Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Robert Menschel <Ro...@Menschel.net> on 2004/08/03 21:09:42 UTC

Re[2]: Increase this weekend?

Hello Jim, Diane,

Monday, August 2, 2004, 11:55:04 AM, you wrote:

JM> Quoting diane <di...@mathermotorsports.com>:

>> Hi folks,
>>
>> My webhost has spamassassin installed on their machines, we can turn
>> it on and configure it if we desire. I did so about a month ago for
>> one of my servers. It's worked pretty good for me, hardly any spam
>> gets through. ...

JM> I cant comment (well I could, but not accurately) on the increase in
JM> spam levels
JM> as I have not seen this myself, but since you say you have the ability to
JM> customize your install of spamassassin, I would suggest either downloading and
JM> installing a couple of relevant rulesets and/or configure SURBL support.

Unfortunately, many hosting arrangements like this give us only
user_prefs configuration options, which means that we can't add new rules
(eg: SARE) to the mix, and can't update SA itself (eg: SURBL).

Me, I cheat -- I have a script which waits for my host's SA run to
complete, grabs the email, accepts any "this is spam" determination
without question, and does not believe any "this is ham" determination.
My script then issues the spamassassin command against that email, with
my own rules in place, and sees whether those rules call this spam or
ham. If both runs call an email ham, then I accept that. If either run
calls an email spam, then spam it am.

Bob Menschel