Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Richard Braman <rb...@bramantax.com> on 2006/03/25 23:32:47 UTC

.8 Searching

Is searcher.dir still valid property in nutch-site.xml?
I am using nutch on cygwin with Tomcat 5.5, and nutch trunk
I have done a few segements but  getting no results.

<property>
    <name>searcher.dir</name>
    <value>T:\nutch-trunk\taxcrawl</value>
  </property>

Richard Braman
mailto:rbraman@taxcodesoftware.org
561.748.4002 (voice)

http://www.taxcodesoftware.org <http://www.taxcodesoftware.org/>
Free Open Source Tax Software

RE: .8 Searching

Posted by Richard Braman <rb...@bramantax.com>.
The .8 tutorial is confusing in the following regard(s).

1.  The index command should say crawl/indexes instread of just indexes.
When it is just indexes it puts it in the directory where you run the
command from and as a result, nutch will not search it and 0 results
will be returned.

2.  The invertlinks syntax also looks incorrect as it wont go into all
of your segments
	bin/nutch invertlinks crawl/linkdb crawl/segments/*

3.  Users should be advised to put this into the nutch-site.xml file in
their WEB-INF\classes directory instead of the current instructions.
This also applies to 0.7.x
<property>
    <name>searcher.dir</name>
    <value>path/to/crawl/directory</value>
  </property>

Current Instruction
"The webapp finds its indexes in ./crawl, relative to where you start
Tomcat, so use a command like:
~/local/tomcat/bin/catalina.sh start"

Since .8 is not on the WIKI, and the instructions are different, maybe
we need to have two different Tutorials on the WIKI after all.