Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com> on 2007/02/07 17:03:31 UTC

DSL

All right... maybe I _am_ ready to prototype this
thing (see the userlist if you're not up to speed).  I
finally came up with a name I like, so maybe that's a
sign.

So what's the deal with starting a sandbox Antlib?  Do
I need 3 committers when I write the proposal, or
later if/when it's ready for proper?  The charter
isn't really clear (to me at least) on that point.

-Matt

Re: DSL

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Feb 2007, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> speaking of stuff in the sandbox, has anyone looked at the http
>> stuff in there?
>
> Not at all.  And right now I'm even more burried in work than I
> imagined two weeks ago, so no hope for now, sorry.
>
> Do you consider it stable?

yes, with the caveat that it is built on java.net http and not
httpclient. Its best tested functionally (with a running server nearby),
so I need to do some work on testing it. I'm busy reworking my
smartfrog-hosted distributed test infrastructure right now, so could
bring up this stuff under it as another use case.

-steve

Re: DSL

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 07 Feb 2007, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> speaking of stuff in the sandbox, has anyone looked at the http
> stuff in there?

Not at all.  And right now I'm even more burried in work than I
imagined two weeks ago, so no hope for now, sorry.

Do you consider it stable?

Stefan

Re: DSL

Posted by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
On 2/7/07, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:
> Matt Benson wrote:
> > All right... maybe I _am_ ready to prototype this
> > thing (see the userlist if you're not up to speed).  I
> > finally came up with a name I like, so maybe that's a
> > sign.
> >
> > So what's the deal with starting a sandbox Antlib?  Do
> > I need 3 committers when I write the proposal, or
> > later if/when it's ready for proper?  The charter
> > isn't really clear (to me at least) on that point.
>
> oh, just check some stuff in. all the voting stuff is for when it
> graduates. Though I think there are some rules about deleting dead stuff.

Couldn't agree more - I want to see this antlib for an alternative syntax :)

> speaking of stuff in the sandbox, has anyone looked at the http stuff in
> there?

Sorry Steve, bit snowed under now, but will look at it after Tet (I promise...)
Kev

Re: DSL

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Re: DSL

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Feel free to improve it ;-)
>
> Actually that was another question on my part--the
> "officialness" of the charter.

We should probably vote on the changes via lazy consensus in the end.

> If I have license I wouldn't mind putting my grubby little English
> comp hands on it,

Most of it has been stolen from the Jakarta Commons charter and much
of the rest put together by non-native speakers.  I'm sure it could
use a little brushover.

Stefan

Re: DSL

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.
--- Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, Matt Benson
> <gu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > All right... maybe I _am_ ready to prototype this
> > thing (see the userlist if you're not up to
> speed).
>
> Will need to do my reading later, but ...
>
> > So what's the deal with starting a sandbox Antlib?
>
> Just do.
>
> And please update the xdocs for sandbox as well.
>
> > Do I need 3 committers when I write the proposal,
> or later if/when
> > it's ready for proper?
>
> Only when "promoting" the Antlib.
>
> > The charter isn't really clear (to me at least) on
> that point.
>
> Feel free to improve it ;-)

Actually that was another question on my part--the
"officialness" of the charter.  If I have license I
wouldn't mind putting my grubby little English comp
hands on it, but I didn't want to invalidate it by
changing it after the fact.

-Matt

Re: DSL

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.