Posted to dev@trafodion.apache.org by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/11 00:59:16 UTC

Website Updates

Hi folks:

I'm working on updating the website. As I look around, I find that some
projects seem to have a separate repository for the website. I assume that
it's so that the website can be updated asynchronously from the actual
project.

Examples:

   - http://phoenix.apache.org/building_website.html
   - https://geode.incubator.apache.org/contribute/

What would be the pros and cons you'd see for Apache Trafodion? Is anyone
dead against a separate repository for the website?

Gunnar

Re: Website Updates

Posted by Gunnar Tapper <gu...@esgyn.com>.
​I would think so. I'm not sure how it could pull it out of the different
release branches?​

--
Thank you,

Gunnar Tapper
Presales Manager
Esgyn Corp.

RE: Website Updates

Posted by Roberta Marton <ro...@esgyn.com>.
While I was looking at the Apache information pages, I noticed this
information about including documentation in a release:

There are also some compelling arguments for making the documentation for a
release available for browsing online. (Issuing documentation as compressed
archives is just another type of distribution and the standard rules for
artifacts apply.) This makes support of releases easier and helps users
understand which release is most appropriate for them.

Online documentation should be archived so that it can be easily recreated.
Though using www.apache.org/dist for these files is convenient and ensures
that they are archived, it should not be used for this purpose.
Documentation typically consists of many relatively small files and so is
inefficient to sync. Users will view it using http and so there is no
advantage in these files being distributed to the mirrors. The cost of
syncing to the mirrors should therefore be avoided.

The best approach is to commit the documentation for a release into
subversion. Then check out into a directory in the website. Generally,
checking generated documentation into source control is often considered bad
practise. But it is very suitable for fixing the documentation for a
particular release.

     Roberta

Posted by Carol Pearson <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Website Updates

Posted by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com>.
So:

   - Web site in single branch of main repo
   - Generate documents from master, publish to release-specific landing
   pages
   - Generate web site, which pulls in the release-specific landing pages

?

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 6:31 PM, Venkat Muthuswamy <
venkat.muthuswamy@esgyn.com> wrote:

> I agree with Steve. The product documentation is tied to the source version
> and should stay with the code repository.
>
> The artifacts from the product build can be staged some place before the
> website is built.
> We can probably script that part that pulls in the necessary documentation
> files together.
>
> Venkat

Gunnar

RE: Website Updates

RE: Website Updates

Posted by Steve Varnau <st...@esgyn.com>.

Re: Website Updates

Posted by Gunnar Tapper <gu...@esgyn.com>.

RE: Website Updates

Posted by Steve Varnau <st...@esgyn.com>.

Re: Website Updates

Posted by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

wrote:

> +1 - we do need to update the website and other artifacts separately from
> the main code and I would create a JIRA and file it under build
> infrastructure.
>
> Some questions to ponder: .  Have you given thought to how the website
> changes will be separated from the Trafodion product changes?  Will there
> be
> a separate repository and how will the repository be maintained?  Also,
> will
> the new repository only contain website changes?  Will this also be a good
> place to put documentation changes - as Hans mentioned?  When we release
> Apache artifacts, do we also have to release the documentation (don't think
> so)?
>
>      Roberta

Gunnar

RE: Website Updates

Great. Should I create a jira to create a new docs branch?

Thanks,

Gunnar

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 4:48 PM, Hans Zeller <ha...@esgyn.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> Another thing I noticed with other sites, the Javadoc pages seem to be
> available only for the latest release (at least that was my
> impression). It might be good to make those and other reference
> information like manuals available for older versions as well.
>
> Another dimension is whether we put info on a static page vs. a wiki
> where people can edit and comment. Apache requires certain things to
> be on a page managed by source control, but IMHO it would be nice to
> have other info on a wiki, with discussions right near the page with
> the relevant content, so people can see and discuss common problems
> and their solutions. Also, the speed is much faster. Even if we put
> the non-wiki site in a separate repository, some rules for committing
> changes to it may still apply.
>
> Hans
>
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 3:33 PM, Christophe LeRouzo <c....@esgyn.com>
> wrote:
>
> > +1
> >
> > It can also enable different kind of contributions than the ones on
> > the code itself.
> >
> > Regards,
> > -clr

Gunnar

Re: Website Updates

Posted by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com>.
Great. Should I create a jira to create a new docs branch?

Thanks,

Gunnar

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 4:48 PM, Hans Zeller <ha...@esgyn.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> Another thing I noticed with other sites, the Javadoc pages seem to be
> available only for the latest release (at least that was my impression). It
> might be good to make those and other reference information like manuals
> available for older versions as well.
>
> Another dimension is whether we put info on a static page vs. a wiki where
> people can edit and comment. Apache requires certain things to be on a page
> managed by source control, but IMHO it would be nice to have other info on
> a wiki, with discussions right near the page with the relevant content, so
> people can see and discuss common problems and their solutions. Also, the
> speed is much faster. Even if we put the non-wiki site in a separate
> repository, some rules for committing changes to it may still apply.
>
> Hans
>
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 3:33 PM, Christophe LeRouzo <c....@esgyn.com>
> wrote:
>
> > +1
> >
> > It can also enable different kind of contributions than the ones on the
> > code
> > itself.
> >
> > Regards,
> > -clr

Gunnar

Re: Website Updates

Posted by Hans Zeller <ha...@esgyn.com>.
+1

RE: Website Updates

> As it turns out, we immediately hit issues with having the website as
> part of the product source tree.
>
> The website is really a standalone entity that operates at a different
> speed than the product and that should be on a different release
> schedule than the overall product.
>
> The speed issue is that the review-then-commit model has long delays
> built in, which are counter productive for website development (since
> that development tends to be sporatic and clustered) thereby slowing
> down the updates and and forcing huge commits instead of incremental
> commits. The tie to a release is really odd since a website update is
> forcefully tied to a product release in such a model. A workaround
> would be to publish the content of the docs/target directory before
> the in-progress release is done, which doesn't really follow the
> spirit of release versions. If anything, the website should have it's own
> version scheme.
>
> Given the precedence of other projects separating out the website and
> documentation, then it seems reasonable to do the same from Trafodion.
> I assume that the committers votes on this? Is a Jira needed or some
> other approach?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gunnar
>
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 5:15 PM, Dave Birdsall
> <da...@esgyn.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just thinking out loud.
> >
> > Pros to keeping just one repository:
> >
> > Makes it possible to update code and web site in one pull request. I
> don't
> > know anyone who is doing that now however. Longer term, though, we
> > will want to encourage documentation to be updated alongside code so
> > this may be
> the
> > direction we want to go.
> >
> > Makes it easier to have a notion of code + web site being on the
> > same release thread. Of course that can still be done with separate
> > repositories; it is just twice the work from an infrastructure
> > perspective.
> >
> > Pros for having separate repositories:
> >
> > Makes it easier for the web site to be "pan-release". For example,
> > one
> can
> > maintain separate pages for past releases and pages for future releases.
> >
> > It might be interesting to inquire of other projects why they do
> > things
> the
> > way they do.
> >
> > Dave

Amanda Moran

Re: Website Updates

Posted by Amanda Moran <am...@esgyn.com>.
+1

wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As it turns out, we immediately hit issues with having the website as part
> of the product source tree.
>
> The website is really a standalone entity that operates at a different
> speed than the product and that should be on a different release schedule
> than the overall product.
>
> The speed issue is that the review-then-commit model has long delays built
> in, which are counter productive for website development (since that
> development tends to be sporatic and clustered) thereby slowing down the
> updates and and forcing huge commits instead of incremental commits. The
> tie to a release is really odd since a website update is forcefully tied to
> a product release in such a model. A workaround would be to publish the
> content of the docs/target directory before the in-progress release is
> done, which doesn't really follow the spirit of release versions. If
> anything, the website should have it's own version scheme.
>
> Given the precedence of other projects separating out the website and
> documentation, then it seems reasonable to do the same from Trafodion. I
> assume that the committers votes on this? Is a Jira needed or some other
> approach?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gunnar
>
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 5:15 PM, Dave Birdsall <da...@esgyn.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just thinking out loud.
> >
> > Pros to keeping just one repository:
> >
> > Makes it possible to update code and web site in one pull request. I
> don't
> > know anyone who is doing that now however. Longer term, though, we will
> > want
> > to encourage documentation to be updated alongside code so this may be
> the
> > direction we want to go.
> >
> > Makes it easier to have a notion of code + web site being on the same
> > release thread. Of course that can still be done with separate
> > repositories;
> > it is just twice the work from an infrastructure perspective.
> >
> > Pros for having separate repositories:
> >
> > Makes it easier for the web site to be "pan-release". For example, one
> can
> > maintain separate pages for past releases and pages for future releases.
> >
> > It might be interesting to inquire of other projects why they do things
> the
> > way they do.
> >
> > Dave

Amanda Moran

Re: Website Updates

Posted by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just thinking out loud.
>
> Pros to keeping just one repository:
>
> Makes it possible to update code and web site in one pull request. I don't
> know anyone who is doing that now however. Longer term, though, we will
> want
> to encourage documentation to be updated alongside code so this may be the
> direction we want to go.
>
> Makes it easier to have a notion of code + web site being on the same
> release thread. Of course that can still be done with separate
> repositories;
> it is just twice the work from an infrastructure perspective.
>
> Pros for having separate repositories:
>
> Makes it easier for the web site to be "pan-release". For example, one can
> maintain separate pages for past releases and pages for future releases.
>
> It might be interesting to inquire of other projects why they do things the
> way they do.
>
> Dave

Gunnar

RE: Website Updates