Posted to dev@community.apache.org by sh...@e-z.net on 2016/09/03 21:31:46 UTC

RE: [Fwd: Time to propose a CS Capstone Project!]

Recommending a project to OSU Capstone;

I have had success when able to commit 3 or more hours per week planning
the supervision and direction of student projects.

Students work best when project is communicated with enthusiastic support
to solving their logistic problems.  The mentor may also need to offer
project discipline and direction for students that underperform.
I have also had to revise the project requrements when a student drops
the school course work, to have a successful project. The mentor should
be able to identify project related resources and documentation - thus
maximizing the student's attention to building the proposed project.

The project is at best a learning platform for students even if the work
is not germane to providing patches to a given Apache project.  If their
work can enhance the code base of your Apache project, that would be a
blessing.  The students should end with a positive attitude toward the
Apache Software Foundation and encouraged participation in the community.

The project should be designed for a public display in May 2017 as part
of the school engineering exposition.  The exposition has tables or booth
space to showcase their student project.

I can offer some on-campus time with students for any Apache project
that is willing to offer and mentor an Oregon State University - Capstone
project.

I am also offering a project for consideration this school year.

Sincerely,
Steven J. Hathaway
shathaway@a.o