Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> on 2005/01/26 10:18:02 UTC

[RT] Management Prototype?

I think one area were Cocoon really lacks in functionality is
administration. We briefly discussed this topic some months ago.

WDYT about implementing a prototype with JMX? Don't know how this could
look like or what it can do, but perhaps someone with JMX knowledge has
some cool ideas, she is willing to test implement into 2.2. Based on
this prototype we could decide if it's worth going down this road or if
we should search for a different solution.

I know that there are a lot of pros and cons for/against JMX - the
discussion on the geronimo list is a good example of this. But it seems
that every project is using JMX, so imho we shouldn't "invent" something
different.

Carsten

Re: [RT] Management Prototype?

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> I know that there are a lot of pros and cons for/against JMX - the
> discussion on the geronimo list is a good example of this. But it seems
> that every project is using JMX, so imho we shouldn't "invent" something
> different.

Java 5 is using JMX to expose itself for monitoring. At this point IMO
there is no real justification for anything other than JMX for management.

+0 (good idea, no time for help)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [RT] Management Prototype?

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
>> Well shoot. I can help, but I don't have a lot of time to devote at
>> the moment.  I think the first item is to make a list of all the data
>> that should be collected and the operations that should be performed.
>> Then they should be prioritized and worked on in that order.
>>
> A volunteer!! Great !! :)
>
> Ok, a starting point could be the new Settings class (in the core
> package). It will contain all settings for Cocoon (like work directory
> etc.) - this is not finished yet, but can already used as a base to
> implement something.

Not that I know a lot about it but....
maybe it would be worth having
a look into jakarta commons modeler?

  http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/modeler/

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: [RT] Management Prototype?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Re: [RT] Management Prototype?

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Ok, it seems that most of us like this idea - great.
>
> Now, all we need is a volunter!! Anyone? - I can help with everything
> not directly related to JMX itself - if required.
>
> Carsten

Well shoot. I can help, but I don't have a lot of time to devote at the
moment.  I think the first item is to make a list of all the data that
should be collected and the operations that should be performed.  Then
they should be prioritized and worked on in that order.

It would be nice if there was a wrapper for JMX. We ended up building
our own. JMX is fairly raw.

Ralph

Re: [RT] Management Prototype?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Re: [RT] Management Prototype?

Posted by Ugo Cei <ug...@apache.org>.
Il giorno 26/gen/05, alle 10:33, Reinhard Poetz ha scritto:

> +0 (I think it makes sense trying it, but I can't help)

+0. Same as above.

   Ugo

--
Ugo Cei - http://agylen.com/blojsom/blog/

Re: [RT] Management Prototype?

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

Re: [RT] Management Prototype?

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> I think one area were Cocoon really lacks in functionality is
> administration. We briefly discussed this topic some months ago.
>
> WDYT about implementing a prototype with JMX? Don't know how this
> could look like or what it can do, but perhaps someone with JMX
> knowledge has some cool ideas, she is willing to test implement into
> 2.2. Based on this prototype we could decide if it's worth going down
> this road or if we should search for a different solution.
>
> I know that there are a lot of pros and cons for/against JMX - the
> discussion on the geronimo list is a good example of this. But it
> seems that every project is using JMX, so imho we shouldn't "invent"
> something different.

+10000.

I was thinking exactly the same recently and started (lazily) looking at
how we could create wrapper MBeans for components in the core service
manager.

There are also more and more cool JMX management consoles, and we
definitely shouldn't need to invent our own.

Sylvain

Re: [RT] Management Prototype?

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> I think one area were Cocoon really lacks in functionality is
> administration. We briefly discussed this topic some months ago.
>
> WDYT about implementing a prototype with JMX? Don't know how this
> could look like or what it can do, but perhaps someone with JMX
> knowledge has some cool ideas, she is willing to test implement into
> 2.2. Based on this prototype we could decide if it's worth going down
> this road or if we should search for a different solution.
>
> I know that there are a lot of pros and cons for/against JMX - the
> discussion on the geronimo list is a good example of this. But it
> seems that every project is using JMX, so imho we shouldn't "invent"
> something different.
>
> Carsten

JMX is the right way to go.  This is definitely something I would want
to be involved in.  I've worked on some of the JMX stuff in our products
and it isn't as easy as it should be.

Ralph