Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by dE <de...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/10 10:13:25 UTC

[users@httpd] event MPM:multiple clients per thread.

Hi!

I was configuring the MPM modules.

As per my understanding, the event module can handle more than one
client per thread; since session which are in a keep alive state will be
managed by a common thread freeing up the thread to handle other clients.

So, no. of threads per process is effectively 'no. of active concurrent
clients per process'.

Am I correct?

Re: [users@httpd] event MPM:multiple clients per thread.

Posted by dE <de...@gmail.com>.
On 09/10/14 16:57, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 4:13 AM, dE <de.techno@gmail.com
> <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi!
>
>     I was configuring the MPM modules.
>
>     As per my understanding, the event module can handle more than one
>     client per thread; since session which are in a keep alive state
>     will be managed by a common thread freeing up the thread to handle
>     other clients.
>
>     So, no. of threads per process is effectively 'no. of active
>     concurrent clients per process'.
>
>     Am I correct?
>

> It depends on how you define active.  With the event MPM in httpd 2.4,
> additional processing (beyond keepalive) does not require a dedicated
> thread.  Have a look at the "Async connections" columns at
> http://www.apache.org/server-status.  The connections being written to
> asynchronously are "active" from some perspective, though the module
> generating the response doesn't care about them anymore (in the
> typical scenario).

> http://emptyhammock.com/

Yes, that confirms to what I speculated. The no. of connections way
exceeds no. of total threads.

Thanks for confirming.

Re: [users@httpd] event MPM:multiple clients per thread.

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 4:13 AM, dE <de...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I was configuring the MPM modules.
>
> As per my understanding, the event module can handle more than one client
> per thread; since session which are in a keep alive state will be managed
> by a common thread freeing up the thread to handle other clients.
>
> So, no. of threads per process is effectively 'no. of active concurrent
> clients per process'.
>
> Am I correct?

It depends on how you define active.  With the event MPM in httpd 2.4,
additional processing (beyond keepalive) does not require a dedicated
thread.  Have a look at the "Async connections" columns at
http://www.apache.org/server-status.  The connections being written to
asynchronously are "active" from some perspective, though the module
generating the response doesn't care about them anymore (in the typical
scenario).

Born in Roswell... married an alien...
http://emptyhammock.com/