Posted to dev@orc.apache.org by Owen O'Malley <ow...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/11 22:17:29 UTC

Draft of Apache ORC board report

All,
   Every three months our project needs to update the Apache Board with our
current status. Please provide any feedback.

.. Owen

 - A high-performance columnar file format for Hadoop workloads.

## Issues:
 - There are no issues requiring the board's attention.

## Activity:
 - We are planning bug fix releases on the 1.3 and 1.4 branches with
Prasanth
   as the release manager.
 - Spark has started using the ORC 1.4 release (instead of the ORC from Hive
   1.2), which has lead to large performance improvements. The work to
improve
   the Spark bindings for ORC continues.
 - Presentations:
   - Ingesting Data at Blazing Speed Using Apache ORC

https://dataworkssummit.com/sydney-2017/sessions/ingesting-data-at-blazing\
-speed-using-apache-orc/
   - Performance Update: When Apache ORC Met Apache Spark.

https://dataworkssummit.com/sydney-2017/sessions/performance-update-when-a\
pache-orc-met-apache-spark/
   - Big Data Storage - Comparing Speed and Features for Avro, JSON, ORC,
and
     Parquet.

https://dataworkssummit.com/sydney-2017/sessions/big-data-storage-comparin\
g-speed-and-features-for-avro-json-orc-and-parquet/
 - We are discussing a new version of the ORC format for ORC 2.0.

## Health report:
 - The community continues to gain strength.

## PMC changes:

 - Currently 9 PMC members.
 - New PMC members:
    - Eugene Koifman was added to the PMC on Tue Sep 05 2017
    - Deepak Majeti was added to the PMC on Tue Sep 05 2017

## Committer base changes:

 - Currently 36 committers.
 - Last committer addition was Deepak Majeti at Tue May 09 2017

## Releases:

 - Last release was 1.4.0 on Sun May 07 2017

## Mailing list activity:

 - The number of subscribers to the various lists has been increasing.

 - dev@orc.apache.org:

 - issues@orc.apache.org:

 - user@orc.apache.org:

## JIRA activity: