Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by babloosony <ba...@gmail.com> on 2005/03/09 18:14:59 UTC

Problem with Setting up Jakarta Logging with AXIS

Hi All,

I am using AXIS 1.2 RC2, IBM WSAD 5.1.2, IBM WebSphere 5.0 Test
Enviroment inside WSAD. I am trying to setup Jakarta Commons Logging
with my AXIS web application deployed using WSAD. I have my
commons-logging.properties file and
log4j.properties file in my WEB-INF\classes\lib directory. Basically I
want see all types(levels like TRACE, DEBUG, INFO, WARN, ERROR, FATAL)
of log messages that axis classes use when I expose or consume any web
service.
Below are the content for these files :

commons-logging.properties
------------------------------
org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog

log4j.properties
------------------------------
log4j.rootCategory=DEBUG, dest1
log4j.appender.dest1=org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
log4j.appender.dest1.File=log4j.log
log4j.appender.dest1.Append=false
log4j.appender.dest1.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.dest1.layout.ConversionPattern=%p %t %c - %m %n

Now, I tried to consume a web service that is deployed on AXIS using
standalone java client program. The problem is  neither I see axis any
debug level messages or its above level message neither in a file
called log4j.log which I  configured in my log4j.properties Nor in
WSAD WebSphere 5.0 Test Environment Console ?

Am I doing anything in my configuration. Please suggest ?

Thanks & Regards,
Kumar.

Re: Problem with Setting up Jakarta Logging with AXIS

Posted by "David D. Lucas" <dd...@lse.com>.
For starters, shouldn't the commons-logging.properties file contain:

org.apache.commons.logging.log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger

You may also need to tell log4j the name of the properties if the
default is not being applied in the environment:  try adding to the JVM
environment the following "-D" property:
log4j.configuration=log4j.properties

And finally, read over the hints and suggestions at
http://www.vipan.com/htdocs/log4jhelp.html .

Best wishes,
Dave

babloosony wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using AXIS 1.2 RC2, IBM WSAD 5.1.2, IBM WebSphere 5.0 Test
> Enviroment inside WSAD. I am trying to setup Jakarta Commons Logging
> with my AXIS web application deployed using WSAD. I have my
> commons-logging.properties file and
> log4j.properties file in my WEB-INF\classes\lib directory. Basically I
> want see all types(levels like TRACE, DEBUG, INFO, WARN, ERROR, FATAL)
> of log messages that axis classes use when I expose or consume any web
> service.
> Below are the content for these files :
>

> commons-logging.properties
> ------------------------------
> org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog
>

> log4j.properties
> ------------------------------
> log4j.rootCategory=DEBUG, dest1
> log4j.appender.dest1=org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
> log4j.appender.dest1.File=log4j.log
> log4j.appender.dest1.Append=false
> log4j.appender.dest1.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
> log4j.appender.dest1.layout.ConversionPattern=%p %t %c - %m %n
>

> Now, I tried to consume a web service that is deployed on AXIS using
> standalone java client program. The problem is  neither I see axis any
> debug level messages or its above level message neither in a file
> called log4j.log which I  configured in my log4j.properties Nor in
> WSAD WebSphere 5.0 Test Environment Console ?
>
> Am I doing anything in my configuration. Please suggest ?
>

> Thanks & Regards,
> Kumar.

| David Lucas                      mailto: ddlucas @ lse.com |
| Lucas Software Engineering, Inc.   (740) 964-6248 Voice    |
| Unix,Java,C++,CORBA,XML,EJB        (614) 668-4020 Mobile   |
| Middleware,Frameworks              (888) 866-4728 Fax/Msg  |
| GPS Location:  40.0150 deg Lat,  -82.6378 deg Long         |
| IMHC: "Jesus Christ is the way, the truth, and the life."  |
| IMHC: "I know where I am; I know where I'm going."    <><  |

Notes: PGP Key Block=http://www.lse.com/~ddlucas/pgpblock.txt
IMHO="in my humble opinion" IMHC="in my humble conviction"
All trademarks above are those of their respective owners.