted by Pedro Viegas <pv...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> >> public void countryChanged(IRequestCycle cycle) {
> >>      cycle.getResponseBuilder().updateComponent("regionSelection");
> >> }
> >>

> >> Submitting the form (asyn or not) like I saw in the TimeTracker demo
> >> application is not an option because there are more form fields the
> user
> >> is supposed to fill out. So this one will not work for me:
> >>

> >> @EventListener(events = "onchange",
> >>      elements = "countrySelection"  submitForm = "myForm")
> >> public void countryChanged(IRequestCycle cycle) {
> >>      cycle.getResponseBuilder().updateComponent("regionSelection");
> >> }
> >>

> >> So: how can I access the value of the
> >> countrySelection@PropertySelection's value that triggerd the listener
> >> method? I think that the page property is not yet updated by my async
> >> request because the form was not submitted.

Pedro Viegas

Re: @EventListener question

Posted by Andy Pahne <an...@skaffen.de>.

Pedro Viegas schrieb:
> Hi there Andy,
>
> Why can't you submit the form like you say?
> If you read the bottom comments on:
> http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4.1/ajax/EventListener.html
>
> You'll see that...
> "When your
> listener<http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4.1/UsersGuide/listenermethods.html>is
>
> invoked you can be confident that your
> projectSelect
> Autocomplete<http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4.1/tapestry-framework/apidocs/org/apache/tapestry/dojo/form/Autocompleter.html>component
>
> has also been updated to reflect the currently selected value.
>
> As an added bonus, form validation is turned off by default with the
> EventListener<http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4.1/tapestry-annotations/index.html#EventListener>annotation
>
> as the majority use case is likely to be one off individual
> events where invoking client side validation would be a cumbersome
> experience for users."
> So, according to this there is no problem with the other fields being
> submitted since the client validation will not be activated. So I think
> you've got the answer all along. :-D
>
> Regards,
>

> On 8/28/06, Andy Pahne <ap...@der-die-das.org> wrote:
>>

>> Currently I am playing with the new @EventListener feature and I like it
>>   very much. That's how Ajax should be.
>>
>> I have a question: in the form there are two @PropertySelection
>> components. The second one is supposed the change it's selected value
>> dependant on the first one. Both PropertySelections are connected to a
>> page property.
>>
>> This is my listener:
>>
>> @EventListener(events = "onchange", elements = "countrySelection")
>> public void countryChanged(IRequestCycle cycle) {
>>      cycle.getResponseBuilder().updateComponent("regionSelection");
>> }
>>

>> Submitting the form (asyn or not) like I saw in the TimeTracker demo
>> application is not an option because there are more form fields the user
>> is supposed to fill out. So this one will not work for me:
>>

>> @EventListener(events = "onchange",
>>      elements = "countrySelection"  submitForm = "myForm")
>> public void countryChanged(IRequestCycle cycle) {
>>      cycle.getResponseBuilder().updateComponent("regionSelection");
>> }
>>

>> So: how can I access the value of the
>> countrySelection@PropertySelection's value that triggerd the listener
>> method? I think that the page property is not yet updated by my async
>> request because the form was not submitted.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Andy

Andy Pahne

Email     ap@der-die-das.org
Telefon   +49 (721) 722 84 67
Mobil     +49 (174) 171 68 70

Re: @EventListener question

Posted by Pedro Viegas <pv...@gmail.com>.
Hi there Andy,

Why can't you submit the form like you say?
If you read the bottom comments on:
http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4.1/ajax/EventListener.html

You'll see that...
"When your listener<http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4.1/UsersGuide/listenermethods.html>is
invoked you can be confident that your
projectSelect Autocomplete<http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4.1/tapestry-framework/apidocs/org/apache/tapestry/dojo/form/Autocompleter.html>component
has also been updated to reflect the currently selected value.

As an added bonus, form validation is turned off by default with the
EventListener<http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4.1/tapestry-annotations/index.html#EventListener>annotation
as the majority use case is likely to be one off individual
events where invoking client side validation would be a cumbersome
experience for users."
So, according to this there is no problem with the other fields being
submitted since the client validation will not be activated. So I think
you've got the answer all along. :-D

Regards,

On 8/28/06, Andy Pahne <ap...@der-die-das.org> wrote:

> Currently I am playing with the new @EventListener feature and I like it
>   very much. That's how Ajax should be.
>
> I have a question: in the form there are two @PropertySelection
> components. The second one is supposed the change it's selected value
> dependant on the first one. Both PropertySelections are connected to a
> page property.
>
> This is my listener:
>
> @EventListener(events = "onchange", elements = "countrySelection")
> public void countryChanged(IRequestCycle cycle) {
>      cycle.getResponseBuilder().updateComponent("regionSelection");
> }
>

> Submitting the form (asyn or not) like I saw in the TimeTracker demo
> application is not an option because there are more form fields the user
> is supposed to fill out. So this one will not work for me:
>

> @EventListener(events = "onchange",
>      elements = "countrySelection"  submitForm = "myForm")
> public void countryChanged(IRequestCycle cycle) {
>      cycle.getResponseBuilder().updateComponent("regionSelection");
> }
>

> So: how can I access the value of the
> countrySelection@PropertySelection's value that triggerd the listener
> method? I think that the page property is not yet updated by my async
> request because the form was not submitted.
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

Pedro Viegas