Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com> on 2005/06/30 06:10:36 UTC

Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0-pre2 PRERELEASE available! (migrating Bayes from DB_File)

--On Wednesday, June 29, 2005 6:45 PM -0700 Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org>
wrote:

> - added PostgreSQL, MySQL 4.1+, and local SDBM file Bayes storage
> modules. SQL   storage is now recommended for Bayes, instead of DB_File.
> NDBM_File support   has been dropped due to a major bug in that module.

Is a migration document included to show how to move Bayes to one of the
other back ends? Or perhaps a wiki page?

Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0-pre2 PRERELEASE available! (migrating Bayes from DB_File)

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> The page starts with "There are now multiple backend storage modules...."
> What is "now"? With what version did this become available?

I think the first interchangable backends were at 3.0, but that there are
more of them now.

        Loren

Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0-pre2 PRERELEASE available! (migrating Bayes from DB_File)

Posted by Ed Kasky <ed...@esson.net>.
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Kenneth Porter wrote:

> --On Thursday, June 30, 2005 12:31 AM -0500 Michael Parker
> <pa...@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> Sure, here is a basic procedure:
>> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/BayesMigration
>
> Great, that looks very helpful.
>
> The page starts with "There are now multiple backend storage modules...."
> What is "now"? With what version did this become available?
>
> Can the back end be specified on the sa-learn command line? With that, one
> can specify the old back end for the backup and the new back end for the
> restore without worrying about what the system setting is.

Having just completed a migration to MySql, I can tell you that the if you
follow the procedure outlined in the migration doc, you will see that the
settings in local.cf indicate the db mechanism.

Basicaly, you export your current bayes to a file, change the backend
settings in local.cf, restart SA and then import the file to the new
backend.

At least I think that is what you were looking for...

Ed
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Randomly generated quote:
God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh
-Voltaire, philosopher (1694-1778)

Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0-pre2 PRERELEASE available! (migrating Bayes from DB_File)

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.

Posted by Michael Parker <pa...@pobox.com>.
Kenneth Porter wrote:

> --On Wednesday, June 29, 2005 6:45 PM -0700 Justin Mason
> <jm...@jmason.org> wrote:
>
>> - added PostgreSQL, MySQL 4.1+, and local SDBM file Bayes storage
>> modules. SQL   storage is now recommended for Bayes, instead of DB_File.
>> NDBM_File support   has been dropped due to a major bug in that module.
>

> Is a migration document included to show how to move Bayes to one of
> the other back ends? Or perhaps a wiki page?

Sure, here is a basic procedure:
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/BayesMigration

Michael

Re: [sa-list] Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0-pre2 PRERELEASE available! (migrating Bayes

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Thursday, June 30, 2005 12:48 AM -0400 "Dan Mahoney, System Admin"
<da...@prime.gushi.org> wrote:

> Personally, in trying to migrate thousands of per-user bayes into SQL, I
> found that it a) took forever and b) consumed so much memory that I just
> found it an easier approach to say "screw it" and retrain.

I don't mind starting with a blank slate. I'm just wondering where I look
to see how to set up the DB. I've got MySQL installed and working, so I
just need the info to create the tables and set up the authentication.

(No need to cc replies to me.)

Re: [sa-list] Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0-pre2 PRERELEASE available! (migrating Bayes

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.

Posted by "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <da...@prime.gushi.org>.
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Kenneth Porter wrote:

Personally, in trying to migrate thousands of per-user bayes into SQL, I
found that it a) took forever and b) consumed so much memory that I just
found it an easier approach to say "screw it" and retrain.

YMMV, of course.  I believe SA does include a rudimentary and
heavily-disclaimered bayed migration script in the SQL folder (or
something similar).

-Dan

--

"You're a nomad billygoat!"