Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Brent Clark <br...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/06 17:11:10 UTC

auto-whitelist woes

Hi

I recently installed spamassasin on my freebsd test machine. For the
likes of me, I keep getting this message, and I dont know how to fix it.

Aug  6 17:06:43 spamassasin spamd[63534]: auto-whitelist: open of
auto-whitelist file failed: locker: safe_lock: cannot create tmp
lockfile
/nonexistent/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock.spamassasin.eccotours.local.63534
for
/nonexistent/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock: No such file or directory

If anyone could assist, I would really appreciate it.

Kind Regards
Brent Clark

Re: auto-whitelist woes

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Brent Clark wrote:
> Hi
>
> I recently installed spamassasin on my freebsd test machine. For the
> likes of me, I keep getting this message, and I dont know how to fix it.
>
> Aug  6 17:06:43 spamassasin spamd[63534]: auto-whitelist: open of
> auto-whitelist file failed: locker: safe_lock: cannot create tmp
> lockfile
> /nonexistent/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock.spamassasin.eccotours.local.63534
> for
> /nonexistent/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock: No such file or directory
>
> If anyone could assist, I would really appreciate it.

Looks like you're running spamd as root, and spamc is getting called as
root. To avoid the risky task of scanning mail while holding root
privilges, SA setuid's itself to the "nobody" user. However, nobody
doesn't, and shouldn't, have a writable home directory.

If you're doing a per-user config (ie: procmailrc), that's probably fine
and you'll only get that for mail delivered to root's mailbox. That
shouldn't be a problem unless you alias lots of mail to root, in which
case you should consider aliasing it elsewhere.

 If you're doing a system wide config that always calls spamc as root
(ie: some milters, etc), I'd suggest creating a user for spamd to run as
and passing that as a -u parameter to either spamc or spamd.