Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Fernando Pereira <fe...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/17 10:02:35 UTC

Multiple transformations without recalculating or caching

Dear Spark users

Is it possible to take the output of a transformation (RDD/Dataframe) and
feed it to two independent transformations without recalculating the first
transformation and without caching the whole dataset?

Consider the case of a very large dataset (1+TB) which suffered several
transformations and now we want to save it but also calculate some
statistics per group.
So the best processing way would for: for each partition: do task A, do
task B.

I don't see a way of instructing spark how to proceed that way without
caching to disk, which seems unnecessarily heavy. And if we don't cache
spark recalculates every partition all the way from the beginning. In
either case huge file reads happen.

Any ideas on how to avoid it?

Thanks
Fernando

Re: Multiple transformations without recalculating or caching

Posted by Phillip Henry <lo...@gmail.com>.
A back-of-a-beermat calculation says if you have, say, 20 boxes, saving 1TB
should take approximately 15 minutes (with a replication factor of 1 since
you don't need it higher for ephemeral data that is relatively easy to
generate).

This isn't much if the whole job takes hours. You get the added bonus that
you can inspect interim data to help understand how the results came to be.

This worked for us. As ever, YMMV.

Phillip

Posted by Fernando Pereira <fe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastian Piu <se...@gmail.com>.