Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Alan Burlison <Al...@oracle.com> on 2015/05/17 13:58:26 UTC

Hadoop on Solaris: an introduction

You may have noticed this notification:

HADOOP-11985 Improve Solaris support in Hadoop

So I thought it might be helpful if I gave a bit of background. The
intent is to get Hadoop to the point where it builds "Out of the box"
with all native components on Solaris and then consider what, if any,
further work should be done. I work in the Solaris engineering group,
colleagues from our performance and ISV groups are also involved.

I've moved all the Solaris-related issues I've found so far to be
sub-tasks of HADOOP-11985, if you are aware of others please feel free
to either add them as subtasks or link to them from HADOOP-11985.

I'm also part of a team that's looking at Solaris-Linux compatibility
issues so if there are changes we could make to Solaris to make things
easier I'd be interested to hear about them as well, although that's
obviously a longer-term option.

--
Alan Burlison

Re: Hadoop on Solaris: an introduction

Posted by Alan Burlison <Al...@oracle.com>.
On 17/05/2015 21:57, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:

> quick question: when you say Solaris, what do you *really* mean?

Solaris 11 latest update, sparc and x86.

--
Alan Burlison

Re: Hadoop on Solaris: an introduction

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
Hi!

quick question: when you say Solaris, what do you *really* mean?

Thanks,
Roman.