Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Justin French <ju...@indent.com.au> on 2003/07/01 18:26:59 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache install under 10.2.6 help please

Greetings,

Just got a new G4 and OSX yesterday.  Excited, I went hunting for
tutorials on the web about installing Apache/PHP/MySQL, and dived right
in.

For various reasons, the two tutorials I have tried have not worked,
with errors at some point during the install.

So, I did some more reading, and found out that OSX cam with Apache
pre-installed... all I needed to do was turn on personal web server in
the sharing panel of system preferences.

This is not working for me, and I've read whatever help I can find in
MacOS help, etc.

I believe the other partial installs of Apache may be conflicting with
the base install, or perhaps Apache is NOT installed by default in
newer versions?

When I check the processes utility, I currently have 6 processes named
httpd running, 5 of which are running as nobody, one as root.

I assume there should only be one?

How would I cleaning out the mess, and clean-installing what I need?

TIA
Justin

Re: [users@httpd] Apache install under 10.2.6 help please

Posted by Mac Serve <ma...@ns.sympatico.ca>.
Justin:

I am running OS X as well. Go to http://127.0.0.1/afda And tell us what
the server stamp says. 10.2.6 should have Apache 1.3.27. What version
did you try to install?

- Mike

Re: [users@httpd] Apache install under 10.2.6 help please

Posted by Justin French <ju...@indent.com.au>.
Nope.  127.0.0.1:8080 works, but not 127.0.0.1

Justin

Posted by Mac Serve <ma...@ns.sympatico.ca>.

Posted by Justin French <ju...@indent.com.au>.
Dan,

http://localhost:80/ doesn't work, but I also tried 8000 and 8080...

http://localhost:8080 DOES work.

For argument's sake, I placed a file in Library/WebServer/Documents,
and it worked.

So, it would appear that my httpd.conf is listening on port 8080,
whereas I need it to listen on 80 (ie localhost/) and 6000 (ie
localhost:6000/) -- my ADSL router redirects this port to my G4's IP.

But searching for httpd.conf in Finder yields no results.

The next step from here would be to get it working with my domain
(should be easy), then look at getting PHP & MySQL hooked in.

Any help, or any articles that point me the right way would be great.

TIA,

Justin French

Posted by dan frost <da...@danfrost.co.uk>.

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Justin French wrote:
> MySQL said:
> Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
> "
>
> I know for a fact that PHP was NOT compiled --with-mysql, so this could
> be one factor, but a larger factor may be that mysql isn't installed or
> configured properly at all.

This do indicate that PHP got all it needs (the client), but there is no
server to connect to. Is MySQL installed? If OS X comes with MySQL, I very
much hope that it isn't enabled by default, so you would have to at least
start MySQL. How to do that on a Mac, I have no idea...

Regards,
Robert Andersson

Re: [users@httpd] Apache install under 10.2.6 help please

Posted by Joe Apache <ap...@productivitymedia.com>.
Hey Justin,

OS X is definitely a strange beast. (Hope 10.3 is better in the UNIX
department!) Ok some questions... did you install Apache 2.0.46 or use
the one provided by Apple? I would not use the one provided by Apple as
it's an older version and has some vulnerabilities. You can use the
source distribution without any problems, so I would suggest installing
that.  To use PHP use change the httpd.conf the same way you did in
/etc/httpd/httpd.conf.  As for MySQL, goto the website and get in
binary distribution, install that somewhere (maybe /usr/local)... read
the INSTALL file and then you should be ok...

PS. As for the localhost problem try 127.0.0.1 (internal IP address) as
that works without any problems.

Cheers,

Re: [users@httpd] Apache install under 10.2.6 help please

Posted by Justin French <ju...@indent.com.au>.
Ok, I've had some luck.

I *can* access apache through http://localhost:8080/, but even when I
add port 80 to that list, I cannot access it via just http://localhost/.

After adding a few lines to /etc/httpd/httpd.conf, I've also got PHP
working, which is awesome...

Now I'm really just stuck with MySQL.  There's already a user called
mysql (but I have no idea what the password is of course), and when I
install/run phpMyAdmin, I get the following error:

"
MySQL said:
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
"

I know for a fact that PHP was NOT compiled --with-mysql, so this could
be one factor, but a larger factor may be that mysql isn't installed or
configured properly at all.

I know this is getting WAY OT, so if anyone is able to help me
off-list, I'd really appreciate it.

justin@indent.com.au
ICQ 51366657

Thanks for your time,