Posted to dev@ambari.apache.org by Alejandro Fernandez <af...@hortonworks.com> on 2016/10/03 23:25:10 UTC

Categorizing Unit Tests

Hi devs,

I recently committed AMBARI-14439<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-14439> so that we can categorize unit tests and create maven profiles so that devs can easily run a first-pass of unit tests for the feature they are working on.
E.g.,
mvn clean test -P AlertTests
mvn clean test -P StackUpgradeTests

(these profiles exist in the top-level pom.xml)

Once those tests pass, the developer should still run a full set of unit tests. This should give developers immediate test results more quickly, and allow unit test frameworks to parallelize unit tests more easily.
I've only annotated several classes out of hundreds to provide an example; if anyone makes changes to unit tests, please annotate the classes with a category (or feel free to create your own category). E.g.,

@Category({ category.AlertTest.class})
public class AlertDefinitionHashTest extends TestCase {

Thank you in advance,
Alejandro Fernandez