Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Nishi Kant <NK...@sirf.com> on 2008/11/10 07:26:21 UTC

Tomcat Performance

Hi All,

I'm trying to optimize the performance of my server, which is deployed
in a cluster environment using Apache Load balancer and Tomcat
container. mod_jk is used to communicate between load balancer and
tomcat container.  Apache is configured to use worker MPM mode.  I have
done various tests to find optimized tomcat, apache and Linux
configuration for my application. Following are the machines I'm using
for this load test.

Machines configurations

------------------------------------

Apache Load balancer::  2.8 GHz Dual Core , 4GB RAM

Tomcat ::                      2.66 GHz 2 CUP, Dual Core, 6 GB RAM

There is an interesting observation when I alter my configuration to run
multiple tomcat instances on same machine. My throughput increases to 2
times the original throughput if I run 2 instance of tomcat instead of
single tomcat instance. I'm trying to understand this behavior as I'm
not very keen in running multiple tomcat instances on same machines.

Thanks,

Nishi

RE: Tomcat Performance

Posted by Nishi Kant <NK...@sirf.com>.
Hi Ronald,

Thanks for the response.
With in the server, there is not much of a locking issues. Just to give
you more insight, server is like a proxy for some of the request. All
such request are delegated to an external server which may or may HTTP
protocol to handle the request.

Thanks,
Nishi

________________________________

Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 2:54 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Cc: Nishi Kant
Subject: Re: Tomcat Performance

2 Instances don't compete for locking between threads. So possibly your
application depends a lot on locking?

Ronald.

Op maandag, 10 november 2008 om 7:26 uur schreef Tomcat Users List

Subject: Tomcat Performance	 Date: Mon Nov 10 07:26:21 CET 2008

Re: Tomcat Performance

Posted by Ronald Klop <ro...@base.nl>.

Re: Tomcat Performance

Posted by Pavel Savara <pa...@intrade.com>.
May be your tomcat is configured to server only limited number of
clients so it doesn't use all hardware power when you deploy two tomcats
you can serve twice as much clients.

I would say tune tomcat configuration to accept more clients
connections.

Palko