Posted to dev@celix.apache.org by Roy Lenferink <rl...@apache.org> on 2018/12/30 17:21:15 UTC

[DISCUSS] Celix site

Hi all,

Just before the year ends, I finished a proof of concept which IMO may
replace the current Celix website. Our current site still resides in SVN
and is using the Apache CMS for publishing any changes to the website. This
way it is hard for someone to contribute changes back to our site or even
for Celix committers it is hard to track down any errors during the build
process. As an example, with our move to Gitbox, the link on the Celix site
needed to be updated as well, which broke the side-menu its design [1]

A few months ago, the celix-site repository was created [2] with the
intention to move to git.

I have taken the liberty to redesign the website using Jekyll [3] as static
website generator and using bootstrap (MIT licensed) for the theme of the
website [4]. The source of this is still in my fork of the celix-site
repository if anyone wants to view it [5]. The main celix repository is
added as submodule and markdown files are copied from the celix repository
to the celix-site repository were they are converted to HTML by Jekyll.
I've chosen Jekyll over another static website generator as Hugo because of
Jekylls support for plugins. Community support for Jekyll is a bit broader
as well.

The master branch will be used for the source of the website, whereas the
asf-site branch will be used for the generated content of the website. A
live example of the (latest) generated website can be viewed here [6]. The
download page is the only thing not working on my hosted instance, but when
it will be hosted on ASF infrastructure this won't be a problem. Comparing
an input markdown file [7] with the generated output [8] I can say
everything is still perfectly readable.

Currently, I am using the publish.sh script to deploy the site from the
master to the asf-site branch, but ideally this will be executed by a
Jenkins job on builds.apache.org.

Are there any objections before I merge the changes back to the main
celix-site repository?

- Roy

[1] https://celix.apache.org
[2] https://github.com/apache/celix-site
[3] https://jekyllrb.com/
[4] https://getbootstrap.com/
[5] https://github.com/rlenferink/celix-site
[6] http://celix.roylenferink.nl/
[7]
https://github.com/apache/celix/blob/master/documents/getting_started/creating_a_simple_bundle.md
[8]
http://celix.roylenferink.nl/docs/celix/documents/getting_started/creating_a_simple_bundle.html

Re: [DISCUSS] Celix site

Posted by Roy Lenferink <le...@gmail.com>.
The broken links to the subprojects have been fixed now.

Re: [DISCUSS] Celix site

Posted by Pepijn Noltes <pe...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Celix site

Posted by Roy Lenferink <rl...@apache.org>.