Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Georg Datterl <ge...@geneon.de> on 2008/11/17 15:36:22 UTC

break-before breaks span?

Hello everybody,

Todays question: Can break-before break span? If yes, why? If no, read on:

Attached you will find a small fo-file containing one simple page master and two pages. Although the page master has a column-count=2, both pages should be single-column, therefore span=all is used. Both pages should start at an odd page, therefore  break-before=odd-page is used.

The unexpected result: The text on the first page uses both columns, the second page is empty, but the text on the third page uses only one column. When I remove the first page or break-before, the second text uses both columns. Why?

Regards,

Georg Datterl

------ Kontakt ------

Georg Datterl

Geneon media solutions gmbh
Gutenstetter Stra�e 8a
90449 N�rnberg

HRB N�rnberg: 17193
Gesch�ftsf�hrer: Yong-Harry Steiert

Tel.: 0911/36 78 88 - 26
Fax: 0911/36 78 88 - 20

www.geneon.de

Re: break-before breaks span?

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
Vincent Hennebert wrote:
<snip/>
> See section 4.8 of the XSL-FO 1.1 specification [1]:
> “A break-after condition depends on the next formatting object in the
> flow; the condition is satisfied if either there is no such next
> formatting object, or if the first normal area generated and returned by
> that formatting object is leading in a context-area.”
>
> So in the present case, there is a next object (the second block), and
> the break-after="odd-page" specified on the first block forces that
> second block to start on an even page.

grmblbl. Of course if break-after is set to "odd-page", then the second
block must start on an odd page. If break-after is set to "even-page",
then the next content must start on an even page.

Apologies for the typo. As if that weren’t confusing enough already...
Vincent

Re: break-before breaks span?

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Andreas Delmelle wrote:
> On 19 Nov 2008, at 11:43, Vincent Hennebert wrote:
>
>> Georg Datterl wrote:
>>> Hello again,
>>> To keep this thread alive, I tried using break-after. Using
>>> break-after="even-page" does what I would have expected from
>>> break-before="odd-page", but break-after="odd-page" creates TWO empty

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#keepbreak

> OTOH, there does indeed seem to be a slight glitch, in the sense that
> break-conditions do not appear to be checked across page-sequences.
>
> Take this:
>
> <fo:page-sequence master-reference="contents" initial-page-number="2">
>   <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
>     <fo:block span="all" break-before="even-page" break-after="odd-page">
>       [Text]
>     </fo:block>
>
> Then we get no empty page before, as is expected, since we are already
> on an even page.
>
> If you add a second fo:block, then you get an empty page in between the
> two blocks. Again, as expected.
>
> BUT: if you move the same block into a second page-sequence, the empty
> page disappears again.

This is a bug, unless the term ‘flow’ used in section 4.8 actually
refers to fo:flow. But I don’t believe so.

Vincent

Re: break-before breaks span?

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.
On 19 Nov 2008, at 11:43, Vincent Hennebert wrote:

> Georg Datterl wrote:
>> Hello again,
>> To keep this thread alive, I tried using break-after. Using break-
>> after="even-page" does what I would have expected from break-
>> before="odd-page", but break-after="odd-page" creates TWO empty
>> pages. Why?
>
> I guess you use FOP version 0.94? I can reproduce that, but starting
> from 0.95 no empty page is created at all, even when it should be the
> case (break-after="odd-page").

Why would that be a bug? The way I see it, the first block finishes on
page 1, which is already an odd page, so the break-condition is
satisfied, simply by breaking the page there. No empty page needed.

Interpretation:
break-before="even-page" simply means "the first area generated by
this FO should end up on an even page"

Somewhat counter-intuitive, break-after="odd-page" actually means "the
first area /after/ the last area generated by this FO should end up on
an even(!!!) page"

OTOH, there does indeed seem to be a slight glitch, in the sense that
break-conditions do not appear to be checked across page-sequences.

Take this:

<fo:page-sequence master-reference="contents" initial-page-number="2">
   <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
     <fo:block span="all" break-before="even-page" break-after="odd-
page">
       [Text]
     </fo:block>

Then we get no empty page before, as is expected, since we are already
on an even page.

If you add a second fo:block, then you get an empty page in between
the two blocks. Again, as expected.

BUT: if you move the same block into a second page-sequence, the empty
page disappears again.

Cheers

Andreas

Re: break-before breaks span?

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Georg,

Georg Datterl wrote:
> Hi Vincent,
>
>>> To keep this thread alive, I tried using break-after. Using break-after="even-page" does what I would have expected from break-before="odd-page", but
>>> break-after="odd-page" creates TWO empty pages. Why?
>> I guess you use FOP version 0.94? I can reproduce that, but starting from 0.95 no empty page is created at all, even when it should be the case
>> (break- after="odd-page").
>> Another bug, I guess, that we would be grateful to you if you could also report it on bugzilla.
>
> I'm not quite sure what to report here, since no empty page in case of break-after="odd-page" is the desired result.

So after my correction to my previous mail, with break-after="odd-page"
there should be one empty page and the second block should start on page 3.
FOP 0.94 gets it wrong since it creates one empty page when break-after
is set to even-page, and indeed two empty pages with odd-page, instead
of respectively 0 and 1.
FOP 0.95 doesn’t seem to honor the break at all. So please still report
a bug ;-)

> P.S.: Did you get my mail last Thursday or is this address only for the mailing list?

Hmmm, I didn’t receive anything, so you may want to send it again. My
address is not only for mailing lists, but don’t tell anybody ^^

Thanks,
Vincent

AW: break-before breaks span?

Posted by Georg Datterl <ge...@geneon.de>.
Hi Vincent,

> > To keep this thread alive, I tried using break-after. Using break-after="even-page" does what I would have expected from break-before="odd-page", but
> > break-after="odd-page" creates TWO empty pages. Why?
> I guess you use FOP version 0.94? I can reproduce that, but starting from 0.95 no empty page is created at all, even when it should be the case
> (break- after="odd-page").
> Another bug, I guess, that we would be grateful to you if you could also report it on bugzilla.

I'm not quite sure what to report here, since no empty page in case of break-after="odd-page" is the desired result.

P.S.: Did you get my mail last Thursday or is this address only for the mailing list?

Regards,

Georg Datterl

------ Kontakt ------

Georg Datterl

Geneon media solutions gmbh
Gutenstetter Straße 8a
90449 Nürnberg

HRB Nürnberg: 17193
Geschäftsführer: Yong-Harry Steiert

Tel.: 0911/36 78 88 - 26
Fax: 0911/36 78 88 - 20

www.geneon.de

Re: break-before breaks span?

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Georg,

AW: break-before breaks span?

Re: break-before breaks span?

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.
On 17 Nov 2008, at 15:36, Georg Datterl wrote:

Hi

> Todays question: Can break-before break span? If yes, why? If no,
> read on:
<snip />

I don't think so. Unless I'm missing something, the behavior you
describe is a bug.

If you want, please log this issue in Bugzilla, so it is not lost.

Thanks!

Andreas