Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Christoph Reck <Ch...@dlr.de> on 2000/11/20 15:59:30 UTC

Setting up a test/debugging environment

Could someone please describe/provide an apropiate test and
debugging class&properties-file environment to do some exaustive
tests on velocity. (I'm not a newbee, I know VL has undergone
lots of changes recently, but these seem not to be all in CVS
the current commiters surely have a better test.debug environment
than just JTest).

It is not possible to run the example/test.sh in the current snapshot
and the ...velocity.test.misc.Test.java class does not run due
to properties file mismatch (it does not find the template).

With such an env. I'll be able to get my (converted WM templates)
incrementally running, and either providing patches or problematic
test cases...

Hope someone (Geir?) can help me.

If nobody can give me the required hints, I'll need to disect the
JTest/TurbineVelocityService to put together a running environment.

BTW I'm willing to jump in on VL on a TODO... e.g. setting up
some generic context tools...
(I'm a 37 year old senior programmer with > 20 years of
 programming experience in more than 8 languages, UML, etc.)

Thanks,
Christoph

Re: Setting up a test/debugging environment

Posted by "Daniel L. Rall" <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Christoph Reck <Ch...@dlr.de> writes:

> Could someone please describe/provide an apropiate test and
> debugging class&properties-file environment to do some exaustive
> tests on velocity. (I'm not a newbee, I know VL has undergone
> lots of changes recently, but these seem not to be all in CVS
> the current commiters surely have a better test.debug environment
> than just JTest).
>
> It is not possible to run the example/test.sh in the current snapshot
> and the ...velocity.test.misc.Test.java class does not run due
> to properties file mismatch (it does not find the template).
>
> With such an env. I'll be able to get my (converted WM templates)
> incrementally running, and either providing patches or problematic
> test cases...
>
> Hope someone (Geir?) can help me.
>
> If nobody can give me the required hints, I'll need to disect the
> JTest/TurbineVelocityService to put together a running environment.
>
> BTW I'm willing to jump in on VL on a TODO... e.g. setting up
> some generic context tools...
> (I'm a 37 year old senior programmer with > 20 years of
>  programming experience in more than 8 languages, UML, etc.)

Hi Christoph.  If you're attempting to run the JUnit tests under
windows, there is a known CR/LF line ending issue.  The comparison
files used by the tests have a canonical line ending of a *nix LF.  I
started some work on correcting this problem, but have yet to finish.

We'd love to see some of those TODO items knocked off.
--

Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>