Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Daniel Pardo <dp...@fia.es> on 2004/10/12 13:00:08 UTC

Jetspeed 1 or 2

Hi, Im beginning to develop a web application with jetspeed 1.5, and im
learning all the process. But:

Might I forget 1.5 and begin with Jetspeed 2?
There are enought documentation for develop in jetspeed 2 environment?

What is your opinion?

Thanks a lot from Spain,

Daniel Pardo

Re: Jetspeed 1 or 2

Posted by Roger Ruttimann <ro...@apache.org>.
It all depends on the time frame of your product release.

Jetspeed-2 is not as ready as Jetspeed-1 is in terms of customization,
documentation and available UI features. The J2 framework is mature and
the UI and customization is catching up.

If you start developing a Web Portal now J2 should definitely be your
choice. If you need something to show now or lets say by the end of the
year you could as well consider the "hybrid" approach. The latest
Jetspeed-1 CVS contains Fusion (soon to be officially released) which
allows you to run J2 (JSR-168 compliant) portlets in J1.

The advantage of the Fusion approach is that you can develop J2 portlets
while using the advanced customization features of J1. Once J2 is ready
your migration issues would be minimal because your business logic
(Portlets) won't change.

I used this approach for our recent projects and it works pretty well.

Roger