Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Rees Watkins <ga...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2008/06/18 23:47:11 UTC

Invoice for service

Hi
Invoices are generated when an item is shipped.
Services products are not shipped, so an invoice is not generated.
An invoice need to be generated for the item to be reflected in the Sales ledger - according to the default ledger setup.
This does not seem right. Can someone please spot my error.
Kind reagrds
Rees

Sent from Yahoo! Mail.

Re: Invoice for service

Posted by Enrique Ruibal <er...@prodigy.net.mx>.
Hi,

I think it is a matter of configuring ofbiz it is certainly not a standard
behavior e.g. something you would find in the demo data, I had a long
discussion in the forums previously, you might like to check this thread

http://www.nabble.com/Can%27t-Approve-Orders-with-service-products-tt16242722.html#a16659894

-Enrique Ruibal

Re: Invoice for service

Posted by Enrique Ruibal <er...@prodigy.net.mx>.
David,

That is a rather interesting approach what you have mentioned, I definitely
need to study more about work effort and time management in ofbiz, as per my
previous experience I had been working with services 'as products' e.g. like
the digital product thing, but now I think it certainly makes a more sense
the way it is handled by ofbiz.

Thanks for the feedback
-Enrique Ruibal

David E Jones wrote:

> Enrique,
>
> You mentioned: "you are supposed to be able to configure ofbiz
> so that it behaves in such a way that it triggers the invoice generation
> process as soon as the order is approved in the case of services".
>
> If that's the case it is functionality I've never heard of, but it
> could exist!
>
> I think one of the reasons is that services aren't often done through
> products. For now you could mark those products as digital goods, but
> that's assuming you can and should bill for services immediately, ie
> before they are performed.
>
> Typically services are billed by agreement, and against hour entries,
> and that is what OFBiz supports right now OOTB. If you have a
> timesheet or a WorkEffort with time entries associated with it you can
> add invoice items to a new or existing invoice for those.
>
> -David
>

> On Jun 19, 2008, at 9:21 AM, Enrique Ruibal wrote:
>

>> Yeah, it makes me wonder too..you are supposed to be able to
>> configure ofbiz
>> so that it behaves in such a way that it triggers the invoice
>> generation
>> process as soon as the order is approved in the case of services,
>> although
>> I'm not that familiar with the framework yet, so that I could provide
>> further useful advice.
>>
>> Perhaps some one more experienced with this part could give us a
>> hint, as to
>> how to acomplish this.
>>
>> -Enrique Ruibal
>>

>> Rees Watkins wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>> Thanks for you responce.
>>> If I change my product to a digital good then an invoice is
>>> generated and
>>> all accounts are fine.
>>> I do not understand why service product type does not generate an
>>> invoice.
>>> Service is not inherited from good - most product types including
>>> digital
>>> good are.
>>> Do you have any ideas on why an invoice is not generated. I am rather
>>> lost.
>>> Thanks

Re: Invoice for service

Posted by Grant Edwards <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi David

We act as 3rd party booking agents for our hotel suppliers, so in terms
of product modelling a product type of "SERVICE" seemed the best fit.
Payment for the service in our case is taken up front by means of a
credit card. I did consider "ASSET_USAGE" as a product type but given
our business model we dont really have any assets to speak of, apart
from our software that is. We have in the mean time marked the products
as DIGITAL_GOOD and the accounting seems to be working fine.

Kind regards

Grant Edwards

WIP
SUBASSEMBLY
SERVICE
RAW_MATERIAL
MARKETING_PKG_PICK
MARKETING_PKG_AUTO
GOOD
FINISHED_GOOD
FINDIG_GOOD
DIGITAL_GOOD
ASSET_USAGE
AGGREGATED_CONF
AGGREGATED

David E Jones wrote:

> Enrique,
>
> You mentioned: "you are supposed to be able to configure ofbiz
> so that it behaves in such a way that it triggers the invoice generation
> process as soon as the order is approved in the case of services".
>
> If that's the case it is functionality I've never heard of, but it
> could exist!
>
> I think one of the reasons is that services aren't often done through
> products. For now you could mark those products as digital goods, but
> that's assuming you can and should bill for services immediately, ie
> before they are performed.
>
> Typically services are billed by agreement, and against hour entries,
> and that is what OFBiz supports right now OOTB. If you have a
> timesheet or a WorkEffort with time entries associated with it you can
> add invoice items to a new or existing invoice for those.
>
> -David
>

> On Jun 19, 2008, at 9:21 AM, Enrique Ruibal wrote:
>

>> Yeah, it makes me wonder too..you are supposed to be able to
>> configure ofbiz
>> so that it behaves in such a way that it triggers the invoice generation
>> process as soon as the order is approved in the case of services,
>> although
>> I'm not that familiar with the framework yet, so that I could provide
>> further useful advice.
>>
>> Perhaps some one more experienced with this part could give us a
>> hint, as to
>> how to acomplish this.
>>
>> -Enrique Ruibal
>>

>> Rees Watkins wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>> Thanks for you responce.
>>> If I change my product to a digital good then an invoice is
>>> generated and
>>> all accounts are fine.
>>> I do not understand why service product type does not generate an
>>> invoice.
>>> Service is not inherited from good - most product types including
>>> digital
>>> good are.
>>> Do you have any ideas on why an invoice is not generated. I am rather
>>> lost.
>>> Thanks

Re: Invoice for service

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Enrique,

Re: Invoice for service

Posted by Enrique Ruibal <er...@prodigy.net.mx>.
Yeah, it makes me wonder too..you are supposed to be able to configure ofbiz
so that it behaves in such a way that it triggers the invoice generation
process as soon as the order is approved in the case of services, although