Posted to users@maven.apache.org by tespackman <te...@yahoo.com> on 2008/11/21 22:33:59 UTC

usage of maven-release-plugin's branch feature

I am trying to create an automated branching mechanism, and am trying to
understand the branch goal of the release plugin.

According to the "Specify versions on the command line." section on the
plugin's page I should be able to specify the next development version's
number right on the command line.  There's an example there, but I can't for
the life of my figure it out...  It talks about using something like
"-Dproject.dev.org.myCompany:projectA=2.0-SNAPSHOT" on the plugin's page,
but it doesn't seem to work.

The problem I am having is that ALL of our version numbers are 3 digits
(e.g. X.Y.Z-SNAPSHOT), and the next dev version needs to have the minor
version upped (e.g. Y+1).  There is absolutely no way we can use just two as
suggested elsewhere in the list.

I want to be able to pass parameters to the plugin to specify that my next
development version should be X.Y+1.0-SNAPSHOT -- I can pass the value in...
I just can't seem to figure out how.

Any thoughts, especially examples, would be welcome.

Thanks,
Trevor

Re: usage of maven-release-plugin's branch feature

Posted by tespackman <te...@yahoo.com>.

I'm afraid that I wasn't entirely clear...  I will run the branch goal from
the trunk using a pom with a version of 3.5.0-SNAPSHOT.  It (correctly)
creates a branch of the appropriate number (because I passed in the name).
But then it tries to update the working copy pom on the trunk to
3.5.1-SNAPSHOT -- I need it to be 3.6.0-SNAPSHOT.  So, yes, it is behaving
exactly as you said.  Alas, I'm totally stuck with the 3-digit system.  I
just want to tell the plugin which version to use for the next LOCAL
version.

Thanks for your input!

Posted by John Stoneham <ly...@lyrically.net>.