Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> on 2020/05/19 17:47:21 UTC

Toward 1.7.0

Contributions to branch-1 have been organically declining for a long while.
A community focus on stable version 2.x and forward looking work on master
branch is absolutely where contributors and committers should be spending
their time. That said, until at least the next calendar year, at my
employer, our production will continue to be based on branch-1. I plan to
continue occasional RM duties to release from branch-1 on at least a
quarterly cadence until then. Next up is 1.7.0, assuming there are changes
committed that necessitate a minor increment.

I believe there will be changes that should increment the minor version. A
colleague is thinking about backporting HBASE-18095 to branch-1.
HBASE-18095 is an optional non-default configuration that removes client
side direct dependencies on ZooKeeper for non-administrative activity. It
simplifies client side connection and timeout management, for ensuring
things like fail fast behavior. As soon as it goes in, I would like to make
this new option available in a release. This may happen in the next few
weeks.

If you happen to have pending work intended for commit to branch-1, and
would like to make this train, you have some time, but should endeavor to
get it committed sooner rather than later. If you need help getting changes
in please contact me at apurtell@apache.org. I do follow JIRA still, but
not with the same intensity as in past years, so may miss it if you
at-mention me.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: Toward 1.7.0

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
That would be great Reid. For the next release I’ll ping you and we can walk through the steps together.

Re: Toward 1.7.0