Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Inge Solvoll <in...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/29 22:19:24 UTC

T5: What is NOT beautiful about Tapestry?

Hi!

I have been reading the "beautiful" thread and added my opinion about what's
great about Tapestry. It's nice to sum up why we all are so excited about
this, it obviously makes both us and the creator(s) feel good about
ourselves. But for a little while, I challenge us all to stop tapping each
others' backs and go into depth about what's not to like about our beloved
framework.

The most obvious questions that could be asked probably have some very
obvious answers. But T5, as I see it, is all about addressing stuff that
other frameworks have given up on and create excellent implementations
rather than just looking the other way. Difficult and uncomfortable
questions should be addressed the same way.

So:

What are the main reasons that T5 isn't one of the "big ones", when we all
seem to agree that it is so much better than most other frameworks out
there? Why is T5 NOT beautiful?

Hope I'm not insulting anyone, I'm a big fan too, I just think this actually
could lead to significant insight :)

Regards

Inge

Re: T5: What is NOT beautiful about Tapestry?

Posted by Otho <ta...@googlemail.com>.
Some interesting points here.

2009/4/30 kranga <kr...@k2d2.org>

> 1) Documentation: It is one thing to remove dependencies on framework
> interfaces but quite another to leave the developer hanging with no
> documentation. Programming by convention is programming in the dark if the
> convention is not known.

Yes. That is the main time-eater. Finding out how non-trivial things are
supposed to work. But that is a "feature" of most OS project's
documentation:
a) hello world
b) some simplistic blog/calendar/whatever without any relevance to real
world projects
c) bits and pieces all over the net.
And this is already good documentation as far as OS goes...

The main problem here is that non comitters probably cannot help in writing
the docs, since they just don't know enough. The result would not be better
as what is there.

One example of an excellent documentation in OS projects was Stripes
Framework original docs by Tim Fennel. Since I didn't check the project for
a long time I don't know about its current state.

2) Although Tapestry claims to be POJO, you still have to have a contract
> (whether it is methods by convention or annotated methods). In the long run
> whether this is really better than interface implementation is not fully
> proven (much like the current debate of whether dynamically typed languages
> will prove more difficult to maintain in the long run).

There is no debate. One just has to look at the sources of well known and
big scripted projects and the difficulties they have to maintain them. In
the end there is no difference between the ugly php hacks and the more
recent varieties of languages. If it is easy to program bad, then it will be
done. Especially under time pressure. Statically typed languages make a lot
of the more annoying mistakes hard to do, like typos which are only caught
at runtime or wrong assignments like assigning a char sequence to a variable
which is meant to be int and calculated upon. again only caught at runtime.

Not having to implement an interface makes it easier for tapestry to change
implicit contracts. That is a totally different beast when talking about
interfaces with methods. But if it would be only marker interfaces there is
anyways no difference between a certain package requirement or implementing
an interface, so no reason to change anything.

3) Lack of a component marketplace: Wow, 4 years on and this is still on my
> list. We wrote a gigantic application in Tapestry 3 which is still in
> production. But we've decided to write all new apps in JSF with the aim of
> quickly adopting 2.0 when the spec is released. The main reason - a plethora
> of components to choose from.

True. But since components are easy to make in Tapestry the market would
probably be very limited anyways. All the important building parts are
already there and for 95% of cases you get along with not more code than it
would need to adapt to a premade component. JSF components are shiny and
all, but they all require you to adapt to their needs while in Tapestry you
can tailor components for your specific needs with relatively low effort.
That said, some more premades would be nice :)

> 4) Developer mindshare: Our analysis with Tapestry 3 shows that for every
> developer we hire, we have to write off 2-4 weeks until they become well
> versed in Tapestry. I don't believe T5 will be any different. You cannot
> argue against a standard like JSF that is supported by vendors. The lack of
> penetration of JSF speaks to its terrible initial design which hopefully
> will be rectified in 2.0
>
> I don't believe Tapestry will dwindle and die but I don't see it becoming
> the defacto standard ala Struts in the early 2000s.

Yes, JSF gets all the hype because it is a standard. But reading in Java
magazines makes it clear very fast, that even simple problems have quite
complicated solutions. It is an endless well of articles for the mags and so
the visibility even rises _because_ it is terribly designed. And a standard.
And because it has shiny components with slick buttons.

Re: T5: What is NOT beautiful about Tapestry?

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
Em Fri, 01 May 2009 11:36:46 -0300, Tony Giaccone <tg...@gmail.com>
escreveu:

> That said, I'm not familiar at all with the changes in T5. However, the
> one thing that in the past has been a constant source of difficulty for
> everyone at my organization who's worked to learn Tapestry is the
> painful process of rewinding loops.

Welcome to Tapestry 5, that has no rewinding phase! :) Yes, the rewiding
in T4 was really hard to understand, so it was one of the first major
differences between T4 and T5.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://www.arsmachina.com.br/thiago

Re: T5: What is NOT beautiful about Tapestry?

Posted by Tony Giaccone <tg...@gmail.com>.
Let me second this point.  I know Howard used his experience with
WebObjects as the starting point for Tapestry. I wish that starting point
included the kind of loop rendering that WebObjects provides. It's clear,
simple, straight forward. I imagine it wasn't used because it requires that
an instance of the object that represents the rendered page be bound to the
users session for an extended period of time, instead of going back into the
pool when the request is done.  I assume this was done to improve
performance, and scalability.  In my humble opinion, the trade off wasn't
worth it. :-)

Personally, having been familiar with and written 20 or 30 WebObjects Apps,
Tapestry was close enough, and yet different enough to be really both a joy
and totally annoying.

I haven't used T5 yet, we're going to continue using 4.1 for the foreseeable
future. We managed to get the funding to rewrite our app from an internally
developed toolset to T4, but I'm sure I wouldn't be able to get the funding
to do another major rewrite.

That said, I'm not familiar at all with the changes in T5. However, the one
thing that in the past has been a constant source of difficulty for everyone
at my organization who's worked to learn Tapestry is the painful process of
rewinding loops.

Tony Giaccone

Posted by alanearl <al...@dash.com.ph>.
Yup, its true the only problem of Tapestry 5.
It lacks full documents that can help many newbies
to learn this framework.

As long as its FREE I will be a Tapestry lover...
Not all things in this world is EASY!

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

> Now as far as funding documentation is concerned. Yeah, that's the problem
> isn't it. Who pays, who does the work, where does it happen.  I have the
> good luck right now, of being like the the consultants in that old
> commercial by UPS professional services. The one where two consultants
> propose a plan for improving upgrading and streamlining a company's business
> process and the CEO says. "Ok, great I love this plan let's do it!". At
> which point the consultants start to laugh... "Dot it? Do it!, We don't DO
> the work, we just tell you what needs to be done." :-)
>
> At some point, I'd be happy to contribute some hours to a task like that,
> but at the present moment, my own chaotic life has my full attention.
>
> Tony

The essence of documentation, good documentation, is that it can't be
done in dribs and drabs. It takes time, and focus, and organization.
That's why its tough.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry
Director of Open Source Technology at Formos

Re: T5: What is NOT beautiful about Tapestry?

Posted by Tony Giaccone <tg...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > 4) Stability - you need to lay down a road map that shows management and
> > developers that they can count on a stable environment for the
> foreseeable
> > future.  Howard, T6 can't be so different  from T5 that you have to
> rewrite
> > apps. Tapestry has a bad reputation and if you want general adoption, you
> > personally have to assure everyone that the days of major changes in the
> > framework have ended.
>
> Now you are citing yourself as a newbie. Anyone who's followed this
> mailing list has seen Tapestry 6 come up and everyone, including
> myself, strike it down. Sure, there's a couple of things that I'd do
> differently now, but not enough to address the kind of effort involved
> in yet another rewrite. Again, 5.1 is a demonstration of the future
> path, where new features can be added non-disruptively.

Well the issue of version numbers is always a case of shifting sands. One
person's point release is another's major version.  Certainly Tapestry will
continue to improve, over time.  The version numbers will continue to
increase.. and at some point version 5.9.9 will yield. ;-)  Or perhaps we'll
stay at 5 for the foreseeable future, in which case, the point change from
5.x to 5.y becomes a major set of feature enhancements.  I don't want to
argue that point, I just want to say that I've been doing work with tapestry
since 2005, so I may be a newbie to the list, but I've had to support the
choice of Tapestry in a variety of circumstances.  Stability is a concern
when trying to convince an organization to adopt a technology and one that's
not been helped by major changes in architecture.  Also one that can only be
addressed by time.

Posted by Markus Joschko <ma...@gmail.com>.
The documentation point is often raised and of course it is never
enough documentation and a book like writing that guides carefully
through tapestry would be really great.

However I think that the available documentation is still very, very
good. Most of the things I need to know I find in the regular docs. If
that doesn't help the javadocs are extremely helpful. There aren't
that many open source projects that have such a decent documentation.
I have to confess that I sometimes have to browse a couple of pages
before I find the information. Maybe an integrated search in the site
would help

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 8:01 AM, Tony Giaccone <tg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll give my opinion on this, and I think I can speak with some authority as
> I used to work in WebObjects which at the time was by far head and shoulders
> above the rest of the pack of web development frameworks. In fact I would
> say that WebObject still in many ways leads the pack of Frameworks and it's
> pretty much been stagnant for the last 5 years.  In addition while I've not
> worked with T5 yet, I have done work in both T3 and T4.

I hope you get a chance to use T5 soon; it's the same "flavor" as T4,
but a whole new recipe ... the differences are more than the sum of
the deltas.

> 1) Tapestry has a deserved reputation for being a framework who's foundation
> is on shifting sands.  The changes from T3 to T4, and then from T4 to T5
> have been enormous.  In the enterprise world, that's a major disadvantage.
> That the code is not backwards compliant, means that for an enterprise to
> stick with T5 it has to either continue on a framework that's become
> stagnant, or worse dead. Or invest a large amount of money re-writing an app
> to support a new architecture.

I'll accept the shifting sands from Tx upto T4.  One of the reasons
I'm very interested in getting T5.1 out the door is to demonstrate my
contention that T5's new architecture supports adding significant new
features (i.e., performance boosts, better templates, gzip
compression, javascript aggregation) without breaking backwards
compatibility.

> 2) Hivemind - Learning Tapestry for many developers was an uphill battle.
> Understanding Hivemind and how to make use of it, was more like Mt Everest.
> Documentation was miserable, examples sparse.  I was able to get the
> Hivemind to spin up services and work with Spring but boy it wasn't easy.
> Hivemind is gone in T5?  The IOC container has to be well understood, well
> described, and documented with examples at the same level as Tapestry
> rendering frameworks.

I think the new IoC container is much easier to understand, and
there's no XML. People still stumble over the concept of service
configurations. However, there's a lot more examples now, in the
cookbooks and elsewhere.

> 3) Documentation - Good solid reference examples of how to do do simple
> apps, explained in detail. Most developers want a framework to be like lego
> building blocks. I do A, B, C and D and I get E. I assemble a dozen
> different pieces and I have my app. Really how complicated are most web
> apps? They are forms and workflow and validation.  To get developers to use
> your framework you need good examples of how to do each, laid out and
> described in simple guaranteed to work steps. There need to be examples of
> these  in both Netbeans and Eclipse; preferably several examples of each.

Are you willing to fund this kind of effort?  Didn't think so.

Documentation is *hard*.  I think Tapestry should get some kudos that
the documentation is at least accurate. There's a wealth of very rich
JavaDoc, the component reference, and lots of hand-tooled reference
documentation.

Nobody likes to do documentation. That's a problem in a volunteer
effort. If Tapestry's committers reported to me, I'd be parceling out
the kind of documentation you're talking about.  That's not how it
works.

In a separate thread, I'm promoting the use of a wiki as the basis of
future documentation. I think opening up documentation to the
community is the only way of bridging the gap ... but that brings in
its own problems w.r.t. oversight and accuracy (not to mention
readability and consistency).

Posted by Tony Giaccone <tg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Inge Solvoll <in...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Otho <ta...@googlemail.com>.
alex,

Posted by Inge Solvoll <in...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Kotchnev <ak...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pedro Januário <pr...@gmail.com>.
I totally agree with Hugo's ideia.
The wiki sounds good and should be a easy to make documentation about common
problems.

2009/4/30 Hugo Palma <hu...@gmail.com>

> I agree a book would be great, what happened to the tapestry5-book
> project http://code.google.com/p/tapestry5-book/ ?
>
> Still, i think a lot better could be done with the online documentation.
> I believe the structure of the online documentation should be very
> similar to a book, it should start with the basics and evolve to more
> "hardcore" stuff from there. Just the fact that the current
> documentation is structured with only one level of depth and the list
> of item is ordered alphabetically makes the task of finding some
> information much more difficult.
>
> I for example really like how the hibernate documentation is
> structure, i usually have to problem finding what i'm looking for
> there.
> So, maybe the wiki could be a starting place for the birth of a
> documentation with such a structure.
>
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Blower, Andy
> <An...@proquest.co.uk> wrote:
> > I think you hit the nail on the head Carl. The documentation is okay
> generally (some bits poor, some very good) but there is not enough to tie it
> all together and guide new developers so they know what they can do with T5.
> I'm not convinced that the main documentation should attempt this on its
> own, or whether it should strive to be a great reference with some more
> higher level introductory/discovery bits along with a good published book to
> handle introducing everything and tying it together. Having the only
> published book for T5 being so out of date is a huge problem for the
> framework in my opinion.
> >
> > I don't think a wiki is the answer to this, I really like knowing that
> the documentation that I'm looking at is for a specific version of Tapestry
> and is updated when the code is - I would not want to lose that.
> >
> > Andy.

Cumprimentos...
Pedro Januário

Re: T5: What is NOT beautiful about Tapestry?

Posted by Hugo Palma <hu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Blower, Andy" <An...@proquest.co.uk>.

Posted by Carl Crowder <ca...@taptu.com>.
Discovery of it's parts. Franky the documentation is lacking and even
with reading the mailing list, reading the howtos wiki, buying the
Tapestry 5 book and working with it for over a year I still come across
things I never knew existed that would have solved a problem I've had. I

Posted by Pedro Januário <pr...@gmail.com>.
Ok, i will try to expose one of my issues.

<t:delegate t:to="activeMode"/>

<t:block id="processFormFields_1">
            <----- Other fields---->

            <select t:id="subject" t:type="select"
t:model="prop:subjectModel" t:value="prop:subject"
                    t:mixins="ck/OnEvent" event="change"
onCompleteCallback="updateSubsubjects"/>

             <----- Other fields---->

</t:block>
<t:block id="processFormFields_2">
            <----- Other fields---->

            <select t:id="subject" t:type="select"
t:model="prop:subjectModel" t:value="prop:subject"
                    t:mixins="ck/OnEvent" event="change"
onCompleteCallback="updateSubsubjects"/>

             <----- Other fields---->

</t:block>

The two blocks will never be displayed together, and i need the id of the
component because i need to have component on the server side.

I have solutionated my problem with a uggly solution.

<t:delegate t:to="activeMode"/>

<t:block id="processFormFields_1">
            <----- Other fields---->

            <t:delegate t:to="subjectBlock"/>

             <----- Other fields---->

</t:block>
<t:block id="processFormFields_2">
            <----- Other fields---->

            <t:delegate t:to="subjectBlock"/>

             <----- Other fields---->
</t:block>

<t:block id="subjectBlock">
            <select t:id="subject" t:type="select"
t:model="prop:subjectModel" t:value="prop:subject"
                    t:mixins="ck/OnEvent" event="change"
onCompleteCallback="updateSubsubjects"/>
</t:block>

This was one of the multiple times (and that i remember :D ) that i have
faced  this issue.

I have worked with dynamic structure and liked that kind of behaviour but i
know that dynamic structure my have some serious and dificult problems to
solve.

2009/4/30 Christian Edward Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>

> I'm interested about this - can you elaborate what you mean by this?  What
> about the structure is too static, and what dynamism are you looking for?
>
> Christian.
>
> On 29-Apr-09, at 19:16 , Pedro Januário wrote:
>
>  - The static structure and dynamic behaviour need.
>>

> Christian Edward Gruber
> e-mail: christianedwardgruber@gmail.com
> weblog: http://www.geekinasuit.com/

Cumprimentos...
Pedro Januário

Re: T5: What is NOT beautiful about Tapestry?

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pedro Januário <pr...@gmail.com>.
I'm working with tapestry for 6 months and my main problems were:
- The lack of "good" documentation and common problems solutions
documentation;
- The static structure and dynamic behaviour need.

Sometimes it's painfull when you need to have a reference for the component
on the java code, when we want to have two exlusive blocks with the some
field inside.

2009/4/29 manuel aldana <al...@gmx.de>

> Inge Solvoll schrieb:
>
>> 1. What, politically, made it hard to introduce T5 in your organisation?
>> Who
>> resisted, and why?
>>

> I am sure there a two things which could help at promotion for convincing
> decision makers: Real big live sites running under tapestry and a good up to
> date book.
>
>  2. What, technically, made it hard to introduce/teach T5 among your
>> programmer colleagues? (some already mentioned documentation)
>>
> As bigger sites hardly start from scratch, I see the legacy reason as a big
> technical point. Usually big codebases rely on action/command focused
> frameworks (e.g. struts, spring mvc) and it is extremely hard to refactor
> them to page and component based ones. Also I see that frontend people are
> being used to work with JSP, freemarker etc. and are a bit hesitating to
> look at "yet another" templating technology.
>
> I really like tapestry concepts and helps a lot to think in different
> directions even if you don't use it in daily job. About tap-ioc I really
> like to java-code style injection and configuration instead for XML.
>
> - manuel aldana
> aldana@gmx.de
> software-engineering blog: http://www.aldana-online.de

Cumprimentos...
Pedro Januário

Re: T5: What is NOT beautiful about Tapestry?

Posted by manuel aldana <al...@gmx.de>.

-

Posted by Inge Solvoll <in...@gmail.com>.
Let's say that the "don't get me wrong, I love Tapestry"-part is implicit in
all replies to this thread, so we're all covered :)

Some more questions:

1. What, politically, made it hard to introduce T5 in your organisation? Who
resisted, and why?
2. What, technically, made it hard to introduce/teach T5 among your
programmer colleagues? (some already mentioned documentation)
3. Why is JSF more popular than Tapestry? Other than the obvious "standard
from Sun"? Something about documentation again maybe? Ask the Spring guys
about fighting against standards from Sun. They beat EJB... :)

Posted by Robert Zeigler <ro...@scazdl.org>.

Posted by Imants Firsts <im...@inbox.lv>.
The problem probably lies with the fact that many of us have learned T5 gradually while it was being developed and that is why most of the things seem easy and natural. It might not be so when you see the T5 for the first time. Don't get me wrong, I think everything is ok with the framework, but some more examples would certainly help.

Re: T5: What is NOT beautiful about Tapestry?

Posted by Daniel Jue <te...@gmail.com>.
I agree, I think this will be a constructive thread.

So things that are not beautiful yet are a lack of tooling, aside from the
helpful Loom plugin.  I only use eclipse here, so I'm not sure if there are
plugins for other IDEs.

Sometimes I wish there were more industry type examples out there, since I
often find myself writing something that is overly verbose.  I find myself
looking at code on http://www.google.com/codesearch .  Maybe a reproduction
of the T4 Showcase app would make a good archetype.

Maven usage used to be a problem for some, but I think most of us have
gotten used to it or have worked around it.

Posted by Hugo Palma <hu...@gmail.com>.
As someone that usually tries to "sell" the idea of using Tapestry to
others the main resistance points have been:

- People love drag&drop and autocompletion :o) . It's a major letdown
when i tell people they won't have any IDE integration with this
framework.
- The backwards compatibility thingy always comes into play. I always
explain that with T5 that shouldn't be a problem but people always
make the "yeah right, that's what you said about T4". I guess this one
will work itself out in time.

As a developer:

- The eternal documentation problem.
- Support for AJAX is still very limited compared to the huge potential here.
- No one works issues out except Howard. At least my experience as an
issue creator is that the only developer to ever pick up on the issues
i created and resolve them is Howard except some 1 or 2 cases. This
obviously leads to longer times in issue resolution. Also, this leads
back to the "one man show" problem tapestry has had although i feel
that it's much better than a few years ago. I guess what i'm trying to
say is that it's about time the other developers have a more active
role on the development of the framework.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 9:19 PM, Inge Solvoll <in...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have been reading the "beautiful" thread and added my opinion about what's
> great about Tapestry. It's nice to sum up why we all are so excited about
> this, it obviously makes both us and the creator(s) feel good about
> ourselves. But for a little while, I challenge us all to stop tapping each
> others' backs and go into depth about what's not to like about our beloved
> framework.
>
> The most obvious questions that could be asked probably have some very
> obvious answers. But T5, as I see it, is all about addressing stuff that
> other frameworks have given up on and create excellent implementations
> rather than just looking the other way. Difficult and uncomfortable
> questions should be addressed the same way.
>
> So:
>
> What are the main reasons that T5 isn't one of the "big ones", when we all
> seem to agree that it is so much better than most other frameworks out
> there? Why is T5 NOT beautiful?
>
> Hope I'm not insulting anyone, I'm a big fan too, I just think this actually
> could lead to significant insight :)
>
> Regards
>
> Inge

Re: T5: What is NOT beautiful about Tapestry?

The flexibility of T5, in that almost every task it performs is
handled by a different service that can be overwritten has a downfall.
It sometimes takes me a long time to figure out what service handles
what task and how can it be overwritten (the under documentation
argument obviously plays a role here). Some of the reflection can make
debugging harder at times and annotations over POJO's takes some time
to get used to (but maybe that is a java5+ wide argument).

My 2 cents,
Joost